Thread: mojo to mach 5

mtbr member

mojo to mach 5

I'm thinking of dumping my Mojo for a mach 5. I dont like the carbon and feel that the bike is a tiny bit too big for me (5'5" 31"inseam on a medium, female). I would like to run a slightly longer stem. I have a 60mm on my mojo and the front end wanders like crazy on long steep climbs. I liked the 90mm stem i had on my 2001 Intense Tracer. Seems like the prices have come down on the mach 5's now that the mach 5.7 is out, but I am concerned that the mach 5 will not be as plush as my mojo and not as stable on the downhills. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have ridden both.

mtbr member
    Hey fishercat, I too was contemplating both bikes in the Fall of '09. I wanted a longer travel trailbike and decided on one with the DW-link. A buddy, whom I often go to for wrenching advice, rode a Mojo SL at the time and I thought that was the one for me. I did NOT get to try his bike though since he is smaller than I and I wouldn't be comfortable on it.

After consulting with Ibis reps, I was about to pull the trigger on a medium frame (5'9", 32" inseam). My buddy then steered me towards a Pivot Mach 5. The reason is that I'm more of an endurance guy, loves to climb. He pointed out that this would give me a more similar position to my XC bike (Spec Epic) and be a much better pedaler, while maintaining long travel ride going down. He was right. A couple of comparisons are online as well between the two, including one in MB Action Mag in Ask RC.

So to answer your question, based on RC's response, you will have a plusher and more stable descents on the Mojo. The Mach 5 will be better at hammering uphills and the singletracks. I love my Mach 5 and wouldn't trade it for the Mojo...but that's based on my preferences.

Do you think your frame is too big for your torso? At 5'5" & 31" inseam, I think the medium Mojo is a bit too big?

mtbr member
    yeah i think the bike is a bit too big, but a 15" frame is tiny. mach 5 in small seems like a compromise. mojo rep put me on a medium though. i think my long arms and legs put me on a size up, but i am starting to feel like maybe i am just used to riding bikes that are a little bit big for me.

mtbr member
    That is surprising about the advice given to you by Ibis. I was told to get the medium Mojo SL frame with a 110mm stem. He said the Mojo was meant to run slightly smaller in the top tube for the rider, with a longer stem to balance out the slacker head tube angle so you don't lose front traction. You have the opposite. Be more mindful on the top tube length, rather than the seat tube length, when it comes to mtn bikes since nowadays the top tubes are all so sloped down for better clearance.

You belong on a small Mach 5, my dear.

mtbr member
    mach 5 is long in the top tube, but i still think it might work better than the mojo for me.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I am right under 6' tall and while I could ride a large, I can ride a medium to. I went with the medium and with a 90mm stem and 27" handlebars it fits me perfect. I think the Mach 5 is the best climbing bike and it decends very well. I found that the Rockshox Revelation up front made it a lot plusher then the stock fox. I am able to run through most rock gardens in the 20mph range and not worry about a thing. It is plenty plush for me. I have not had any trouble either with keeping up with mojo's on the down hills. the only thing I find not to be the best on the Mach 5 is the jumping. It seems to lean a little forward in the air. I was running a 110mm stem with 26" bars, both out of aluminium and it made a big difference switching to Carbon fiber bars and shorter stem as far as desending goes. I have actually also been climbing a bit better with the new set up to. I have owned my mach 5 for 2 years now and it keeps riding better and better. I keep coming home and telling my wife I just had the best ride. I have not had a bike that makes me this happy ever.

BTW... my wife is just under 5'5" and rides an xs FTM, (which has the same geometry as the xs mach 5), with a 110mm stem, set back seat post and she loves it. I went with the FTM for her becuase it is a lighter frame and has the carbon seat stays to take the edge off. It climbs very well too but you have to switch the propedal on and off. I think it does everything as well except for square edge bumps.

mtbr member
    the ftm is nice. it was in the running for me at one point. i like the dw link better tho. my 2001 tracer was horst link. vpp is okay too, i may need to give another shot as well.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    the ftm is nice. it was in the running for me at one point. i like the dw link better tho. my 2001 tracer was horst link. vpp is okay too, i may need to give another shot as well.
    Try a one inch wider handlebar on your Mojo. It will slow and calm the steering response and add downhill and climbing stability and climbing power from increased leverage. You could use a firmer shock tune or increased propedal all the time to gain a firmer more XC suspension feel similar to the Mach 5. However, the medium Mojo does seem long for your height.

Try to get a test ride. The Mach 5 and all Pivot bikes are great.

mtbr member
    i just realized the small mach 5 has the same top-tube length as the medium mojo ! santa cruz puts me on their mediums on all frames which also have similar top tubes as my Mojo. I guess if it feels okay it is okay. Too much information can sometimes be a bad thing especially for obsessive types like me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I test rode a Mach 5 and loved it. However, I ended up going with the Mojo because it just felt better to me. The Mach 5 felt more stretched out and more XC to me than the Mojo. I came from an Intense 5.5 and I thought that the Mach 5 had a similar feel.

I would suggest test riding a Mach 5. It is an incredible climber! I highly suggest a thorough test ride of any bike that you are considering.

I am a huge fan of Pivot and I am sure that the 5.7 would have been considered if it was available when I made my purchase.

Also, have you tried a shorter stem on your Mojo? That could be a $45 fix

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Try a one inch wider handlebar on your Mojo. It will slow and calm the steering response and add downhill and climbing stability and climbing power from increased leverage. You could use a firmer shock tune or increased propedal all the time to gain a firmer more XC suspension feel similar to the Mach 5. However, the medium Mojo does seem long for your height.

Try to get a test ride. The Mach 5 and all Pivot bikes are great.
    Derby is right. Everyone is big on running a short stem but with narrow bars, it can be a nasty experience. Stem length needs to be matched with the correct width bars. Short stems=wider bars. Long stem=narrower bars.

Short stem+narrow bars = very twitchy front end.

Long stem+ wide bars= very, very stable (too stable!)

In addition, all of these need to take into consideration your bike and bike set-up.

mtbr member
    well I finally ditched my mojo and went for a mach 5. i got a great deal on a slightly used frame and built it up with parts from my mojo sl. I have done countless searches on the mojo to mach 5 comparison and it seems like the mojo always comes up on top. I have to say I completely disagree. The Mach 5 just feels so much more solid than my mojo sl did. At 120lbs I didnt think I would notice a frame stiffness difference but it is one of the first things I noticed about the M5. It just feels rock solid. There is no pedal bob at all on the bike. It is not as plush feeling as the mojo but that was remedied for me by letting a bit of air out of the rear tire. The bike tracks better and climbs better than my mojo did, and just feels a lot more solid underneath me. I am climbing in the middle ring as opposed to the small ring up front. I also love the higher bottom bracket, especially for the east coast technical trails i ride. I banged my pedals on everything on the mojo which drove me crazy. I lost a bit of confidence descending tech steeps on my mojo, and already feel my confidence coming back on the M5, again due to how solid the bike feels, and the slightly longer wheelbase. The sizing on the M5 just suits me better as well. I am extremely happy with my decision to go with the mach 5 even though i was worried because of all the reviews.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Thanks for the update. What tires are you running? are they UST, Tubed, or Stans'ed. (I made that last word up, but hopefully it's understandable)

mtbr member
    tires are tubeless on easton ea90 wheels. wtb weirwolf 2.1 on the back, specialized tire on the front. i forget the name but it looks just like the maxis minion fron tire. 2.3. i like the tires a lot as well. i think minions are probably my favorite, but its such a pita to change out tubeless tires for me that i will stick with what i have. they havent let me down.