Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Mach 6 Review Thread

Trying to build up a picture before I demo a mach 6 any other reviews appreciated:

Tested: Pivot Mach 6 Carbon | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Surprised there are no current reviews,mediums have been out there for a couple of weeks,what gives?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its a conspiracy perpetuated by Ibis to keep the Mach 6 in the shadows of the Mojo HDR. However, I suspect it's because bike testers are doing reviews after having had the bike for a month or two. I prefer those reviews to the guy who rode it for 5 minutes at Sea Otter.
    Last edited by aevanlloyd; 09-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A friend of mine has his medium for a couple of weeks but is busy with work and kids so has only one short ride on and not enough ride time for honest feedback.he offered it to me for a day but I ride a large frame and don't want to taint my impression before my large frame comes in.hard not to take him up on it only but couple of more weeks until mine comes in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This review has pretty pictures

Tested: Pivot Mach 6 Carbon | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Krob (a long time MTBR user and reviewer) just posted his review of the bikes he rode at the interbike outdoor demo. After riding the Bronson C, the Enduro 29 S-Works, SC 5010 (Solo), Yeti SB75, Rocky Mountain Altitude and the Mach 6, the Mach 6 was his favorite of the show. That is a huge win for Pivot since Krob hasn't really loved Pivot bikes in the past.

2013 All Mountain Bike Tests at Interbike ? Part 2 | Mountain Bike Review | Page 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Getting real antsy for my large to come in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rode my friends medium Mach 6 actually fit pretty well did not feel cramped could have used a longer stem and seat post was not sky high.I have a large coming and am now not so sure.I'm 5'11 and change 33 inseam with long reach...damn!

mtbr member
    I have ridden the medium as well, same height and 32 inseam. I am going for a large since I want to run a shorter stem. With the medium I would probably need a 90 for it to feel right. The medium is just a tad shorter than my large HD and I run an 80 on that with 750 bars. All depends on how you want to set it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Initial impressions from my break-in ride on my medium stealth with x01 build:

-Precise, quick, nimble
    -I need to adjust my air pressures/suspension as initial ride was a bit firm
    -Airs are sublime and just perfectly balanced (several 15' gap booters on the local trail)
    -Comfy DH-inspired cockpit
    -I wonder if you can put a 180 fork on this thing?

mtbr member
    I want to know more. Square edge hits, jumps, flickability in air, long and steep technical gnar, picking up mini skirts at the local bar, etc,etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Square edge hits non existent and our trails have many! very responsive and flickable in air so far I hit a 18' blind step down into a big step up and truly easy to throw around.a high speed 30' sender that starts with a series of step downs that you really need to stretch to to clear transition to make 30' clean,on this section Mach 6 is much more stable and can feel the stiffness in the rear then my Carbine was.we have a pipeline with 55-60 degree angles that are loose,rocky coming in and out of steep berms and turns that ends in a baby head rock garden,the suspension is amazing! almost disarming how plush it is.I haven't taken it out cruisin chicks yet but it is so confident inspiring that no doubt it would rock at this too!

Kiwi that Flew
    BikeRadar -
    Pivot Mach 6 - BikeRadar
    While some companies have taken the lightweight trail approach to their 150mm, 650B (27.5in) wheeled bikes, Pivot have gone for the no-compromise, flat-out fast approach with their new Mach 6.
    HIGHS: Extremely stiff and surefootedly slack steering, it's a long-travel but light all-rounder
    LOWS: Tall ride can mask gravity potential; soft pedalling in smaller gears and slightly heavy
    BUY IF... You want trail bike feel with big bike capability when it counts
    Ride and handling: a grower not a growler
    The Mach 6's tracking stiffness is obvious when you send it obliquely across ruts even over the ledges of volcanic rock and baked washboard ruts of this hard American desert.
    The combination of 650B wheels and the well-controlled Fox Float X damper, which presides over 155mm of rear travel, shrinks impacts impressively. We found ourselves pulling the brakes later and later each time we sessioned the drops and rock gardens of our test trails then heading right back up for more.
    Our trust and belief in the bike was progressive, and that is significant. Like other DW Link bikes we've ridden, the Mach 6 naturally sits high in its travel, and Pivot have given it a relatively high bottom bracket for pedalling clearance. That means despite the ample travel and slack 66-degree head angle it feels more trail bike than a gravity enduro machine at first.
    You also have to push it that bit harder and lower into turns than a bike that's nearer the ground already, but that's something that becomes second nature when you're riding this bike all the time.
    Its smooth suspension movement also means consistent traction and roll over even when you're pushing the pedals hard, making it a great bike for blasting along contouring trails at serious speed. You do need to make use of the Trail setting of the CTD lever to stop obvious pedal bob in the smaller ring, however, but it is at least easy to reach.
    Frame and equipment: practical not pretty
    The slightly crowded spliced top tube and dislocated linkage junction of the Mach 6 might not make for the neatest looks, but it creates a seriously stiff chassis. The longer we had it the harder we rode it, and by the end of our test we were smashing through savage braking bumps on near-freefall descents and into blown-out berms, but we never felt it flexing or twisting out of line.
    Changing the overlong and lurch-prone 80mm stem for a 60mm and fitting larger tyres would also make the aggressive potential of the bike much more obvious, but not everyone wants their trail bike to feel like a mini downhiller though, even if it is long travel, and at 6.2lb with the Float X this frame will appeal.
    It could be built to climb and accelerate as well as much shorter-legged bikes the DW Link pedals very well in the middle and larger chainrings, giving just enough chain tension under power to feel positive when you're giving it full gas.
    If you're looking for a low-slung, highly aggressive gravity-focused machine the Mach 6 isn't right for you. But if you want a pedal-friendly frame for impressively easy trail speed, allied to seriously capable suspension and speed-secure handling, the Mach 6 should definitely be on your shortlist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Rode my friends medium Mach 6 actually fit pretty well did not feel cramped could have used a longer stem and seat post was not sky high.I have a large coming and am now not so sure.I'm 5'11 and change 33 inseam with long reach...damn!
    I was going to ask how tall you were when you said you were waiting on a large, because I am just under 6' (and usually take a large) and the medium felt really good to me. Not sure I would want a large in this frame.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Good review, but I don't agree with a couple of their nits. I thought the short links and how they fit into the carbon frame and joined the front and rear triangles was industrial art. Way sexier and more finished looking than the Firebird and the Burner IMO.

Maybe they're used to riding really low slung, slack gravity machines, but I ride a fairly low and slack Chilcotin (170 fork, frame always set in the slack geo setting) and the M6 still felt pretty low slung and slack especially compared to the other bikes in its class that I rode.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and was going back and forth on what size to demo this weekend after looking at the geometry. I currently ride a medium Firebird 27.5. The medium Firebird geometry falls between the small and medium M6 leaning closer one way or another on different measurements. Josh, one of Pivots demo guys, said I was a medium M6 for sure. So, I demoed the medium. The bike was awesome. Wouldn't say it felt too big but I only had time to ride one bike so couldn't take the small out to compare. I'm curious how the small would feel though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So we have mixed reviews on DH capability. Im looking for that "one" bike that can pedal extremely well longer distances and also do a "little" park bike riding. Also im 200 lbs and ride chunk fest Az trails, will it hang?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I was going to ask how tall you were when you said you were waiting on a large, because I am just under 6' (and usually take a large) and the medium felt really good to me. Not sure I would want a large in this frame.
    Large was a good call for me,med had a 90mm stem and felt to over the bars while standing,I am using a 70mm and is a perfect fit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    So we have mixed reviews on DH capability. Im looking for that "one" bike that can pedal extremely well longer distances and also do a "little" park bike riding. Also im 200 lbs and ride chunk fest Az trails, will it hang?
    Definitely park rideable,my previous Carbine was worthy and a blast even with the flexy rear and steeper HA.Mach 6 is a very capable climber and will get it done all day with a **** eating grin on your face!

mtbr member
    I agree, definitely more then capable of the occasional park day. I actually thought it felt like it had more travel then my Firebird 27.5. Maybe because the travel seemed very smooth. That could have been the result of the two different shocks though. A DHXair 5.0 on my Bird to the Float X on the M6.

mtbr member
    Large was a good call for me,med had a 90mm stem and felt to over the bars while standing,I am using a 70mm and is a perfect fit!
    Cool. Glad it fit you well. With your longish inseam and long reach, that makes sense. Like I said in my reviews, I would bet the Large would've fit me well also with the shorter stem, just wonder if it would've felt as eager and maneuverable. Definitely would have to try one out before putting that kind of money down.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Looking forward to finally trying this out November 9th at their demo. I found the 5.7 to be a great climber, but not quite what I wanted going down over rough stuff. Will be interesting to see if the 6 can bridge the gap between the 5.7 and the FB, and how the 650 wheels feel.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    I normally ride a XL Mojo HD (50 stem), and a L 429 (70 stem). The L Mach6 with the 70 stem felt perfect to me for positioning on this style of bike. Maybe I'd throw on a slightly shorter stem for pure gravity/lift assist days on mtb vacations.

First ride on a 27.5 last Friday. I really liked the wheel size and the Mach6 was such a fun fast bike. Great climbing and trail manners, suspension was supple on the ledgy climbs yet pedaled with the sense of urgency that I've grown to really like with the DW link bikes. One out of saddle sprint to gain momentum for that up/over ledge, I did notice some of the momentum-maintaining aspects you get with 29ers in the 27.5. I also found it easy to manual, with great low speed precise handling on undulating technical terrain. On the downs, I thought the Mach6 was very capable as expected, easy to change lines and throw around like with the 26. Overall, a very dialed ride that can easily be a one bike solution for many. Also could fit in quite nicely between a heavier built Mojo HD and aging XC 429...hmm...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tried out the Mach 6 at a recent demo in Austin. The demo was moved to one of the more technical trails in town (lots of rocks, ledges, technical climbs), so it was a perfect place to test the bike. First time on a 650B. I usually ride a 29er.

Geometry was dialed for me. I was on a small (5'6"), and I think it had about a 70 stem on it. I instantly felt at home and there was very little time getting used to the bike, which is good, because the trail I was on was technical from the start.

I was impressed by the climbing for a bike with this much travel. I expected a bit more bob or to feel the weight of the bike more. Ledges were fairly easy to get over. The bike seemed fairly stiff. I did notice a bit less rollover, as there were 2-3 places I usually just roll up on the 29er and I got stuck on the 650B, but overall, it wasn't as pronounced as I expected.

Descending was great. I didn't really have to watch my line that closely on the multiple ledges in a row like I do on the 4 travel 29er. It felt pretty plush, and took multiple hits well.

I wish I could have pushed a bit harder, but I had done an 8 hour ride the day before, and was pretty stiff from that. Some of the climbs I knew I could have made had I been fresh and not nursing aching legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    I haven't seen anything but great reviews on its DH performance. Sure it has a slightly higher BB which is great if you ride mostly chunky technical terrain like in AZ where the bike was developed, I'm sure it will hange. I'm looking at this bike for the Alps where it will see 20% climbing to 80% descending on natural Singletrack.

Can you fit a coil on the Mach 6? Judging from the photos I would say no but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have 12 years of DH experience and over the past year started weening myself off,sold my Dh bike and built a Intense SS2 for ride parks and shuttles to appease the extreme in me.I also had a Carbine and found that it was very capable at ride parks,Dh runs and a whole lotta fun too.now that I have a Mach 6 I can tell you that it is much more stable,stiffer,you can push it into turns and will track and hold a line with little or no instability,after the flexy rear on the Carbine this is a joy! also very stable and flickable in the air,the rear sus smooths out the harshest terrain.all in all this bike delivers for multiple discipline riders!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I tried out the Mach 6 at a recent demo in Austin. The demo was moved to one of the more technical trails in town (lots of rocks, ledges, technical climbs), so it was a perfect place to test the bike. First time on a 650B. I usually ride a 29er.

Geometry was dialed for me. I was on a small (5'6"), and I think it had about a 70 stem on it. I instantly felt at home and there was very little time getting used to the bike, which is good, because the trail I was on was technical from the start.

I was impressed by the climbing for a bike with this much travel. I expected a bit more bob or to feel the weight of the bike more. Ledges were fairly easy to get over. The bike seemed fairly stiff. I did notice a bit less rollover, as there were 2-3 places I usually just roll up on the 29er and I got stuck on the 650B, but overall, it wasn't as pronounced as I expected.

Descending was great. I didn't really have to watch my line that closely on the multiple ledges in a row like I do on the 4 travel 29er. It felt pretty plush, and took multiple hits well.

I wish I could have pushed a bit harder, but I had done an 8 hour ride the day before, and was pretty stiff from that. Some of the climbs I knew I could have made had I been fresh and not nursing aching legs.
    Was that at the moto trails? I saw it got moved. Having ridden the Firebird there, I can imagine it would be a lot of fun on a lighter bike and with 650 wheels.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2011

Mach 6 Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Was that at the moto trails? I saw it got moved. Having ridden the Firebird there, I can imagine it would be a lot of fun on a lighter bike and with 650 wheels.
    Yep, that's where it was. My buddy rode the 650b firebird while I was on the Mach. He had fun taking the worst lines and just rolling through them.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Yep, that's where it was. My buddy rode the 650b firebird while I was on the Mach. He had fun taking the worst lines and just rolling through them.
    Nice! Yeah that place is fun, as long as you're going down haha. I just didn't have the energy when I went to muscle up all the climbs, and it was warm back then too.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Nice! Yeah that place is fun, as long as you're going down haha. I just didn't have the energy when I went to muscle up all the climbs, and it was warm back then too.
    I didn't get to try out the climbing as much as I would have liked. I had done the EB the day before, so my legs were pretty much toast entering the ride. I lacked a good bit of my usual power and didn't clear things I should have been able to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I recently demoed the Mach6 and really liked it. Had it for about an hour and half on a trail I did not know so my impressions of course could be more accurate if I had more time on the bike and on the trail. However, it felt flickable and precise, it went through rocks and drops easily. I was impressed with Fox 34 performance but did note love it. The bike kept speed amazingly, something I atribute to the wheels and the weight, and was easier to pop off the ground than my Firebird. I would not trade in my Firebird for it, but If I could have another bike it would be the Mach6. Putting 650b on my Firebird for sure.
    Great bike.

Keep on Rockin...
    Any one know the retail on the xt/xtr pro build?

mtbr member

Re: Mach 6 Review Thread

Right from the Pivot price sheet I grabbed at the demo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 6 Review Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1383327385239.jpg  

Keep on Rockin...
    Perfect. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just got a large Mach 6 at Incycles on Saturday. First 2 hour ride up in local (Pasadena) trails got my blood flowin for sure. I really like the climbing characteristics more than I thought I would...and I'm a climber. Plus the DH settings make for some great travel and made me super comfy on the drops as well as some surprises after the recent rain. So far I've only changed out the saddle, the grips and converted the wheel/tires to tubeless, as well as adding the Stealth dropper. So far so good. More words to come...

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you picked that one up. They called me to say it was available, but I am waiting for a frame only. Pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I dropped a lot of air pressure from mine and the suspension is now working more like what I wanted. Like others have said, it feels plush but pedals well. When climbing I do find myself reaching for the CTD shock lever quite a bit though - either Trail or Climb modes - as in Descend I get some very noticeable bobbing that I do not get on my SB95c. Might be the additional travel, smaller wheels, or suspension design - probably a combo of those things.

Just a couple rides so far, I need to put in some big trail miles to get to know this bike better. Stupid snow. Should melt off the foothills nicely in the next day or so.

mtbr member
    How is the clearance in the rear of the Mach 6 for bigger tires?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Highroller II 2.4 work great!

mtbr member
    Highroller II 2.4 work great!
    Thanks. Could you give us a measurement of the clearance at the tightest spots with that tire?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sorry no,have 2.35's on as of now,but switch back and forth.had no issues running them.

mtbr member
    Continental has the 2.4" Trail King/Rubber Queen on their website in 650B. Anyone tried one in the back of a Mach 6? I'd be really keen to know if they work.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I have no direct experience with the M6 but I do have the Firebird 27.5. A 2.35 Schwalbe Nobby Nic just barely fits the Bird. A 2.4 Maxxis High Roller II fits nicely since Maxxis always seems to run on the small side. The M6 has better clearance then the Firebird 27.5 so I would bet it comfortably handles any of the 27.5 tires available up to 2.4. Schwalbe are typically the largest tires out there and if they fit the Bird they will fit the M6.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Already a used Mach 6 on the market here medium XX1!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    [EDIT] Added weights...i'd be pretty happy if this comes in at 27lbs.

Mine should be ready to ride Saturday.
    Any guesses on weight?

Size Medium (frame, thru axle, seat clamp, fox floatx) 2950
    Seat - Fizik Aliante Gamma Kium White 259
    Post - G.D. LP turbo 5"/1" 460
    Grips - Oury lock on white 152
    bars - Havoc Carbon 233
    Stem - Thomson 70mm 0 degree silver 141
    Headset - Chris King silver 156
    Bottom Bracket - Chris King 100
    Brakes - XT 2014 Version 590
    Fork - FOX 34 Talas CTD Kashima 150 1996
    Shock - FloatX incl. w/frame
    Shifters XX1 121
    Cranks - XX1 34T 650
    Derail. - XX1 243
    Cass. - XX1 269
    Wheels - DT350 w/36T engagement WTBi23 hoops 1690
    Tires - Maxxis HR II 2.3 front, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 rear 1585
    pedals 400
    chain 252

grams 12247
    lbs 27.00003527
    Last edited by hurleyskis; 11-08-2013 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Just a couple rides so far, I need to put in some big trail miles to get to know this bike better. Stupid snow. Should melt off the foothills nicely in the next day or so.
    Holy crap I just did a lunch loop with one of the better DH segments around here (Wasatch Front), and the M6 SMOKED the descent. Big embedded boulders, water bar drops, loose chunder, steep, fast, tight turns, wide turns... just so stable. And amazingly quick. Snapping this thing around corners is just a delight. It's a really cool combo of feeling like you have the DH chops to gobble up the hits but retaining the light, responsive, high performance ride of something like a BMW. "Crisp" is about the right word. Love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My small M6 XT/XTR Pro just arrived, after ordering it in early August. Yesterday was first real ride on it. Here's some comparisons and impressions. In short, it's mind-blowing. I expected it to be great on DH, in the air, etc, but I was really surprised by its climbing. It out-climbed my old 100mm 26" wheel XC Trek Fuel in all ways. To be fair, I'm not comparing it to a modern 29'er XC rig, but nonetheless...

Background:
    I'm coming off of a 10 year old 100mm Trek XTR FS XC bike. It's (clearly) been long-overdue for a replacement for a while, and I spent a few months test riding bikes this summer before ordering the M6. I decided early-on I wanted to move away from pure XC geometry and move to a more playful/DH-confidence-inspiring bike, but I still wanted "one bike," so it had to climb as least as well as my old XC rig. Most of my riding is on tight forested PNW trails, but my favorite rides are all-day high-mountain single track, so the bike had to climb well.

I test rode (on trail) the Mach 5.7, Mach 6 and Santa Cruz Bronson before deciding on the Mach 6. I also street-tested the SC Solo. Unfortunately I just don't fit Santa Cruz sizing. At 5' 7", I am right in between their S and M, and neither work for me. The S was too small, so I took out the M hoping it would work. The M Bronson was a great steep/technical climber (my first time on a 27.5), and the 27.5 wheels ate up roots and log rolls far better than my usual 26" XC bike. The bigger wheels disappeared sections of rooty trail that usually take significant grunt to get through. It was confidence-inspiring on DH if I left the wheels on the ground, but it felt sluggish on long gentle climbs and I found it ungainly in the air. The bike was just the wrong size for me, and I was happy to return it to the shop.

I rode the 5.7 before the 6, and I fell in love with it. Compared to the Bronson, I immediately felt comfortable on the small 5.7. I was shocked how fast I could take DH corners on otherwise familiar trails. The thing rails. Steep technical climbs were good, although maintaining traction required more fore/aft body adjustment than on the Bronson. It felt light on long grinding climbs and was far better in the air than the Bronson (fit matters). But I was ruined, having ridden a 27.5 wheel. The same rooty sections that the Bronson devoured were back to being annoying on the 5.7, and I missed the increased climbing traction. Nevertheless, it was hard to give the 5.7 back to the shop---I liked it a lot.

Then I rode the M6. And ordered it that same day. The M6 combines the strengths of the 5.7 and the Bronson. The S M6 fits me perfectly. It's endlessly confidence-inspiring on DHs, especially cornering (!!), and it feels better in the air than the already-great 5.7. I expected the M6 to be great on DH and it is. The 27.5 + 6" travel cruises steep log rolls and roots (much better than the 5.7). But what really surprised me is how well the M6 climbs. I tested it yesterday on long gentle climbs, steep technical climbs, and fast/sprinty chase-a-friend-to-the-top climbs, and it left me with no reason to ever ride my 26" 100mm XC bike again. I cleared multiple sections of steep climb that I've never been able to ride clean before (> 7 years on these trails), and it felt plenty rigid on fast pursuits (with suspension in middle "trail" setting). Yes, the M6 is a bit heavier than the 5.7 (roughly 1 - 1.5 lbs of beefier frame + longer suspension + larger wheels?), but it's absolutely worth the weight penalty to have *that* much more fun.
    Last edited by fireswamp; 11-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Finally got to ride one at the demo yesterday. Really liked the wheel size. I actually ended up taking out an XL because the L was always gone. Didn't notice a sizing difference change at all. I'm wondering if the bigger wheels and bigger frame made it feel more comfortable like it was similarly proportioned. I was instantly comfortable on the bike, great climbing, ripped turns no problem, and just seemed to fly going down. Definitely noticed that it felt stiffer. I forgot to check how much travel I ended up using. I did the same loop afterwards on the Firebird and it was much tougher, although I was tired by then.

Overall, it seems like a great blend of lighter weight, wheel size, descending and climbing abilities all wrapped into one. I just wish I could ride it on this one trail in NorCal to see if I was faster, and get some lengthy descents on it.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Friend of mine canceled his Bronson order after riding my Mach 6!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast