Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mach 6 plus Stan's hub plus XO cassete equals chain rub on inner seat stay

Getting ready for my first ride and noticed this. It seems way too close, zero tolerance. Am I missing something here? When I tighten the rear axle all the way it leaves almost zero room between the cassette and the frame. Followed Mr. Stans directions to the T when changing axles. Wtf ?? Can someone help?????

mtbr member
    I don't know if this helps but I bought this second hand a friend of a friend deal. Basically bought the frame and rear axle. Dude moved up to a large not sure I got everything I need.

mtbr member
    I am going to to buy a $329 pre built rear wheel tomorrow to send if it helps. Crossing my fingers

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about your issue, but generally it is pretty damn close and mine has left some deep rub marks, i adjusted the derailleur and stopped using that cog
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I'm not sure about your issue, but generally it is pretty damn close and mine has left some deep rub marks, i adjusted the derailleur and stopped using that cog
    If that's the case I'm gonna sell this POS and get something else.
    Ok now that I've calmed down can anyone recommend a hub that offers more clearance? Does one exist?
    Last edited by Ineedmorecowbell; 04-08-2014 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine does the same thing with I-9 hubs. I don't think it's a hub issue, I think it's a frame issue. Some sort of spacer between the frame and hub would probably fix it.

mtbr member
    Sure would be nice if that "Pivotal figure" would chime in.

mtbr member
    Clearance on my M6 in the smallest XX1 cassette cog is minimal.

I'm just going to stick a Lizard Skin patch on there and replace it every once in a while. It's not a gear I use frequently.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pivotal figure
    Give me a call at the shop. Been slammed w Sea Otter preps and haven't had much time to keep up with other stuff.
    480-467-2920
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    There is a kit available from Pivot to solve the issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    There is a kit available from Pivot to solve the issue.
    Been super busy this past week haven't had time to call Pivot. Tell me more about this kit. Is it free? Or do I have to pay Pivot to make my bike work correctly?

mtbr member
    It is free. Looks like a washer that is bonded to the frame using some stuff they provide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    It is free. Looks like a washer that is bonded to the frame using some stuff they provide.
    Thanks. I'll look into getting one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looks like this

Little glue in pos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 6 plus Stan's hub plus XO cassete equals chain rub on inner seat stay-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acmack View Post
    Little glue in pos
    Is that from Pivot or some DIY work?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    From pivot

mtbr member
    From pivot
    Wow. That's a state of the art solution.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pivotal figure
    Official response:

Actually, it is a state of the art solution that has been amended all at the factory production level and fortunately can also be added later on. The parts are precision CNC machined and fit the dropout perfectly. In an effort to design the Mach 6 with short chainstays, great stiffness and great heel clearance, this area was reduced to the minimum spec. However, with different hubs/cassette bodies having different tolerances, combined with variance in paint thickness and even tolerance differences in the chains, we have experienced this issue with certain combinations. In an effort to account for every combination in the market place, we made this small running change to the frame design. If you have a Mach 6 running SRAM 1 X 11 and have a clearance issue with your frame, we (Pivot) are taking care of this free of charge. You just need to contact Pivot or your local dealer and we will work with you to figure out the best way to handle the update.

This is directly from Chris C.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Perhaps it looks more state of the art in person. I'll see when I get mine.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Having mine fixed at The Path next week. Pivot shipped the part today to complete the fix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It works good, once you glue it in its semi permenant, there is still heaps of lip in the dropout to catch the wheel axle. It's just a bit of a surprise before the fix when your new $$$$ 11 speed is actually a 10 speed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Official response:

Actually, it is a state of the art solution that has been amended all at the factory production level and fortunately can also be added later on. The parts are precision CNC machined and fit the dropout perfectly. In an effort to design the Mach 6 with short chainstays, great stiffness and great heel clearance, this area was reduced to the minimum spec. However, with different hubs/cassette bodies having different tolerances, combined with variance in paint thickness and even tolerance differences in the chains, we have experienced this issue with certain combinations. In an effort to account for every combination in the market place, we made this small running change to the frame design. If you have a Mach 6 running SRAM 1 X 11 and have a clearance issue with your frame, we (Pivot) are taking care of this free of charge. You just need to contact Pivot or your local dealer and we will work with you to figure out the best way to handle the update.

My Mach 6 with X01 build is experiencing the rubbing so I called Pivot yesterday and they said I HAD to bring the bike into a local dealer. The two closest dealers are an hour away which makes this a real pain in the ass to resolve. I'm pretty pissed off at Pivot right now...and it's really taking away the excitement I had from buying it in the first place.
    Thanks Pivot! (sarcasm)

mtbr member
    It works good, once you glue it in its semi permenant, there is still heaps of lip in the dropout to catch the wheel axle. It's just a bit of a surprise before the fix when your new $$$$ 11 speed is actually a 10 speed!
    Mine turned into a 9 from a 10

mtbr member

State of the art spacer. Glue into your drive side dropout and you are XX1/XO1 compatible!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Official response:

Do I need to go to Pivot directly? My LBS told me some woman at Pivot needed a pic of my dropout . Sent LBS a pic. Haven't heard anything in 2 weeks. Chris C. seems cool, are his employees?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast