Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Mach 6 Review Thread

Trying to build up a picture before I demo a mach 6 any other reviews appreciated:

Tested: Pivot Mach 6 Carbon | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Surprised there are no current reviews,mediums have been out there for a couple of weeks,what gives?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its a conspiracy perpetuated by Ibis to keep the Mach 6 in the shadows of the Mojo HDR. However, I suspect it's because bike testers are doing reviews after having had the bike for a month or two. I prefer those reviews to the guy who rode it for 5 minutes at Sea Otter.
    Last edited by aevanlloyd; 09-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A friend of mine has his medium for a couple of weeks but is busy with work and kids so has only one short ride on and not enough ride time for honest feedback.he offered it to me for a day but I ride a large frame and don't want to taint my impression before my large frame comes in.hard not to take him up on it only but couple of more weeks until mine comes in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This review has pretty pictures

Tested: Pivot Mach 6 Carbon | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Krob (a long time MTBR user and reviewer) just posted his review of the bikes he rode at the interbike outdoor demo. After riding the Bronson C, the Enduro 29 S-Works, SC 5010 (Solo), Yeti SB75, Rocky Mountain Altitude and the Mach 6, the Mach 6 was his favorite of the show. That is a huge win for Pivot since Krob hasn't really loved Pivot bikes in the past.

2013 All Mountain Bike Tests at Interbike ? Part 2 | Mountain Bike Review | Page 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Getting real antsy for my large to come in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rode my friends medium Mach 6 actually fit pretty well did not feel cramped could have used a longer stem and seat post was not sky high.I have a large coming and am now not so sure.I'm 5'11 and change 33 inseam with long reach...damn!

mtbr member
    I have ridden the medium as well, same height and 32 inseam. I am going for a large since I want to run a shorter stem. With the medium I would probably need a 90 for it to feel right. The medium is just a tad shorter than my large HD and I run an 80 on that with 750 bars. All depends on how you want to set it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Initial impressions from my break-in ride on my medium stealth with x01 build:

-Precise, quick, nimble
    -I need to adjust my air pressures/suspension as initial ride was a bit firm
    -Airs are sublime and just perfectly balanced (several 15' gap booters on the local trail)
    -Comfy DH-inspired cockpit
    -I wonder if you can put a 180 fork on this thing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I want to know more. Square edge hits, jumps, flickability in air, long and steep technical gnar, picking up mini skirts at the local bar, etc,etc.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Square edge hits non existent and our trails have many! very responsive and flickable in air so far I hit a 18' blind step down into a big step up and truly easy to throw around.a high speed 30' sender that starts with a series of step downs that you really need to stretch to to clear transition to make 30' clean,on this section Mach 6 is much more stable and can feel the stiffness in the rear then my Carbine was.we have a pipeline with 55-60 degree angles that are loose,rocky coming in and out of steep berms and turns that ends in a baby head rock garden,the suspension is amazing! almost disarming how plush it is.I haven't taken it out cruisin chicks yet but it is so confident inspiring that no doubt it would rock at this too!

Kiwi that Flew
    BikeRadar -
    Pivot Mach 6 - BikeRadar
    While some companies have taken the lightweight trail approach to their 150mm, 650B (27.5in) wheeled bikes, Pivot have gone for the no-compromise, flat-out fast approach with their new Mach 6.
    HIGHS: Extremely stiff and surefootedly slack steering, it's a long-travel but light all-rounder
    LOWS: Tall ride can mask gravity potential; soft pedalling in smaller gears and slightly heavy
    BUY IF... You want trail bike feel with big bike capability when it counts
    Ride and handling: a grower not a growler
    The Mach 6's tracking stiffness is obvious when you send it obliquely across ruts even over the ledges of volcanic rock and baked washboard ruts of this hard American desert.
    The combination of 650B wheels and the well-controlled Fox Float X damper, which presides over 155mm of rear travel, shrinks impacts impressively. We found ourselves pulling the brakes later and later each time we sessioned the drops and rock gardens of our test trails then heading right back up for more.
    Our trust and belief in the bike was progressive, and that is significant. Like other DW Link bikes we've ridden, the Mach 6 naturally sits high in its travel, and Pivot have given it a relatively high bottom bracket for pedalling clearance. That means despite the ample travel and slack 66-degree head angle it feels more trail bike than a gravity enduro machine at first.
    You also have to push it that bit harder and lower into turns than a bike that's nearer the ground already, but that's something that becomes second nature when you're riding this bike all the time.
    Its smooth suspension movement also means consistent traction and roll over even when you're pushing the pedals hard, making it a great bike for blasting along contouring trails at serious speed. You do need to make use of the Trail setting of the CTD lever to stop obvious pedal bob in the smaller ring, however, but it is at least easy to reach.
    Frame and equipment: practical not pretty
    The slightly crowded spliced top tube and dislocated linkage junction of the Mach 6 might not make for the neatest looks, but it creates a seriously stiff chassis. The longer we had it the harder we rode it, and by the end of our test we were smashing through savage braking bumps on near-freefall descents and into blown-out berms, but we never felt it flexing or twisting out of line.
    Changing the overlong and lurch-prone 80mm stem for a 60mm and fitting larger tyres would also make the aggressive potential of the bike much more obvious, but not everyone wants their trail bike to feel like a mini downhiller though, even if it is long travel, and at 6.2lb with the Float X this frame will appeal.
    It could be built to climb and accelerate as well as much shorter-legged bikes the DW Link pedals very well in the middle and larger chainrings, giving just enough chain tension under power to feel positive when you're giving it full gas.
    If you're looking for a low-slung, highly aggressive gravity-focused machine the Mach 6 isn't right for you. But if you want a pedal-friendly frame for impressively easy trail speed, allied to seriously capable suspension and speed-secure handling, the Mach 6 should definitely be on your shortlist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Rode my friends medium Mach 6 actually fit pretty well did not feel cramped could have used a longer stem and seat post was not sky high.I have a large coming and am now not so sure.I'm 5'11 and change 33 inseam with long reach...damn!
    I was going to ask how tall you were when you said you were waiting on a large, because I am just under 6' (and usually take a large) and the medium felt really good to me. Not sure I would want a large in this frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Good review, but I don't agree with a couple of their nits. I thought the short links and how they fit into the carbon frame and joined the front and rear triangles was industrial art. Way sexier and more finished looking than the Firebird and the Burner IMO.

