mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Mach 6 sizing 6ft

About to order a mach 6 but unsure on sizing,

I'm 6ft with a 34" inseam, I'm usually a large in other frames but from browsing the other threads and looking at the geo it seems the pivots size up small, with a short reach for each size.

I'm planning on building it up with a 60mm stem and 760mm bars

Anyone else the same height as me and on a mach 6? Unfortunatly there's no dealers with stock within 200 miles so I can't try one for size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride large at 5'11" 33" inseam with 50mm stem.had ordered a medium at first but after meeting and talking to Pivot east coast rep,he recommended a large.I actually road a medium and felt not bad with a 70mm stem,but when standing up still put me to far over bars and I like a shorter stem especially with it being so slack. after several months on a large very happy I went with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm 6'6" with 36" inseam and have a XL on order. Am planning on using a 90mm stem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Pivotal figure
    I'm 6' as well and the Large feels fine. Our East Coast demo driver is a little taller than me and he also prefers the Large (just built up his last week, finally)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 6' with a 34 inseam as well, and I'm on a large. With the stock stem length (70mm IIRC) and 740mm bars it is MAYBE a teeny tiny bit too small for me, but not enough to warrant going to a larger frame. If I were to do it over again I would still the the large frame.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" with a 35.5" inseam on a Large Mach6 with a 70mm stem/750mm bar.

I like the fit so far. It has the same tip of saddle to center of stem length as my XL HD that currently has a 50mm stem. The bar I'm running on the HD is only 711mm, and I'm digging the 750 width so I'll probably go with that on my HD as well.

I also measured the tip of saddle to end of bar length on my Large 429 and compared that to my Mach6. Both bikes are the same bar reach even though the 429 is longer in the TT but has a smaller 711mm bar.

As setup, the 429 feels like it has a bit more room for "up and over" technical moves and XC riding, and perhaps more room to fit in between tight trees. Those things can be important depending on the trail. The Mach6 feels better for Enduro style riding, jumps, drops, railing berms, steep switchbacks, etc. On the Mach6, if I used an 80mm stem and a slightly narrower bar that could be better for trails with tight trees, and a bit more room for "up and over" technical moves. Options are always good to have.
    Last edited by robertj; 01-07-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Fixed a type-o.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the great input and shared experience here. I'm in the same boat on trying to choose between a medium/large frame. Went to the Pivot Demo day yesterday. I'm 5'11" w/ 33.5" inseam. According to those specs, I'm slated for a Medium. After riding both, the large definitely felt more comfortable. The demo guys also mentioned that there were a number of guys on staff that ride medium 429's, but prefer the large m6. Plan on making my order soon. A large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 6-0 and ride a medium Firebird. I have a 50mm stem and 780mm wide bars. The cockpit felt weird at first, but now I love it. I just ordered a M6 and will continue with the Med size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor74 View Post
    Thanks for the great input and shared experience here. I'm in the same boat on trying to choose between a medium/large frame. Went to the Pivot Demo day yesterday. I'm 5'11" w/ 33.5" inseam. According to those specs, I'm slated for a Medium. After riding both, the large definitely felt more comfortable. The demo guys also mentioned that there were a number of guys on staff that ride medium 429's, but prefer the large m6. Plan on making my order soon. A large.
    You made the right choice,I am same height and inseam as you.I had originally ordered a medium according to there sizing chart,and they even recommended large,but of course guys our size are betweeners but chose large because of longer TT,but you have to remember that the HT is pretty slack and ETT on large is long but does not feel long.I had the chance to ride my friends medium,felt small and restricted even with the 90mm stem on it especially standing up,to far over bars and I like running 50mm stem.so went down to shop to discuss sizing and the Pivot east coast rep just happened to be there and suggested a large would suit me better.glad I did go large,perfect with a 50mm stem,very comfortable cockpit,best bike I have owned to date!
    Last edited by techfersure; 02-27-2014 at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Interesting... I'm 5'10 and I demo'd a medium in Moab and liked it, but wanted a shorter than stock stem. Ended up trying a medium and large at my lbs, and decided to purchase a large (frame only) and try a 45mm stem. Just got it today, but still lacking some parts, so it'll be a while before I know how I like the fit. I've had several Large Santa Cruz's, and need a Large in their all-mountain frames.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'm a hair short of 6' and have a 34.25" inseam. Went with a large. Not a chance to ride it yet though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Interesting... I'm 5'10 and I demo'd a medium in Moab and liked it, but wanted a shorter than stock stem. Ended up trying a medium and large at my lbs, and decided to purchase a large (frame only) and try a 45mm stem. Just got it today, but still lacking some parts, so it'll be a while before I know how I like the fit. I've had several Large Santa Cruz's, and need a Large in their all-mountain frames.
    If you ride a large SC you will want a large M6 not a medium. The M6 is a bit longer in the TT than the old style SC bikes and a tad shorter than the new style SC bikes.

Also most people will fit onto two sizes of a model of bike. I'm 6' with 33" pants inseam. I could ride a L or XL M6.

I ride on tight twisty forested trails so I go for the smaller size. If I lived in Sedona I would go for a XL.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and the Pivot website says I should ride a small. However the Geo numbers look like I would be fine on a Med. In comparing to the Bronson and other bikes the size range for me should be the Med. so I'm torn as to what size to get. Everyone here say that they have sized up from what Pivot recommends. Is this true that the next size up feels better if you are close in sizing?
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

mtbr member
    Most people would rather size up and run a shorter stem than run a long stem on a smaller frame. But if you like a dropper be wary of seat tube lengths. At 5'11" I sized up to a large on my 5.7c but not an apples to apples comparison with a Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Most people would rather size up and run a shorter stem than run a long stem on a smaller frame.
    +1 - agreed....one issue these days is that when folks were running 90-100mm stems sizing up was low risk because you could always cut that ~25mm of extra effective TT with a 65-75mm stem.

OTOH - if you are sizing a bike working with the fit of a 35-50mm stem you can't really shorten the bike if you goof'd going up a size.

Folks running long droppers runs into the same sort of issue because we are pushing the limits of the frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Agreed again!
    At 5'10", I had a large Bronson, a Large Solo, a Large TRc and now a Large Mach 6!
    At a Pivot Demo I was told I absolutely should ride a Medium. I am so glad I ignored that recommendation and got a Large. With my 35 mm stem it feels a bit short, so Ill be putting on a 50mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5-8 with a 30.5" inseam and bought a Medium. I'm using a 70mm stem for now. Rode it for the 1st time today. I wish it had a tad longer TT but the Medium was the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and the Pivot website says I should ride a small. However the Geo numbers look like I would be fine on a Med. In comparing to the Bronson and other bikes the size range for me should be the Med. so I'm torn as to what size to get. Everyone here say that they have sized up from what Pivot recommends. Is this true that the next size up feels better if you are close in sizing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post

As setup, the 429 feels like it has a bit more room for "up and over" technical moves and XC riding, and perhaps more room to fit in between tight trees. Those things can be important depending on the trail. The Mach6 feels better for Enduro style riding, jumps, drops, railing berms, steep switchbacks, etc. On the Mach6, if I used an 80mm stem and a slightly narrower bar that could be better for trails with tight trees, and a bit more room for "up and over" technical moves. Options are always good to have.
    EXACTLY the way I felt today after riding my Mach 6 for the 1st time as compared to my other bike, a 2014 SC Tallboy 2.