mtbr member

Mach 5 Stans Crest vs Arch

I am a 125lb rider on a 2010 M5. I would like to have a custom wheel set built and am wondering if I should go with Crest or Arch EX. People at Stans have recommended the Crest, however I am concerned with flexibility even at my weight. Will be going with Hope hubs. I'd love a little feedback from pivot riders. I ride technical XC one the east coast. Lots of rocks and roots. Thanks !

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Mach 5 is a real deal trail bike. Crest is an XC rim. Arch is an XC/Trail rim. Flows (Trail/AM/DH) are what I use on my bike they are Trail. The width of the rim shouldn't be determined as much by rider weight as much as it is by function. What do you plan to do with the bike? If you're planning on hucking and chucking then a wider rim profile will suite you better. I personally ride the widest rim possible because it provides better stability through rocks and roots and a nice cushion when landing. Putting Crests on the Mach 5 is like putting ballerina slippers on a pitbull. It may fit, but is it the right one?

mtbr member
    good point Lemonaid. I am leaning towards the arch ex wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ride a Mach 5 and pretty aggressive all mtn rider. I've had a set of both Crest and Arch EX and both did not last very long for me. Currently I'm riding WTB I23 with DT Swiss 240 hubs and they are AWESOME. So stiff and wider than the Arch EX.

mtbr member
    I ride a Firebird with Arch EX and they have last very well.
    Riding all the time very technical trails, full of rocks and roots. Not so big jumps and drops.
    But wider the rim is, I think it suits better for big tires (2.3 and wider), especially tubeless

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Mach 5 and ride a Stans Crest Wheelset for XC racing only. They are no problems for that but I would not like to use them for anything aggressive, they do seem pretty flexy. I'm about 175 pounds so close to the weight limit for the wheels.

I have a Shimano XT set for normal riding.

mtbr member
    i wonder why the stans guys are recommending the crests for me. i think i will order the arch ex's with hope hubs. i currently have a set of easton ea90xc's which are probably pretty similar to the crests, although they are narrow at 19mm. now i just have to find the right price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
    i wonder why the stans guys are recommending the crests for me. i think i will order the arch ex's with hope hubs. i currently have a set of easton ea90xc's which are probably pretty similar to the crests, although they are narrow at 19mm. now i just have to find the right price.
    Probably looking at your weight and not what sort of riding you do.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    Probably looking at your weight and not what sort of riding you do.
    Going by "lighter is better" rule of biking. Not always the best choice however.

mtbr member
    well thanks for all the feedback, the choice is clear :-)