Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Mach 6 Frame size

Quote Originally Posted by DaMaDo View Post
    I wish I had one to sit on at least to test here, but I had to order mine sight unseen. I'm 5'8" and both the bike shop and pivot customer service recommended the small. We'll see. It should hopefully be here today or tomorrow.

From reading this, a medium with a 50mm stem might have been best. I think my legs are slightly shorter than they should be for my torso so who knows.
    Hmm, at 5'8" a Medium should be a better choice, especially if you are planning to run a 50mm stem.
    I am close to 5"9" and the Demo M felt just right.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'77 with M size and a 50 mm stem.
    It's perfect to me

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just got my small M6 and it initially seemed a bit too small until I got back on my medium Scott Spark 960 to compare.

All of a sudden the Scott seemed even smaller in comparison surprisingly. I know I've been fine on that bike so I think I'll keep the small M6. I won't do the shorter stem yet though.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" 33 pants inseam..long arms.

- large Mach 6
    - 65mm stem 5mm spacer
    - 740mm bars

Tried a 50mm stem and the bike was too cramped.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When seated on the bike and you have your arms, back, and neck straight and you look down, where is the front wheel hub in relation to the stem/handlbar intersection?

My whole hub is just in front of the handlebar. Not sure if that's right or wrong on an AM MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMaDo View Post
    When seated on the bike and you have your arms, back, and neck straight and you look down, where is the front wheel hub in relation to the stem/handlbar intersection?

My whole hub is just in front of the handlebar. Not sure if that's right or wrong on an AM MTB.
    My hub lines up with my bars when seated on my Mach 6.

On my Nomad my hub is way behind my bars [90mm stem] and I ride hard on the tech up and down.

I wouldn't get overly concerned about where the hub is relative to the bars.

You are going to do all your important riding in the attack position and what matters is where you COG is which is quite dependant on your body type.

You can move your COG around quite a bit in the attack position so there are a variety of stem/bar positions that can work for any person. It just comes down to what you prefer.

If your COG is further back you will have to move your body forward to get weight/traction on the front wheel in turns and on steep climbs, but you'll naturally be further behind the front wheel for steep downs/drops.

If your COG is further forward you will naturally be in a good position for turns and steep climbs, but you'll have to move further back behind the front wheel for steep downs/drops.

Stems are cheap so grab a couple options and try them out on your local trails to see what you like best.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks Vik, I appreciate that.

I took my M6 out yesterday and I felt like I could do a lot more on it than my medium sized Scott Spark. It felt a lot more flickable and controllable in tight turns. I think there's a lot more weight on the front with the small M6 than on my medium Scott Spark. I never knew what would happen in a turn with the Spark, but I had a much better grasp of turns just on my first ride on the M6 yesterday.

I also just ordered a KS i900-R dropper which has a 20mm setback so that will make a slight change when I'm sitting, although now I'm thinking I probably don't need it.

EDIT: I set the bike up with two bathroom scales, one under the center of each wheel and saw my weight distribution when sitting (33/66, front/rear) and in the attack position and it seems this is actually perfect. I am about 50/50 when in attack position and moving ever so slightly alters that reasonably well.
    Last edited by DaMaDo; 03-29-2014 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    I just attended a demo this morning at took out a medium. I'm 5'10" and did not feel cramped on it. The guy setting me up (5'11") rides a medium with a 60mm stem and wider than stock bar. The large was not available for me at. I'm currently riding a large Blur LTc with a 50mm stem and still feel a touch stretched out. I recently tried the Bronson in both medium and large and would need to go large. The Bronson felt like my BLTc but I think I like the Pivot better. I'll hit up the Sea Otter Classic and hopefully try the new Tracer carbon to see how that compares.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbay Bomber View Post
    I just attended a demo this morning at took out a medium. I'm 5'10" and did not feel cramped on it. The guy setting me up (5'11") rides a medium with a 60mm stem and wider than stock bar. The large was not available for me at. I'm currently riding a large Blur LTc with a 50mm stem and still feel a touch stretched out. I recently tried the Bronson in both medium and large and would need to go large. The Bronson felt like my BLTc but I think I like the Pivot better. I'll hit up the Sea Otter Classic and hopefully try the new Tracer carbon to see how that compares.
    The Bronson has a longer effective TT and reach than the same size M6. So if you need a large Bronson I don't see how you'd want a medium M6.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I don't know what to say other than it was a different set of trails this time. I didn't care for the feel of the Fox 34 last time but with the same pressure set this time around I thought it was fine.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'd be really curious to try a medium M6 just to see the difference. I went out again in mine today and I love the feel of it. I feel I can make it do what I want and recover from almost anything. I never got that feeling in my medium Scott Spark. I know there's more than just size making a difference, but still.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey all. I am set on getting a Mach 6 and in the same boat as the OP on sizing, just up one. I am 6'1", 33" inseam, and 200lbs. My LBS has an XL demo that I took out over the weekend, and it was pretty damn awesome, but I'm thinking I might enjoy a L frame better, and they don't have a large for me to demo.

When I first got the bike on the trail, it did feel a little big to me. My ride started out descending some steep technical rocky terrain, and I felt a little awkward at first (possibly because I am coming from a L Specialized SJ Evo 26"). Once I got to the climbing, the bike felt great, and after 30 min or so I was cleaning technical climbs that I had no chance at before. After an hour or so of climbing, it was fast technical rocky downhill and at this point i felt completely comfortable, and loved the performance of the bike. I was able to throw it around, and completely forgot about size. Actually I completely forgot about everything, until I hit the parking lot with a **** eating grin on my face.

So point being, I am thinking that by switching to a Large, I may be sacrificing some climbing capability for an increase in maneuverability and "snappiness" on my descents, is that true? Or will I just be making myself more uncomfortable for no noticeable gain? Or will a large climb as well with all the advantages? Also, I like to run a 50mm or less stem, which the XL demo had. The XL was amazing, but if I am spending $6,000+ on a new build, I want to make sure I am getting the best fit possible.

Anyone my size out there riding a Mach 6? What size? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyso View Post
    Hey all. I am set on getting a Mach 6 and in the same boat as the OP on sizing, just up one. I am 6'1", 33" inseam, and 200lbs. My LBS has an XL demo that I took out over the weekend, and it was pretty damn awesome, but I'm thinking I might enjoy a L frame better, and they don't have a large for me to demo.

When I first got the bike on the trail, it did feel a little big to me. My ride started out descending some steep technical rocky terrain, and I felt a little awkward at first. Once I got to the climbing, the bike felt great, and after 30 min or so I was cleaning technical climbs that I had no chance at before. After an hour or so of climbing, it was fast technical rocky downhill and at this point i felt completely comfortable, and loved the performance of the bike. I was able to throw it around, and completely forgot about size. Actually I completely forgot about everything, until I hit the parking lot with a **** eating grin on my face.

So point being, I am thinking that by switching to a Large, I may be sacrificing some climbing capability for an increase in maneuverability and "snappiness" on my descents, is that true? Or will I just be making myself more uncomfortable for no noticeable gain? Or will a large climb as well with all the advantages? Also, I like to run a 50mm or less stem, which the XL demo had. The XL was amazing, but if I am spending $6,000+ on a new build, I want to make sure I am getting the best fit possible.

Anyone my size out there riding a Mach 6? What size? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
    I'm 5'11" 33" pants inseam. Riding a L with a 65mm stem and 740mm bars. The bike fits well, but just. If I was any taller I would have to go for an XL.

I started out with a 50mm stem, but had to swap in a 65mm stem to get a bit more room.

I could ride an XL no problem, but would go for a 50mm stem.

I ride tight twisty forest trails which is why I went L. If I lived in the desert I'd be riding an XL.

You definitely give up on manoeuvrability as you increase wheel base.

I don't see the shorter wheelbase as a detriment to climbing.

Given that you want to run a 50mm stem I'd go with the XL - with of course all the usual YMMV cautions about fit advice from the internet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yeah, you should be careful about sizing, sure. I am 6' even and 33" inseam and I'm on a large. It's super comfortable and just right for me. I wouldn't think the 1" taller would make for an XL size.
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerock View Post
    yeah, you should be careful about sizing, sure. I am 6' even and 33" inseam and I'm on a large. It's super comfortable and just right for me. I wouldn't think the 1" taller would make for an XL size.
    What size stem are you using?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    an 80 stem
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerock View Post
    an 80 stem
    That's important info. Nylso is taller than you and wants to use a stem that's 30mm shorter or even shorter than that.

Every 25mm difference is like changing a frame size up or down.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

What size Mach 6

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm 5'11" 33" pants inseam. Riding a L with a 65mm stem and 740mm bars. The bike fits well, but just. If I was any taller I would have to go for an XL.

I started out with a 50mm stem, but had to swap in a 65mm stem to get a bit more room.

I could ride an XL no problem, but would go for a 50mm stem.

I ride tight twisty forest trails which is why I went L. If I lived in the desert I'd be riding an XL.

You definitely give up on manoeuvrability as you increase wheel base.

I don't see the shorter wheelbase as a detriment to climbing.

Given that you want to run a 50mm stem I'd go with the XL - with of course all the usual YMMV cautions about fit advice from the internet.
    I am 5:10,5, I had a medium 5,7 with 65mm stem with 740 bars, it was borderline climbing steep technical climbs, I was concerned about slack seat post angle On M6.....I tested a large and it was a lot of bike, I also then managed to test a medium. I went for the medium and it was 100% the correct decision. I run the same 65mm stem and it climbs better than the 5,7. The set up is awesome.....don't go big if you don't have to, the longer TT sorts out the cramped feeling I had on the 5,7 and the slack seat post angle compliments the bike, as the higher you lift your seat the further the reach is between bars and seat without compromising climbing ability.....it all just works, what an awesome bike 100% happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. Vic - I never really thought about stem lengths in that way, but it makes sense. I also see sa68's point about a slack SA, with seat all the way up for climbing. I've been stalking around the Pivot forums for a while, and read all the talk about the slack SA, but it never really clicked till just now! Thanks!

I just found out the Pivot demo crew is going to be in town this Sunday, so I should get my chance to ride a large! I'll report back with my observations, and thoughts.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. Vic - I never really thought about stem lengths in that way, but it makes sense. I also see sa68's point about a slack SA, with seat all the way up for climbing. I've been stalking around the Pivot forums for a while, and read all the talk about the slack SA, but it never really clicked till just now! Thanks!

I just found out the Pivot demo crew is going to be in town this Sunday, so I should get my chance to ride a large! I'll report back with my observations, and thoughts.
    A demo?...sweet that will answer a lot of questions - especially if they have a full size range for you to try out...

Don't let the slack STA hypothesizing by folks who haven't spent a decent amount of time on the bike influence you. I'm climbing at a whole new level on the Mach 6 on techy terrain and the slack STA feels just great when pedalling the flats.

Just a thought - if you want to try a short stem maybe bring one with you to the demo. I'm not sure what size is stock on the M6, but I want to say it's on the longer side.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A demo?...sweet that will answer a lot of questions - especially if they have a full size range for you to try out...

Don't let the slack STA hypothesizing by folks who haven't spent a decent amount of time on the bike influence you. I'm climbing at a whole new level on the Mach 6 on techy terrain and the slack STA feels just great when pedalling the flats.

Just a thought - if you want to try a short stem maybe bring one with you to the demo. I'm not sure what size is stock on the M6, but I want to say it's on the longer side.
    Great idea, pretty sure the stock build comes with an 80mm. I'll pull my 50mm off my current bike. Hopefully they'll be okay with that.

I have no problems with the slack STA, and I agree with:
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    The Mach 6 (like most Pivots) has a pretty slack seat tube angle, effectively decreasing reach for a given top tube length. I haven't heard the rationale for this from Pivot, but I suspect it is attributable at least in part to the inherent antisquat nature of the DW Link suspension.

Designs like the Kona and Knolly will sink into their travel more when climbing, and a steep seat tube angle helps keep the riders weight from sliding too far back. The Pivot will ride higher in its travel, allowing the front to be more easily weighted under these circumstances.

I happen to like Pivot's approach, as a) it allows for a shorter wheelbase (long reach/short stems are nice to a point, but eventually the wheelbase can become unwieldy) b) it allows for zero offset seat posts without putting the rider in a TT position at full extension.
    I see now that with a slack seat tube, you gain reach as the seat is raised for climbing. When the seat is all the way down, the cockpit may very well be too small for me, but who cares? If I have the seat all the way down, I am in downhill mode and don't sit at all anyways - if anything, it will get the seat more out of the way for me to get behind it when I need to be. Then with the touch of a button (modern dropper posts are amazing, and such an asset to enduro style riding) I pop the seat up, and not only put my legs in climbing position, but with the slack STA, increase reach and put my whole body back in a better seated riding position. At least I think that is the logic behind it, and it seems to make sense.

Either way, I loved the XL, so if the L feels cramped, I am perfectly happy going with the XL. Just wanted to see if I can get a bit more out of a Large frame, and I am happy I get to give the Large a real demo ride now before deciding!

Now... Next big decision... a 1x or 2x drive train... Hmmmm... Different thread.

mtbr member

Re: Mach 6 Frame size

Great idea, pretty sure the stock build comes with an 80mm. I'll pull my 50mm off my current bike. Hopefully they'll be okay with that.

I have no problems with the slack STA, and I agree with:

I see now that with a slack seat tube, you gain reach as the seat is raised for climbing. When the seat is all the way down, the cockpit may very well be too small for me, but who cares? If I have the seat all the way down, I am in downhill mode and don't sit at all anyways - if anything, it will get the seat more out of the way for me to get behind it when I need to be. Then with the touch of a button (modern dropper posts are amazing, and such an asset to enduro style riding) I pop the seat up, and not only put my legs in climbing position, but with the slack STA, increase reach and put my whole body back in a better seated riding position. At least I think that is the logic behind it, and it seems to make sense.

Either way, I loved the XL, so if the L feels cramped, I am perfectly happy going with the XL. Just wanted to see if I can get a bit more out of a Large frame, and I am happy I get to give the Large a real demo ride now before deciding!

Now... Next big decision... a 1x or 2x drive train... Hmmmm... Different thread.
    Reach doesn't change based on the saddle height. Reach is a constant measurement.
    Google reach and stack...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Reach doesn't change based on the saddle height. Reach is a constant measurement.
    Google reach and stack...
    You are right. What is the correct term for the distance from saddle position to head tube? Or is there one? I guess that's the measurement I have been mistakenly calling reach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Going with the XL frame. It felt more comfortable and natural.

mtbr member
    XL makes sense. The M6 is a little bit of new school (66 HA/16.9 CS) and a little bit of old school (short reach) and a whole lotta Rock and Roll!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast