mtbr member
    May 2006

Mach 6 a Marathon XC Racing Machine?

Do you think the Mach 6 could be made into a marathon class XC racing machine? Iím sure itís a little long in travel for pure XC racing, but for the longer races, 4-5 of travel are the bees knees for all day comfort, saving the back and legs on the really long ones. Would 6 inches be even better if it was built on a stiff, well pedaling platform?

Iím sure that if you bought a Mac 6 frame, built it up with XX1 components, ENVE carbon wheels, and a few other weight wennie bits, it could hit the 25 lb mark (with pedals), which is totally in the ballpark. My question is would it be efficient enough for all day pedaling, and hit the mark for a more XC position on the bike?

Itís time to retire my 2009 Mach 4 to secondary status (although the frame is still going strong), and move to a 429C or maybe the M6.

Thoughts? I was really hoping for a 100mm 27.5 bike like the Giant Anthem just released for my racing jones (but Iím not buying a Giant!)

mtbr member
    Honestly, I would hope not. It seems like it would be a bit of a miss if it were not a much more active bike than a Mach 4.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by lynd View Post
    Do you think the Mach 6 could be made into a marathon class XC racing machine?
    I think you might be delusional in your thinkingÖÖÖ.Öthat class is better served with 4-5" travel frames

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mach 5.7c for that or 429c, imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siderion View Post
    Mach 5.7c for that or 429c, imo.
    What he said. With the edge to the 429 for the bigger rolling wheels.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

650b me
    Yeah, that's too much travel for that kind of racing.

1. Mach 429
    2. Mach 4

I'm still lovin' my 2009 Mach 4.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Its inherently a stupid idea but its your money to spend
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Wow! I am thinking the same but had trouble typing it.

Still loving that orange bike? Need to try one of those...

mtbr member
    Six inch travel bikes like the Mach 6, 5.7c and FB have steeper HT angles and are WAY too much bike to race XC with. Yes, they can do longer epic rides for fun, especially if the distance get's one to wicked fast, crazy technical descents. However, you'd always be looking at the rear end of the 2nd to last rider in a XC race setting.

Get the 429C - it was designed for the type of riding you want to do.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Wow! I am thinking the same but had trouble typing it.

Still loving that orange bike? Need to try one of those...
    oh god the Czar is good. Ego inducing dry conditions locally so trails are in amazing shape. Haven't even used the longer travelled Pivot Mach 5 all month
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    While harsh considering you've never ridden the bike, I think its a fair assesement based on previous 6+ inch bikes. As technology progresses, its possible one day 6 inch bikes could be considered "short travel" XC bikes, just thought we might be approaching that now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been riding a Mach 5 for 4 1/2 years and thought it was the best XC / Trail bike for me. I am looking at getting a 5.7 C as an upgrade as I ride a lot of single track suited to the 5. I think a 5.7 C is a better bet if you want to stick with smaller wheels than a 429. You can build the 5.7 lighter than you would a Mach 6 I would think. Mach 6 has heavier shock and wheels being larger.

In Saying that I have a couple of mates who ride 6 inch travel Trek Remedy's and one in particular is well in the pointy end of his field so if you are fit and strong you may get away with the 6. It would be much faster on the downs than most 4 inch travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bet you'll love the Mach 5.7C better than the Mach 4 for marathon XC. No weight penalty over your current bike. The suspension smooths out the trail and that makes a 100km race a lot more fun!
    I ride my Mach 5.7C on the road for an hour to get to the trail, and use it for tarmac hillclimbs on week nights. Its climbing, out of the saddle acceleration and descending is fantastic. I've raced several XCO races and also 12 hour races (DNF,though), and I'd rather race on the Mach 5.7C than a hardtail of short travel bike.
    The Mach 6 would probably be about a pound heavier than the Mach 5.7C due to the heavier tires, 34mm fork and rear shock.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not mentioned yet, but if you start to get competitive you'll really wish you had a bottle cage, especially for marathons. Even for long training rides or adventure rides it's nice to be able to carry a bottle of a sports drink type mixture in addition to a camelbak. Top choice for what you described 429c. 2nd choice, eh, never mind, just go with the 429c. It's the best Pivot for marathon, next best would probably be the Mach 4 with a 120mm fork, or a 100mm fork and 27.5 front tire.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by lynd View Post
    While harsh considering you've never ridden the bike, I think its a fair assesement based on previous 6+ inch bikes. As technology progresses, its possible one day 6 inch bikes could be considered "short travel" XC bikes, just thought we might be approaching that now.
    Maybe, but I'm not sure we're in the more travel the better...