mtbr member

Manitou Evolver ISX6 on the FB

So I have had an ISX 6 sitting around for the past couple of months as it was a take off from my Nomad. It worked brilliantly on the Nomad and I spec'd the FB with the RP23 with the thought that if that shock wasn't to my liking that I would replace it with the ISX to see how that worked on the bike. I finally got around to ordering the hardware kit from Manitou to put the shock on to the bird. Thanks to Ken for filling me in on the hardware sizing. It turns out that the standard 8X22 mm is a perfect fit. I was little worried as Pivot specs that space as 0.86" which isn't quite 22 mm.

I haven't had a chance to get out a ride it yet....but I was running with 230 lbs of air in the RP23 and was having a difficult time finding an air pressure setting that really seem to work well as 5 psi seemed to make a significant difference in ride height and how many pedal strikes that I collected on any given ride.

I plan to take the FB to Moab and Fruita next week so if the test rides all go well I'll have a chance to really put the shock to the test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Evolver ISX6 on the FB-img_0619.jpg  

Manitou Evolver ISX6 on the FB-img_0621.jpg  

Pivotal figure
    Curious to hear how it works for you. Glad that hardware worked out OK too
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I'm keen to hear how it goes too. I haven't tried mine yet because of the CCDB.

mtbr member
    I am going to have to reserve comment for a couple of more weeks at this point. The threads on the main reservoir fill gave up and I can't use my shock pump to change pressure levels.

I can say that I am able to run about 175 psi vs. 230 in the RP23 for a 0.75 sag number. The shock feels very plush. I'll have the fill stem replaced and the shock back on the bike in a couple of weeks.

More details then.

mtbr member

Evolver ISX 6 Ride Report

I ended up leaving the Evolver on the FB for the trip to Moab. Over a 3 day period I rode Slickrock, Amasa Back and Rockstacker, The Whole Enchilada, and Sovereign Single Track. Outside of a ride at home on my local trails that should be enough for a realistic ride report. We rode everything from very fast bermed single track, steep rooted and rough single track, to ledge drops and steep rolls, and very rough 4X road at high speeds on Porcupine Rim.

As I noted in my earlier posts I find the ISX to be considerably more plush through out its travel range than the RP23 that came with the bike. I have never ridden a coil shock for and extended period but the ISX seems to be about as close as you can come in an air shock. I find that to get the sag right at about 0.75" I have to run close to 225 +/- 5 psi of pressure in the RP23. The ISX on the other hand will actually sit a little high in its sag at 175 psi. I intentionally left the pressure just a little high as The Whole Enchilada can be a big day especially when the temps down in Moab are still in the high 80's your hydration pack can run a little on the heavy side. All geared up I probably was weighing in around 215-225 on the TWE ride day. The bike weight would have been just a little over 33 lbs.

I didn't have any of the pedal bashing that I find so annoying with the RP23. I can eliminate that w/ the RP but you have to run considerably more pressure than I like and as noted the shock is harsh. I dialed in no low or high speed compression, max rebound, about 100 psi in the boost valve and 175 psi in the main on the ISX. I never did bottom the shock but managed to see full travel on the 160 Fox a number of times. Even the Diving Board didn't phase the ISX.

In summary if you are interested in an air shock for the FB the ISX is a very good choice. I'll ride it a few more weeks here at home then switch back to the RP23. I might try the needle bearing kit just to see how that works with the RP.