Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 62 of 62
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    36
    Salespunk, I've noticed you on the Socal Forums. My wife and I are moving out to LA in a few weeks and I'd love some advice on where to ride, where not to ride, etc... Or someone to ride with once we get settled in. I've been checking out trail reviews, and socal forums, but nothing compares to someone who actually knows the area!

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20
    So I/m 5'10 and I rode the M6 (during a demo) , Medium with a 65mm stem and felt good.
    The large was not available.

    I currently ride a Blur LT medium with a 70mm stem and feels ok.

    Should I be good with the Medium M6? I'm 5'10

    thanks for the input.

  3. #53
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Rios View Post
    So I/m 5'10 and I rode the M6 (during a demo) , Medium with a 65mm stem and felt good.
    The large was not available.

    I currently ride a Blur LT medium with a 70mm stem and feels ok.

    Should I be good with the Medium M6? I'm 5'10

    thanks for the input.
    I'm 5'10" as well (32" inseam) and honestly could have gone either way depending on what I was looking for.

    I demo'd a large at interbike and ended up getting a medium last week. The large felt just a little more stable but I had trouble moving around and behind the saddle. It seems like if you want a more all-around bike, go for the applicable size and if you want more of an enduro/super-d racer, you go up a size so it'll be more of a mini-DH bike like some of the other 6" 650b bikes.

    After putting 70 hard miles on it last weeek it didn't feel cramped at all, even though I put the 50mm stem and 740mm bars from my M5.7 on it.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    126
    I am 5'10" as well with a 30 inch inseam and demoed a large a couple of weeks ago. It felt really good but slightly less flickable than I had hoped. I am going to try a medium soon hopefully but I would certainly be happy with a large. The large was very stable at high speeds which was obviously nice.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Rios View Post
    So I/m 5'10 and I rode the M6 (during a demo) , Medium with a 65mm stem and felt good.
    The large was not available.

    I currently ride a Blur LT medium with a 70mm stem and feels ok.

    Should I be good with the Medium M6? I'm 5'10

    thanks for the input.
    You are in a good position because you could ride either size. If you are going with say a 50mm stem, then I would lean towards the large. I am also 5'10" and I think it fits me perfectly the 50. Also consider where you are going to run your seat. I am not a believer in the "KOPS" method of placing your seat. Keith Bontrager and others have debunked this having an effect on efficiency. However, the slack seat angle will make it harder to keep the front end weighted for a climb. You adjust to this pretty fast, but some don't like that aspect of the Mach 6. My seat is slid pretty far forward to compensate for this and since I have the large I had room to do so. I would have had to have the seat pretty far back on a medium.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    183
    I am also 5' 10" and could have gotten a large as I am also between the two sizes.

    My medium M6 came with the stock stem, which I think it is around 80mm. Looking down at the front hub, the handlebars are just behind it.

    Here in San Diego, you are often pedaling to the top of what you are about to go down, so from that perspective, having the stock stem I think offers a little more control over the fork for the ups, and certainly offers enough confidence for the downs because of the head tube angle and the longer travel, so the medium is fine. By comparison, I would say my M6 with the 80 mm stem feels about 1/3 lighter on the front end than my M429C with a 70mm stem (again because of head tube angle and more travel).

    If you are doing more DH stuff, a shorter stem will put your weight even further behind the fork which I would imagine would start to get annoying if you do a lot of climbing. If I was more of a park rider, I think I would have gone with the large and a shorter stem.

    Having the medium M6 allows me to use the bike in more of an XC setting where I need it, but also allows me to use the bike in a more downhill'ish mode if I need that also.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    117

    Mach 6 Frame size

    Wouldn't an extra 30 mm of top tube keep the front end weighted as much as 30 extra mm of stem? I would think so, but not 100% sure. The axis is the rear wheel, which is why a half an inch of chainstay length changes handling so much. I will take the easy manualling of short chain stays any day.

    I also have the option of running the seat further forward on the seatpost with the large, which will definitely aid in climbing.

    Most of the reviewers didn't like the long stock stem, but it's all a matter of preference.

  8. #58
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    976
    People need to stop worrying about the seat tube angle. It's actually steeper than a M5.7 and even the 429, and nobody complained about them.

    What's happened is that most of the other 6" bikes have steep angles because their suspension squats under power while the DW-link extends. They have to have steep seat tubes, Pivots don't...that's why all Pivots have slack seat tube angles.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    117

    Mach 6 Frame size

    It may be fine at average height, but I can see it would be an issue for someone running a very long seatpost. Because of the virtual seat tube angle, you could have a much slacker angle than what it's designed for.

  10. #60
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
    It may be fine at average height, but I can see it would be an issue for someone running a very long seatpost. Because of the virtual seat tube angle, you could have a much slacker angle than what it's designed for.
    The virtual ST angle is based on whatever they consider the average seat post extension for the applicable height for the frame...or somewhere around where people who buy the recommended size have theirs. Nobody is talking about going down a size, only up if you want a longer top tube.

    This is neither a Mach 6 or a Pivot "problem." They all have slack seat tubes and nobody spoke a word about it until someone reviewing the M6 looked at the website or brochure and said, "Hey, this is slack." They didn't say it didn't fit, put their weight too far back, couldn't climb, nothing. Now everybody acts like it'll flip over if you even look at a hill. The M6 was voted the most versatile in the MTBR trail bike review, FFS.

    I have a 50mm stem on my medium and it climbs steep sections just fine. It doesn't take much effort to get the front wheel up and over an obstacle, but it doesn't take any to keep it on the ground either.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    244

    Mach 6 Frame size

    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I am also 5' 10" and could have gotten a large as I am also between the two sizes.

    My medium M6 came with the stock stem, which I think it is around 80mm. Looking down at the front hub, the handlebars are just behind it.

    Here in San Diego, you are often pedaling to the top of what you are about to go down, so from that perspective, having the stock stem I think offers a little more control over the fork for the ups, and certainly offers enough confidence for the downs because of the head tube angle and the longer travel, so the medium is fine. By comparison, I would say my M6 with the 80 mm stem feels about 1/3 lighter on the front end than my M429C with a 70mm stem (again because of head tube angle and more travel).

    If you are doing more DH stuff, a shorter stem will put your weight even further behind the fork which I would imagine would start to get annoying if you do a lot of climbing. If I was more of a park rider, I think I would have gone with the large and a shorter stem.

    Having the medium M6 allows me to use the bike in more of an XC setting where I need it, but also allows me to use the bike in a more downhill'ish mode if I need that also.
    The above captures my thoughts/feelings on my Mach 6 vs my Tallboy as well. I'm just up the I15 freeway from him (Temecula), so I'm sure we ride similar type terrain.

    I'm 6'-0" and ride a Large Mach 6 with 70mm stem and 760mm bars. On my Large Tallboy I run a 80mm stem and 750mm bars. I feel both fit me perfectly.

  12. #62
    JordanMy
    Reputation: Jordan Wong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10
    For your reference, my height 168cm and ride on Medium M6 with RF Atlas 35mm stem. Enjoying the ride and love it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
  2. Pivot Mach 429 -- going down a frame size -- AM
    By DavidHarsay in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM
  3. Mach 4 and Mach 5.7 Frame Weights? (Alloy)
    By ccarbot in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 12:37 PM
  5. Frame Size: Mach 429
    By Hawg in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •