Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    My medium stock XX1 build kit came in at 26.9lbs complete with sealant and Shimano 540 pedals.

To answer your question of Warden vs. M6, M6 all the way (though I am biased). Prior to being employed at Pivot, I was an ambassador for Knolly. I had a gen1 Endorphin, gen2 Endorphin, Chilcotin and a Podium. Although I don't have much time on the Warden, I spent 6 years exclusively on Knolly's. I was convinced they were the best bikes, period. Until my opportunity at Pivot, I never would have given the Mach6 a chance. Once I threw a leg over one though, I was sold. This bike can flat out fly. Compared to the gen2 Endo (which is claimed to be a more spirited climber vs the Warden), the M6 climbs better, faster, and with better traction. I live in Phoenix, so I don't have any fire road like climbs, everything we do here is technical. The M6 with the 2015 Fox 36 measures out at 65 degree HA with my phone. The Endo was 67. The M6 doesn't wander even a little on the steeps, and I'm running a shorter stem on it. I'm amazed at how composed this bike climbs. It just hooks up on everything, and my legs are more fresh at the top of the climb than the Knolly, some of it due to the weight and some due to the efficiency.

On the descent, an area I honestly expected this bike to suffer compared to a Knolly, but this bike rips. It has a slightly shorter wheelbase making for a more flickable bike, being carbon and having super short rockers, its stiff as hell yet very complaint. The DW link maintains its momentum better when it gets chunky. The bike stays on top of the chatter vs sinking into it like a Knolly. A different approach, but in my opinion makes for a faster ride. The M6 is easily as plush as the Knolly, but responds incredibly to out of the saddle efforts, where the Knolly will bog down a bit.

The other area that I think the M6 excels at is cornering. I'm by no means a confident cornering guy, but the M6 is an easier bike to ride IMO. The geometry puts you in more naturally in the center of the bike, making cornering easier since you don't need to shift your weight as much. The bike is just easier to ride, and ride fast.

Obviously I am heavily biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However if you were to ask my riding partners about the improvements in my riding since getting the M6 they will agree. I have a few guys converting to M6s hoping they can keep pace

Good luck.
    Interesting to get the perspective of a recovering Knollyer.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Interesting to get the perspective of a recovering Knollyer.
    It wasn't all roses. It took some time to adjust to the new bike. However, my success rate on technical climbs is almost comical on the M6.

I should also mention that I do 30+ mile XC rides on the M6 as well. I was considering getting a M4C or 429SL as a XC bike, but the M6 is so good at everything it has me reconsidering.

Keep in mind, I'm an employee at Pivot, so I have an obvious bias. I do like Knolly bikes, but I have found my happy place on the M6. I'm not sure I could go back.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Keep in mind, I'm an employee at Pivot, so I have an obvious bias. I do like Knolly bikes, but I have found my happy place on the M6. I'm not sure I could go back.
    No worries. I'm not employed by either company and I ended up on the M6 because I wanted an efficient one-bike-to-rule-them-all solution. Your reasoning is sound. It's just that not many people escape the Knollyverse and tell their tale.

The only thing I regret about getting the M6 is the colour I got. Those power ranger graphics on the blue bike hurt my head.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The M6 doesn't wander even a little on the steeps, and I'm running a shorter stem on it. I'm amazed at how composed this bike climbs. It just hooks up on everything, and my legs are more fresh at the top of the climb than the Knolly, some of it due to the weight and some due to the efficiency.

On the descent, an area I honestly expected this bike to suffer compared to a Knolly, but this bike rips. It has a slightly shorter wheelbase making for a more flickable bike, being carbon and having super short rockers, its stiff as hell yet very complaint. The DW link maintains its momentum better when it gets chunky. The bike stays on top of the chatter vs sinking into it like a Knolly. A different approach, but in my opinion makes for a faster ride. The M6 is easily as plush as the Knolly, but responds incredibly to out of the saddle efforts, where the Knolly will bog down a bit.

The other area that I think the M6 excels at is cornering. I'm by no means a confident cornering guy, but the M6 is an easier bike to ride IMO. The geometry puts you in more naturally in the center of the bike, making cornering easier since you don't need to shift your weight as much. The bike is just easier to ride, and ride fast.
    I've had my M6 for just under a month and agree with almost all of your statements. I do find that it wanders a bit on steep climbs but it's probably more due to me not being in the proper position than the bike. On the downhills this bike absolutely rips just like you said. It's so confident inspiring it's scary. Cornering is the same way and find myself taking them at a much faster pace than I normally would with my previous bikes.

The M6 is such a capable bike though I will admit that I had my doubts at first as it is a completely different bike than my Tallboy but I had been wanting to upgrade to more of a "do it all" bike and more specifically, a Pivot for the past 18 months. But the more saddle time I had on it, the more I grew to love it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Appreciate all of the feedback! Ive been riding Knolly's for the past 4 years and was attracted to them for their reputation for being burly and reliable. I raced CAT 1 and wanted something that translated into aggressive and reliable. Although they are well built and climb technical terrain well they are a bit of slug on sprints and fire roads. Im also attracted to the DW link and carbon; i think the 4x4 is great as it produces gobs of traction but for all day rides its not the fastest weapon. Hmmm... so many good bikes out there, but the Mach 6 is sexy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad8604 View Post
    .Hmmm... so many good bikes out there,
    +1 - my 2nd MTB is a 7yr old SC Nomad with middle of the road parts. I've been riding it in winter to reduce the wear/tear on my M6 and to get the fitness boost pushing 8lbs more bike around provides. Despite being heavy and old tech it still rides very well and if it was my only MTB I would not be sad and I would not have problems riding with my friends.

We live in a great time to be a MTBer. There are lots of sweet bikes to ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

We live in a great time to be a MTBer. There are lots of sweet bikes to ride.

Yep, and they are only getting better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

+++Obviously I am heavily biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However if you were to ask my riding partners about the improvements in my riding since getting the M6 they will agree. I have a few guys converting to M6s hoping they can keep pace +++
    ################################################## ############################
    do any of your riding partners post on MTBR? what are their "post names"? i'd definitely like to ask them about what you say.
    i'm not a Knolly owner, but i am thinking of moving to Pivot
    thanks

Good luck.
    ???
    breezy shade

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post

???
    No, but references available upon request AZMC and Vic are the only guys who occasionally hang out here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It wasn't all roses. It took some time to adjust to the new bike. However, my success rate on technical climbs is almost comical on the M6.
    Bwwwahahahahhaaaaaa! That's because all the god damn trails have been sanitized by the city, sport .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Why is my bike so heavy, or why is everybody else's so light?

Medium M6, XT 1x10 -w- 40t rear cog, 203/180mm disks, CK hubs, WTB i25 rims with (tubeless) Maxxis TR 2.35 DHF/HRII, Specialized Blacklite post, MRP AMG chain guide...29.9lbs.

Do relatively heavy hubs(?), tires, post(?) and chain guide really add up to 3+lbs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I Need to know if someone has a picture of a pivot mach 6 complete bike boxed prior to assembly, as shipped by pivot.
    Im about to get a new one (going from med to large) and as im asking a friend to bring it with him (i live in Perú) i Need to know The box size.
    Does it come with The rear wheel mounted?
    I Bought my med one through pink bike and it was shipped by The previous owner so i dont know how pivot ships Them.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here's how mine came
    Mach 6 Review Thread-2014-03-27-15.58.10.jpg

Mach 6 Review Thread-2014-03-27-15.55.58.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Csasb View Post
    I Need to know if someone has a picture of a pivot mach 6 complete bike boxed prior to assembly, as shipped by pivot.
    Im about to get a new one (going from med to large) and as im asking a friend to bring it with him (i live in Perú) i Need to know The box size.
    Does it come with The rear wheel mounted?
    I Bought my med one through pink bike and it was shipped by The previous owner so i dont know how pivot ships Them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Csasb, I sent you a pm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Why is my bike so heavy, or why is everybody else's so light?

Medium M6, XT 1x10 -w- 40t rear cog, 203/180mm disks, CK hubs, WTB i25 rims with (tubeless) Maxxis TR 2.35 DHF/HRII, Specialized Blacklite post, MRP AMG chain guide...29.9lbs.

Do relatively heavy hubs(?), tires, post(?) and chain guide really add up to 3+lbs?
    Mine weighs in a @ 28lbs even. Are your DHF/HRII the wire bead or folding? a difference of 2-300 grams each

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ive got the 2015 XO1 w/KS LEV...with the stock HR II's it was also 28lbs even.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Mine is the same specs as norcal riders bike and with mallet 3 pedales is in 28.6 lbs

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Not sure where to put this, so I'll just drop it here.

After having a spacer installed in my rear shock, my M6 developed a clunk under heavy torque.

First I thought it was the headset/spacers, but finally narrowed it down to a lack of grease at the shock mount yoke. Don't let that area get dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I only own my M6 for 5months. Been riding it like I stole it, no noise so far.

BTW, mind is XT 2x10 with Ks Lev, Nevegal and DHR. Weights in 29.8lb. Want to drop a lb of it, but don't know where to start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chumanji9 View Post

BTW, mind is XT 2x10 with Ks Lev, Nevegal and DHR. Weights in 29.8lb. Want to drop a lb of it, but don't know where to start.
    Go 1 x 10 if you can. That will save some weight easily right there.

Keep on Rockin...
    My rear shock, Fox Float X, just returned from Fox for a rebuild. Turned out the shock was not functioning correctly from the start. This led me down the road to tweaks and bandaids that helped crutch the underlying problem - and unfortunately some posts that probably rendered some advice based on an incorrect baselline.

Well, right now I'm pretty darn happy with the rear shock, though I do have a larger airspacer in it. Still might consider a CCDB at some point, but for now I'm good. FYI, I'm about 185# with light gear and run about the same psi. That landed me right on the sag line. I toggle between Descend and Trail 1. Rebound in a click or two past mid-point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Miker J,

Interesting to hear your results from the rebuild. I just received my Vorsprung Corset this week and will be throwing it on shortly. I'll be interested to see how it does along with rebuilding the shock in the process.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi, guys.

Very informative thread.

Coming from an Ibis SLR and then Banshee Spitfire v2, I would say that the Mach 6 I've been riding almost daily for 4 months is a massive improvement on the descend area... not at par with the 2 in pedaling but I can confidently say it's the best of the 3.

I know, they are not in the same category but what I lost in the pedaling, I made up in the fun department.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Doubt there's a creak and clunk thread so I'll just drop this here.

If you take your shock off, consult the torque values on the Pivot website, turns out the shock mounting bolt for the clevis takes quite a bit more torque than you'd imagine (25ft/lbs, NOT in/lbs, or something). If it's not set to that, you'll get a clunk that's easily reproduced by standing to the side of the bike tilting it over and pushing the pedal. Probably applies to all Pivots with the same clevis design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    32nm for the rear bolt and 13nm for the front. Rear bolt started originally at 12nm, then jumped to 24nm after months of creaks and complaints by many people, now it is up to 32nm, which seems like a lot for a shock bolt.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/wp-conten...-Removal_S.pdf

I can attest that if you do more than 13nm for the front bolt, you will snap it off. Easy extraction, but not fun to get replacement bolts.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456