Maybe they're used to riding really low slung, slack gravity machines, but I ride a fairly low and slack Chilcotin (170 fork, frame always set in the slack geo setting) and the M6 still felt pretty low slung and slack especially compared to the other bikes in its class that I rode.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and was going back and forth on what size to demo this weekend after looking at the geometry. I currently ride a medium Firebird 27.5. The medium Firebird geometry falls between the small and medium M6 leaning closer one way or another on different measurements. Josh, one of Pivots demo guys, said I was a medium M6 for sure. So, I demoed the medium. The bike was awesome. Wouldn't say it felt too big but I only had time to ride one bike so couldn't take the small out to compare. I'm curious how the small would feel though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So we have mixed reviews on DH capability. Im looking for that "one" bike that can pedal extremely well longer distances and also do a "little" park bike riding. Also im 200 lbs and ride chunk fest Az trails, will it hang?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I was going to ask how tall you were when you said you were waiting on a large, because I am just under 6' (and usually take a large) and the medium felt really good to me. Not sure I would want a large in this frame.
    Large was a good call for me,med had a 90mm stem and felt to over the bars while standing,I am using a 70mm and is a perfect fit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    So we have mixed reviews on DH capability. Im looking for that "one" bike that can pedal extremely well longer distances and also do a "little" park bike riding. Also im 200 lbs and ride chunk fest Az trails, will it hang?
    Definitely park rideable,my previous Carbine was worthy and a blast even with the flexy rear and steeper HA.Mach 6 is a very capable climber and will get it done all day with a **** eating grin on your face!

mtbr member
    I agree, definitely more then capable of the occasional park day. I actually thought it felt like it had more travel then my Firebird 27.5. Maybe because the travel seemed very smooth. That could have been the result of the two different shocks though. A DHXair 5.0 on my Bird to the Float X on the M6.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Large was a good call for me,med had a 90mm stem and felt to over the bars while standing,I am using a 70mm and is a perfect fit!
    Cool. Glad it fit you well. With your longish inseam and long reach, that makes sense. Like I said in my reviews, I would bet the Large would've fit me well also with the shorter stem, just wonder if it would've felt as eager and maneuverable. Definitely would have to try one out before putting that kind of money down.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Looking forward to finally trying this out November 9th at their demo. I found the 5.7 to be a great climber, but not quite what I wanted going down over rough stuff. Will be interesting to see if the 6 can bridge the gap between the 5.7 and the FB, and how the 650 wheels feel.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    I normally ride a XL Mojo HD (50 stem), and a L 429 (70 stem). The L Mach6 with the 70 stem felt perfect to me for positioning on this style of bike. Maybe I'd throw on a slightly shorter stem for pure gravity/lift assist days on mtb vacations.

First ride on a 27.5 last Friday. I really liked the wheel size and the Mach6 was such a fun fast bike. Great climbing and trail manners, suspension was supple on the ledgy climbs yet pedaled with the sense of urgency that I've grown to really like with the DW link bikes. One out of saddle sprint to gain momentum for that up/over ledge, I did notice some of the momentum-maintaining aspects you get with 29ers in the 27.5. I also found it easy to manual, with great low speed precise handling on undulating technical terrain. On the downs, I thought the Mach6 was very capable as expected, easy to change lines and throw around like with the 26. Overall, a very dialed ride that can easily be a one bike solution for many. Also could fit in quite nicely between a heavier built Mojo HD and aging XC 429...hmm...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tried out the Mach 6 at a recent demo in Austin. The demo was moved to one of the more technical trails in town (lots of rocks, ledges, technical climbs), so it was a perfect place to test the bike. First time on a 650B. I usually ride a 29er.

Geometry was dialed for me. I was on a small (5'6"), and I think it had about a 70 stem on it. I instantly felt at home and there was very little time getting used to the bike, which is good, because the trail I was on was technical from the start.

I was impressed by the climbing for a bike with this much travel. I expected a bit more bob or to feel the weight of the bike more. Ledges were fairly easy to get over. The bike seemed fairly stiff. I did notice a bit less rollover, as there were 2-3 places I usually just roll up on the 29er and I got stuck on the 650B, but overall, it wasn't as pronounced as I expected.

Descending was great. I didn't really have to watch my line that closely on the multiple ledges in a row like I do on the 4 travel 29er. It felt pretty plush, and took multiple hits well.

I wish I could have pushed a bit harder, but I had done an 8 hour ride the day before, and was pretty stiff from that. Some of the climbs I knew I could have made had I been fresh and not nursing aching legs.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast