Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    422

    Mach 6 internal cable

    So I have pretty much made up my mind to upgrade to a Mach 6 from my 08 Morewood Shova St. I love the bike, but I've got the itch for a new steed.

    My question is does anyone know or have heard of Pivot fixing the internal cable mess in next years frame? I just don't want to put stick on cable guides on a 3k frame....

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    Maybe I've missed some post on here about internal routing issues. I'm on an XL first production run Mach 6 running a front derailleur, rear derailleur, reverb stealth and Shimano disk breaks with very little issues. Yes there is some rub on the shock and yes the rear break is run externally but these are very minor issues for me. The external rear disk is a non issue in my mind, it looks clean, its out of the way and its a direct line to the rear minimizing cable length and awkward bends. As for the shock rubbing its a minor issues for me. Yes its a little hokey at first and yes there is some rub but take a few min and set it up correctly. Run the cables correctly and at the correct length, then just add a couple little pieces of frame tape on the shock and you're done. Its an amazing frame and yes at this price you would like to see ALL issues no matter how small worked out but take your time on setting it up and keep an eye on it for the first few week and you should be ok.

    Its an amazing frame you will not be disappointed.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,866
    It is a non issue for me. Took a little while to get it right, but solid now. I doubt they will change the design. Rumor is new molds run somewhere around $10K+ per size, so a big investment to change cable routing.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    422
    I guess your right. I just obsess over bike setup. I'm a machinist so I sweat the small stuff if you catch my drift!

    Now to just get the wife to ok the build and I'll be golden! Having 2 kids under 2 is tough on the budget. I just had a killer 1st quarter of business and the 2nd quarter looks good also, so she might go for it.

    Is anybody riding a Mach 6 that is 225lbs+? I'd be interested in some thoughts. I finally found the fork for me in the XFusion Vengeance. I would like to know how the fox shox does w a heavy rider or would I need to send the shox to Avy straight away.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    I'm 6'2 230-235lbs depending on how many beers I've had the night before. The Fox float X spec'ed on the frame is great!! I don't feel it blows through the travel like other FOX shocks I've owned. For reference I've had a couple other variations of Fox's RP23 and I've never been happy with its bottom out support. Where with the Fox X I always feel like there is something left. Like anything suspension feel is very subjective. I would definitely give it a go before sending it out for major service. That being said I would love to have high and low speed compression but don't worry about the support.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    422
    Thanks for the info! I just always had trouble withe mid stoke support w all my bikes because of being heavy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    384
    I am 225 and so far the Fox Float feels good. I hit a lot of drops and smaller jumps and ride pretty aggressive. I don't feel I am blowing through the shock at all. I will probably add the big volume spacer like Vik did which should help. I came from a few RP23's as well on Enduro's and it was very wallowy, even with a big volume spacer installed.

    I would say just ride it for a while before you make any decisions. Maybe try the spacer fix first after that since it is a very cheap upgrade.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    422
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Just gotta scrap a few more $ together so I can order a frame.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,248
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    I guess your right. I just obsess over bike setup. I'm a machinist so I sweat the small stuff if you catch my drift!
    I'm with you on that and the Mach 6 cable setup made me a little crazy. I ended up running the cables externally and when I have the courage I'll drill out the rear derailleur cable stops and run full length housing all the way to the derailleur. I ride in wet conditions a lot so having full length housing except for the last 12" where the rear wheel is firing lots of grit and water is silly.

    The bike rides great and you can sort out the niggles.

    SP is right about the cost of molds. I doubt you'll see any changes until a new model is released in a couple years.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Is anybody riding a Mach 6 that is 225lbs+? I'd be interested in some thoughts. I finally found the fork for me in the XFusion Vengeance. I would like to know how the fox shox does w a heavy rider or would I need to send the shox to Avy straight away.
    If you have the $$ and can get the shock turned around fast go with Avy. If not get some volume reducers and throw in something decent sized and deal with Avy when it makes sense.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm with you on that and the Mach 6 cable setup made me a little crazy. I ended up running the cables externally and when I have the courage I'll drill out the rear derailleur cable stops and run full length housing all the way to the derailleur. I ride in wet conditions a lot so having full length housing except for the last 12" where the rear wheel is firing lots of grit and water is silly.

    The bike rides great and you can sort out the niggles.

    SP is right about the cost of molds. I doubt you'll see any changes until a new model is released in a couple years.



    If you have the $$ and can get the shock turned around fast go with Avy. If not get some volume reducers and throw in something decent sized and deal with Avy when it makes sense.

    Thanks for the reply. i ride in east TN were in the fall, winter and spring its pretty wet so i agree w you on the cables. How has your frame protectors worked out around the linkage where rocks were grinding into the clear coat?

    I might ride it for a minute and see how it goes. i live pretty close to Avy so i dont think turnaround would be a huge deal. im a suspension weenie anyway so i might not be able to help myself....

    i just have been on the search for a do all bike for a couple years and i think this bike checks all the boxes as long as it can climb like everybody says it can. i want to use this bike for everything including 12hr races.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,248
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Thanks for the reply. i ride in east TN were in the fall, winter and spring its pretty wet so i agree w you on the cables. How has your frame protectors worked out around the linkage where rocks were grinding into the clear coat?

    I might ride it for a minute and see how it goes. i live pretty close to Avy so i dont think turnaround would be a huge deal. im a suspension weenie anyway so i might not be able to help myself....

    i just have been on the search for a do all bike for a couple years and i think this bike checks all the boxes as long as it can climb like everybody says it can. i want to use this bike for everything including 12hr races.
    I had some gravel in the rock crusher aka lower link, but the lizard skins patches kept the carbon from being damaged.

    I think the Mach 6 is a great do it all bike for folks that care about climbing as much as the descents.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM
  2. Internal cable routing
    By iwantalitebike in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
  3. Internal Cable Routing?
    By kfb66 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
  4. Internal cable routing as it relates to cable housing bend?
    By Drew Diller in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
  5. Help with internal cable routing
    By GrantB in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •