Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Congrats, you are going to love it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    From the few previous posts it sounds like everyone would recommend an XL for my 6'2" frame with a 34-35" cycling inseam...

My Cannondale Scalpel 29er is a size L, and has a 24.3in top tube that I run with a 90 stem. The stock 110mm was an endo-maker for sure on jumps/drops. Sounds like the XL with its 25.3in top tube and a 35 stem would still shorten things up a bit and put the bar a little higher...

Nobody seems to have an XL Mach 6 near here to demo or rent so I'm flying a little blind... Curious to know everyone's thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    From the few previous posts it sounds like everyone would recommend an XL for my 6'2" frame with a 34-35" cycling inseam...

My Cannondale Scalpel 29er is a size L, and has a 24.3in top tube that I run with a 90 stem. The stock 110mm was an endo-maker for sure on jumps/drops. Sounds like the XL with its 25.3in top tube and a 35 stem would still shorten things up a bit and put the bar a little higher...

Nobody seems to have an XL Mach 6 near here to demo or rent so I'm flying a little blind... Curious to know everyone's thoughts.
    My thoughts are you should stop thinking so much about it and just buy one. Not one day have I ever regretted buying my Mach 6. Four of my riding buddies have since bought one as well. They all have thanked me for introducing them to Pivot Cycles. You're welcome!

BarBanger
    Feb 2008

I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam and my XL w/ a 50mm stem is perfect. Love the fit. Do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome. Thanks. Hoping to pick one up in September after earning a little extra cash and healing up from surgery..

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I am 5-10 but have fairly long legs and arms. Pivot recommends a M based on my height but I bought a L so I could run a 50mm stem with wide bars. It fits perfect. At your height I can't imagine a L would fit well, unless you want to set it up like an XC racer with a long stem. But then you will miss out on what makes this a great bike: pretty good climber, a bomber on the descents. Have fun with it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sounds like XL is probably the winner for me. Now I just need to figure out whether it's Mach 6 or Nomad... Good thing I've got a few more weeks of recovery time to think about it.

mtbr member

Mach 6 Review Thread

I'm going to drag this thread back from the dead just to say that after 7 mos. and 1,200 mi I still love my Mach 6. It's getting even better lately now that I'm getting it totally dialed in.

Some key tweaks I feel have made a big difference in dialing it in are:
    - 760mm wide bars: feel so much better than my original 710mm bars
    - Pike 150mm: I tried a Fox 36 160mm for a few weeks but for the way I ride the Pike is better
    - Minion DHR2 tires: I've been running one in the rear for 3 mos. and it has the best traction I've ever experienced...especially braking and it's reasonably light. I just now replaced my HR2 on the front with another DHR2. I've read a lot of good things about it on the front, so I'm anxious to try it on the trail

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    +1! Went backwards today with the spacer, but it's still the first bike I've ever owned that I didn't want to sell after 6 mos. It's so good downhill. Tons of front end traction, balanced handling in fast corners, it climbs like a xc bike, and it's not a [enter big bad bike company that you see everywhere].

mtbr member

Mach 6 Review Thread

And it's drop dead gorgeous in blue or black.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Indeed!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Personal tweeks on my Mach 6

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    I'm going to drag this thread back from the dead just to say that after 7 mos. and 1,200 mi I still love my Mach 6. It's getting even better lately now that I'm getting it totally dialed in.

Some key tweaks I feel have made a big difference in dialing it in are:
    - 760mm wide bars: feel so much better than my original 710mm bars
    - Pike 150mm: I tried a Fox 36 160mm for a few weeks but for the way I ride the Pike is better
    - Minion DHR2 tires: I've been running one in the rear for 3 mos. and it has the best traction I've ever experienced...especially braking and it's reasonably light. I just now replaced my HR2 on the front with another DHR2. I've read a lot of good things about it on the front, so I'm anxious to try it on the trail
    I agree with the above post. After many hours on the bike it is still a great bike. Here is what I've done:
    -780mm bars
    -DHR2 tires: Love 'em! Best all around tires I've tried
    -Avalanche tuned suspension: Retuned shock with the modified CTD switch. SSD oil bath damper in the fork. I was a little worried about replacing the Charger damper but didn't need to be. Avalanche made a really good bike significantly better. The Pike is a much better fork than the Fox 34, but still to much brake dive at the top of the stroke. The shock always wallowed around in the mid stroke to much. The Avalanche tune keeps the bike up in it's travel with no wallowing or diveiness (is there such a word?) yet is still very plush and supportive at high and low speed. Great stuff!:
    -Thompson stealth dropper
    -The cable routing still sucks, but that is a minor flaw

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just finished building mine....

[/URL]

[/URL]

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks great. I looked at your Photobucket pics. Do you have a crack in the cable stop and some chipping on the pivot joint?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes there was a crack, I notice the crack before building it, took it to my LBS and they got me a new rear triangle (covered by Pivot's warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Looks great. I looked at your Photobucket pics. Do you have a crack in the cable stop and some chipping on the pivot joint?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm just on 6'3" and I have an XL and I wouldn't go smaller. Feels like the right size to crank out the miles and have a lot of mine on the downhills. My buddy is 6'2" and he also bought a XL - so I'd say lock it in.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Stealthy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Waiting for new Derby rims to get laced with my new Hadleys. Was running HRII 2.4 up front and Ardent 2.4 in rear. Was thinking i should swap out rear to Ardent 2.25. What do you guys think? Is it worth the trouble or wait until the 2.4 wears out?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Has anyone ridden or owned a Knolly before the Mach 6? I'm currently on a Warden which is a great bike but looking for something lighter and quicker on the climbs .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad8604 View Post
    Has anyone ridden or owned a Knolly before the Mach 6? I'm currently on a Warden which is a great bike but looking for something lighter and quicker on the climbs .
    I had a Warden on order back in 2013 and cancelled that order to get a Mach 6. I have friends with Wardens. I've had a short test ride, but nothing substantive.

I really like the efficiency of the DW Link for a one-bike-to-rule-them-all solution. Light and quickness on climbs is what sold me on the Mach 6.

The Warden looks like a sweet bike and if I could afford a second bling ride I'd try one, but that's not in the cards.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply . Do you have an aggressive build ? If so what's the weight ?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply . Do you have an aggressive build ? If so what's the weight ?
    https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/20...-pivot-mach-6/

Just under 28lbs. Gets ridden on steep and techy coastal BC terrain which I think stacks up well against pretty much anything out there.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Awesome. Thanks. Hoping to pick one up in September after earning a little extra cash and healing up from surgery..
    That's what I did. It was my healing celebratory present to myself. A hell of an upgrade from anything I'd ever ridden before, the nicest being my Hardrock.

I don't track my riding miles, but I've loved every inch of them on the M6! It does everything so well: corners like a gazelle, climbs both steady and technical like a goat, claws its way through and over rocks like a tiger, jumps like a jackrabbit, floats like a butterfly, lands with the grace of a swan, and continues downhill like a rolling stone shredding whatever you throw at it.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just did a weight check with my current component list and Im looking at 26 lbs. This includes pedals but not cables , sealant, etc. Is this crazy low for an XL Frame build or pretty common. Shit if I could get it to 27-28 I would be amped.

Pivoteer
    I just did a weight check with my current component list and Im looking at 26 lbs. This includes pedals but not cables , sealant, etc. Is this crazy low for an XL Frame build or pretty common. Shit if I could get it to 27-28 I would be amped.
    My medium stock XX1 build kit came in at 26.9lbs complete with sealant and Shimano 540 pedals.

To answer your question of Warden vs. M6, M6 all the way (though I am biased). Prior to being employed at Pivot, I was an ambassador for Knolly. I had a gen1 Endorphin, gen2 Endorphin, Chilcotin and a Podium. Although I don't have much time on the Warden, I spent 6 years exclusively on Knolly's. I was convinced they were the best bikes, period. Until my opportunity at Pivot, I never would have given the Mach6 a chance. Once I threw a leg over one though, I was sold. This bike can flat out fly. Compared to the gen2 Endo (which is claimed to be a more spirited climber vs the Warden), the M6 climbs better, faster, and with better traction. I live in Phoenix, so I don't have any fire road like climbs, everything we do here is technical. The M6 with the 2015 Fox 36 measures out at 65 degree HA with my phone. The Endo was 67. The M6 doesn't wander even a little on the steeps, and I'm running a shorter stem on it. I'm amazed at how composed this bike climbs. It just hooks up on everything, and my legs are more fresh at the top of the climb than the Knolly, some of it due to the weight and some due to the efficiency.

On the descent, an area I honestly expected this bike to suffer compared to a Knolly, but this bike rips. It has a slightly shorter wheelbase making for a more flickable bike, being carbon and having super short rockers, its stiff as hell yet very complaint. The DW link maintains its momentum better when it gets chunky. The bike stays on top of the chatter vs sinking into it like a Knolly. A different approach, but in my opinion makes for a faster ride. The M6 is easily as plush as the Knolly, but responds incredibly to out of the saddle efforts, where the Knolly will bog down a bit.

The other area that I think the M6 excels at is cornering. I'm by no means a confident cornering guy, but the M6 is an easier bike to ride IMO. The geometry puts you in more naturally in the center of the bike, making cornering easier since you don't need to shift your weight as much. The bike is just easier to ride, and ride fast.

Obviously I am heavily biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However if you were to ask my riding partners about the improvements in my riding since getting the M6 they will agree. I have a few guys converting to M6s hoping they can keep pace

Good luck.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast