Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Not that I'm biased or anything
    Have you replaced your FB with one?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Stealth black with the stealthy Pike = sickness!!!! Definitely on my Xmas list.

mtbr member
    Mach 6 Review Thread-img_0034.jpg

Waiting 2 months now for my XL to land in Australia ! So damn keen to start riding on full suspension again!

xo1, pikes, renthal, rail wheels, x9 trail brakes, reverb!

Two weeks away apparently .
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Mach 6 Review Thread-image.jpg

Waiting on a few parts to show up still and busy with work so this is as far as I've got so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Demo'd a Large Mach 6 today. I'm comparing it to my current ride of an Ibis Mojo HD of 3 years.

Good:

Geometry is dialed. They did have an 80 mm stem on which is just silly long in my book.

Suspension is excellent. A bit more progressive than my HD which is appreciated. I blow through the entire travel too easily on my HD on jumps even with the proper 30% sag.

650b is legit. First time I ever rode anything but 20" and 24" BMX (7 years), 26" MTB and 700c road (23 years). The improved rollover was noticed in chunk and chunder.

Pedalling - every bit as good as my HD. DW link is perfect. I anticipated more pedal feedback in the granny gear as I believe the axle path to be more rearward on the Mach 6. This expectation didn't materialize.

So-so:

The cable management lived up to my negative anticipation. There were witness marks and clear evidence of prior rubbing around the shock yoke. They have since routed the cables with small standoffs in the zip ties and this seemed to alleviate that issue but I still think it would required a carefully contrived nest of zip ties to keep everything off the yoke and shock shaft and still moving smoothly.

Somewhat ugly:

The rear end/wheel stiffness seemed insufficient for my tastes. As a caveat, the bike was neutered with a silly Honey Badger tire on the rear. Combine that w/ the fact that the O'Neil demo doesn't have the terrain to blast berms or slam it into turns and to be fair I didn't notice it on the trail.

But carving or small kick slides back on pavement and I could feel the rear end torqueing and winding up. I dismounted and pushed laterally on the rear wheel and it flexed fairly easily all the way to the seat stay. There were witness mark of prior tire rub. Mind you, this is even with that relatively narrow Honey Badger tire. As best I could discern visually, the flex was coming from both the wheel (relative to the rear end) and the rear end (relative to the seat tube).

All in all I really like this bike and want to try another demo for a longer period and on rougher trails. At this point the downside of the rear flex outweighs the 650b advantage for me but YMMV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I came off a Carbine and in side by side comparison Mach 6 stiffer by far.I currently have Maxxis Highroller II 2.3's on but had the 2.4's for several weeks,now with about two months bike on it shows no sign of tire rub,what are you comparing to? and yes I have and do put it through it's paces! I'm not gentle on a bike and push it hard,so far I am more then pleased with overall performance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A Pike!

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    Interesting about the flex in the rear. Only person I have seen say this. Every other review says the strong rear triangle is a major plus of the design. He did mention that he didn't feel it on the trail. I'm wondering if it's the wheels.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I came off a Carbine and in side by side comparison Mach 6 stiffer by far.
    A new bike is stiffer than an old one?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Saying something is stiffer than an Intense may not be saying much? I used to be a big Intense fanboy. Owned a Horst style Uzzi SL for 7 years. Moved onto a 6.6 and the rear end was a complete limp d!ck wet noddle. I've not tried a Carbine so I can't speak firsthand.

But I think the Carbine stays are much like the 6.6 stays were and like the Mach 6 stays as well...they are formed in a somewhat vertical rectangular shape. This gives them lots of vertical stiffness and integrity but less in the lateral plane. Compare that to something axisymmetric like the square-ish HD stays.

Not bagging on the Mach 6 in the slightest...I want to demo another one and try to isolate how much of the flex was from the wheel. Suspension, pedalling, and geometry were best in class IMHO. I suspect most folks would neither notice nor be effected by some rear end flex. Just reporting what I felt riding, pushing on the wheel, and saw (tire rub marks).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Not bagging on the Mach 6 in the slightest...I want to demo another one and try to isolate how much of the flex was from the wheel. Suspension, pedalling, and geometry were best in class IMHO. I suspect most folks would neither notice nor be effected by some rear end flex. Just reporting what I felt riding, pushing on the wheel, and saw (tire rub marks).
    Strange...as a previous Pivot owner, I can say that historically Pivot has had some of the stiffest rear ends on the market. Like all bikes, they aren't perfect (I broke my previous Pivot rear triangle). I haven't ridden a M6 yet; but, I would be shocked if the rear end was flexy. I would bet the bike you rode has some sort of issue with the rear wheel.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    @Dodger. Thanks for the follow up. I think rear end lateral flex is something the bike media need to test objectively. It would be great to see real numbers regarding frame flex from side to side. The front end of most bikes, especially carbon, seems to be sorted out and plenty stiff. The rear is another story.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Myself and three of my riding friends have the Mach 6 and none of us have had any experience with tire rub using a variety of tires.I too am curious as to why @Dodger did on a demo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Myself and three of my riding friends have the Mach 6 and none of us have had any experience with tire rub using a variety of tires.I too am curious as to why @Dodger did on a demo?
    Curious if you're running the stock DT wheels? I checked the axle and spokes and all were tight. The Pivot folks somewhat flippantly chalked it up to the wheels but I could see the stays flexing relative to the seat tube. A side by side lateral push of the wheel next to my 3 year old HD and the difference was noticeable (I'd guess off hand 50% more flex).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a DT Swiss 350 with 36 ratchet kit laced to Stans Flow Ex,front is Chub Hub.others have stock DT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dodger-curious what size HD you run and how tall you are. At 6'2" I'm on an XL HD which still feels a little too short. The numbers suggest an XL HD is very close to a L M6.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 6' even and on a L HD w/ 75mm stem. The L Mach 6 fit me great but I'd want something around a 60mm stem if that helps?

Side note: I run my bars really high and on the HD the exposed steerer above the headset looks like a giraffe neck. I liked that the 27.5 inherently raises up the front end. The rise of the bars on the demo bike was about 1.5" less than my personal steed but it was pretty close in absolute height given the taller axle.

The Mach 6 was quite easy to lift the front end and manual, much like the HD. It really seemed like a great all rounder, I'd like to further investigate the flex issue to get to the bottom of it.

mtbr member

Love my new mach 6

Mach 6 Review Thread-img_0056.jpg Feels just as fast as my 29er trail bike, pedals excellent (Pedals seated through rough chatter a lot smoother too), when I sit on it it feels like my DH bike, loves to jump and corners faster, seems to have better traction than my 29er (same tires), head angle is great gives me heaps of support downhill on the steep technical stuff.

had a creaking noise, only happened while cranking hard, ended up being a cracked stem spacer of all things. bike is all good
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mach 6 Review Thread

Nice build! XL? What's the weight and how tall are you? Oh and what 29 are u comparing too?

mtbr member
    its an xl and i'm 6'3 with long arms/long legs, the 50mm stem 20mm rise bars feel very comfortable. 13.5kg, and comparing to a bandit 29er which is a fairly simple suspension, this blows it out of the water but the bandit is a great bike
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg 
Views:	1032 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	855488 Feels just as fast as my 29er trail bike, pedals excellent (Pedals seated through rough chatter a lot smoother too), when I sit on it it feels like my DH bike, loves to jump and corners faster, seems to have better traction than my 29er (same tires), head angle is great gives me heaps of support downhill on the steep technical stuff.

had a creaking noise, only happened while cranking hard, ended up being a cracked stem spacer of all things. bike is all good
    hello Joel , Great build !!! I'm from France, i bought a frame M6 kit ( black green as you ) with Fox 34 160mm Kashima fork, and have you got any more shoots of you're bike, because i'm hesitate between Mavic Crossmax enduro wheels and the Sram rail 50 as you, i'll like to compare visually thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 6 Review Thread-mach-163.jpg  

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    Have a DT Swiss 350 with 36 ratchet kit laced to Stans Flow Ex,front is Chub Hub.others have stock DT.
    How are the stock wheels holding up? Do you consider the flow EX a better rim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    that is a SPOT ON review. and I agree about the cables. but otherwise I can't find fault with anything on this bike after 2 months or so now. LOVE IT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FREDMIT View Post
    hello Joel , Great build !!! I'm from France, i bought a frame M6 kit ( black green as you ) with Fox 34 160mm Kashima fork, and have you got any more shoots of you're bike, because i'm hesitate between Mavic Crossmax enduro wheels and the Sram rail 50 as you, i'll like to compare visually thanks
    check out this thread, Mach 6 Project bike
    Pivot mach 6!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast