mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mach 5 suspension decisions

Hi Guys,

I have been a lurker on this site for a couple of years and hope to get some help. I have a 2009 Mach 5 with a 2009 Talas 100\120\140 on the front and a older large volume rp23 on the back. I have had the bike for awhile now and love it for the local Brisbane trails but always felt a little high in the saddle (common feedback, i wish I could afford a 5.7). I cant afford a new bike so thought it is about time to invest in a couple of upgrades.

To get a better overall feel on the bike I am trying to decide if I should

a. Get a shorter Monarch RT3 or Fox RP23 as excellently outlined here and leave the current talas

B. leave the current rp23 and invest in a new fox float 32 150 fit CTD with a Cane Creek 40 TR44/40 lower headset cup to handle the tapered steerer tube. Or even a Talas 120/150

C. Both of the above modifications although I have no idea what that would do to the bottom bracket height or head angle, maybe the talas 120/150 would be the better option if I went this way.

Does anyone have any feedback on the above configurations? The trails here are all hard sand that are flowy without any massive drops (no bigger then 4ft) or rocky climbs\descents. I would just like to feel a bit more "in" the bike on something that can handle climbs well and rail on the downs.

Thanks for any help in advance.

mtbr member
    sending your RP23 to PUSH for a custom rebuild (plush setting) is a good upgrade for the M5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply fishercat - I actually spoke to my local suspension tech and he was super helpful. He suggested trying some offset bushings to lower the BB height as well as a custom tune. I am going in on Tuesday to see him.

Once I dial in the rear shock I will look to upgrade the old talas to either a 140 or 150mm float.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK I have replaced the front and rear eyelet with burgtec offset bushings and a full shock service.
    Early days but immediately I am impressed with the diference it has made to the comfort of my mach 5, I now feel less tippy and within the bike rather then on it which is exactly what I was chasing.

The BB height is now measuring at approx 340mm from 350 (rough measurements) and supposedly I gain a degree on the head angle (not sure how to measure this to confirm)
    The service was long overdue and I am happy to report the bike feels zippy off the mark and plush on the bumps once again.

Overall very happy with the result - Now time to start considering what I do to the front with my old 09 Talas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Interesting mod, I am looking at possibly buying a Santa Cruz Solo and might do the bushing mod to my Mach 5 to give it some more life and make it less Cross Country as it is set up that way at present. Was thinking of putting some 150mm thru axle forks on it to slacken it a bit more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Vinno - The bushings have definitely had that effect, so surprised what a minor cost effective change has made. It has definitely put some spark back into the old rig

Yeah I am now stuck on choosing the best fork to run. I am worried if I go to a 150 it will slacken the head angle to much but really like the idea of a new 150mm pike on it.

Bike upgrades are a worrying addiction :-)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't put a 150mm fork on It
    learn from my mistake, I put a 150mm rod in my talas and quickly changed it back
    it completely ruined the handling.
    May be send your Talas to Push for some love.
    I still have the 150mm rod in the shed if you really want to try it.
    If you want less tippy, try handle bar set up, I went from a 100mm stem and 640mm bar to a 80mm stem and 700mm bar, it worked well.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Not trying to contradict Dean but offering another opinion. I'm one of the guys who short-shocked the Mach 5 to change the geo by slackening the HTA and lowering the BB. Keep in mind that the medium M5 I have has a pretty short headtube (100mm as opposed to many other bikes in sz M with roughly equivalent TTT's lengths), Also the M5 has a fairly low stack headset height - all of this lends itself to a low riding position.

I deliberately kept an older Fox 36 Talas RC2 which goes 100-130-160 travel. Longest travel for descending. Mid-travel for uppy-downy trails. Shortest travel for climbing very steep trails. It works fine for my use given where I ride and for what I use it ie basically a light freeride bike
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Not trying to contradict Dean but offering another opinion. I'm one of the guys who short-shocked the Mach 5 to change the geo by slackening the HTA and lowering the BB. Keep in mind that the medium M5 I have has a pretty short headtube (100mm as opposed to many other bikes in sz M with roughly equivalent TTT's lengths), Also the M5 has a fairly low stack headset height - all of this lends itself to a low riding position.

I deliberately kept an older Fox 36 Talas RC2 which goes 100-130-160 travel. Longest travel for descending. Mid-travel for uppy-downy trails. Shortest travel for climbing very steep trails. It works fine for my use given where I ride and for what I use it ie basically a light freeride bike
    I've ridden LeeL's modified Mach 5 and can attest that it is an amazing tranformation over stock. I rode a Mach 5 at I-bike when they first came out and hated it for all the reasons listed above, but this modified version bears little resemblance to the original. It was a fairly plush, low, slackish (for what it is) trail ripper. I didn't miss the extra 1/2" of travel. (I should note that the other reason I like Lee's better is because it's a medium and the one I rode was a large. It just seemed to fit me better, even though I usually ride a large)

Just a note on rear travel: I'm much more impressed with quality of rear travel than quantity. Travel from 120-150mm doesn't feel that different to me if the quality is good. In fact I still have a 2002 Hammerhead 100x with 3.8" of travel with Pushed AVA Fox RP3 shock that feels very good for most normal trails.

mtbr member
    I also like the 150mm RS Revelation fork I have on my M5. I had it changed from 140 to 150 and have no regrets. I like the extra bit of travel for the descents. I cant really comment on the BB height. I tend to like a higher BB as I have always ridden high BB bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks to everyone for their input - always good to get a wide range of feedback.
    LeeL how much did you shorten your shock by? I am confident the 150 mm will be the way to go just need to decide if I should go Talas so I can shorten the length when climbing or just get a 150mm (pike).

Good point on the head height I made the rookie mistake of cutting my steerer tube too short when I first got the bike.

Do shops generally have demo forks you can try out?

Dean A thanks for the offer but I am in Brisbane Australia so borrowing the rod would be off the cards.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Believe its mentioned in the thread you linked., I put a 7.5 x2.5 RP23 on the bike. My point about the short headtube is that is too short by most bikes' standards. Note that the Mach 5.7 in the same medium size has a 120mm head tube for example. Pivot went overboard with the short headtube fashion craze IMO with the Mach 6. Therefore the Fox 36 taller axle to crown corrects the mistake Pivot made.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    It works fine for my use given where I ride and for what I use it ie basically a light freeride bike
    so, if I may hijack a little here... any advice on how to get the same feel for the M6? I am thinking more of a light free ride feel vs trail feel? I rode one of the demos. It had a 50mm stem and 150mm fork... it seemed like the ultimate trail bike to me... But I kinda want more that light free ride geometry feel if that makes sense...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Won't be on the M6 for a bit so can't really add any meaningful input for now. Sorry

mtbr member
    where do you get these offset bushings to short shock the M5 ? I might like to try it on my small frame...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I got mine from my LBS in Aus, they are Burgtec and I am sure you can pick them up online somewhere.

Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

mtbr member
    I like the idea of the bushings. Can you tell me which bushings you purchased? They have a bunch of different sizes.

I pretty much use my Mach 5 for park/shuttle riding now...and want to slacken the front end a bit.

I also thought about putting a 650b wheel in the front. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5