mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mach 6 bearing kits....

Anybody have any advice on where to get a bearing kit for the Mach 6? I can't find them for sale on Pivot's website. I then found a place in the UK that sells them for $117 US but there are out of stock. The only other place I've found them so far are at a place called RWC (Real World Cycling). I've never heard of them but their bearing kit is only $59 and have no idea if it's a killer deal or lesser quality.

Obviously, I'll call Pivot tomorrow as well since I don't have a dealer within 30-35 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just repack the bearings with grease. Simple, did mine after a year of riding. Use a razor blade to gently pry off the dust seal and repack. Pretty sure your bearings are still good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    RWC bearing kit for Mach 6 worked great. Bearings are identical to original set so no issue there. Get your hands on a bearing tool and do the removal and install yourself.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    RWC is a good company. I get the lots of their stuff shipped to Canada at relatively low cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and ordered a set from RWC.

Stoker, the mechanic that I have work on my bikes said mine were pretty much shot. No surprise after 18 months. Admittedly, I'm one of those guys that wash their bike too often and uses too much water. Sigh...

mtbr member
    Though well-intentioned, your mechanic is probably wrong. Ball bearings in bike frames barely need to move, and only in a reciprocating fashion. When the grease gets washed out, or they are dirty, they feel horrible, but clean them up, and regrease, and they can last for several more years. If you were using them in an electric motor - sure, you would replace them when they feel that rough. I would even argue that the stress of pressing bearngs in and out of a frame is not worth the risk of damaging the frame. Clean and regrease now. The worst that can happen is that you need to use that set you just ordered after all. I'm betting you won't.

Dirty South Underdog
    Your shop can order replacement bearings through their distributors. Click on "tech specs" and look at the torque spec PDF for any of their bikes to find out what bearings you need. Bearings aren't all that expensive and they aren't hard to replace if you have the proper tools, so there's no reason to half-ass it and try to re-pack them.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/wp-conten...hematic-V2.pdf
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    FWIW....the mechanic that suggested I replace the bearings was unavailable to do the install since he was too busy with his real job (suspension mechanic for a Pro Motocross team, Orange in color). I ended up taking the bike to a very respected shop, per online reviews as I had never heard of them, and they concurred that the bearings were toast and needed replaced.

For those that may need them, I bought them from an after-market company on ebay for $60 which is a ton less than Pivot wanted.