mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Mach 5 possibilities

Proud new owner of a used 2010 mach 5. Loving it so far. I've had a 2008 titus racer x carbon and a 2009 titus el guapo. This bike seems is right in between my previous bikes and is perfct for the trails in my backyard. Really happy with my purchase and will be on this rig for quite some time. Has anyone put on a cane creek double barrell or dhx on this platform? I'm currently running a 150 up front and toying with the idea of changing out the rear shock. I just read Krob's mtbr review on visit to British Columbia and he mentions a mach 5 with 160 up front and a shorter stroked rear shock to bring down the bottom bracket. What do you guys think? KRob visits British Columbia And Whistler Bike Park | Mountain Bike Review | Page 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5 possibilities-pivot-mach-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've only run my Mach with a 150mm fork, so I can't help you with the 160mm travel info.

I do have an old Giant Anthem that I run a 130mm fork on with 90mm rear travel and it doesn't take long for the front to rear balance to feel way off. As soon as things get a bit rough at speed the rear simply cannot keep up with the front suspension. I'd suspect a similar thing would happen with a short stroke rear shock on the M5 and a 160mm fork.

As for the rear shock, I found replacing the standard Fox reducers with RWC bearings made a small, but noticeable difference to the rear shock sensitivity. I ride a Firebird with the CCDB coil and having both bikes I don't want the M5 to feel the same. The Firebird is definitely slower and I run more sag with the CCDB, where the M5 feels much snappier when you go for hard accelerations. It makes sense for the uses the bikes are designed for anyway I think. The M5 is a lot more XC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the input. Makes sense. I've looked into those bearings before and are pricey. However I am looking into a set up that wuld soak up some of the chatter on the m5. That's why I was thinking of a newer style shock. The m5 is def a long legged xc bike.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That's my bike he borrowed. I posted about short-shocking the Mach 5 in a thread on this forum. It makes the bike ride a lot better. Search for the thread and its discussed. The bike still looks ugly as all hell but it rides well.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Has anyone put on a cane creek double barrell or dhx on this platform? I just read Krob's mtbr review on visit to British Columbia and he mentions a mach 5 with 160 up front and a shorter stroked rear shock to bring down the bottom bracket. What do you guys think?
    Would a coil shock even fit? The HV can on the RP23 barely squeezes in there. I'm guessing a coil shock would bottom pretty easily as well, so you're probably better sticking with air.

I put a shorter shock (7.5x2") on my M5 over a year and a half ago, and won't go back to stock. With a 140mm fork and the lower BB, the bike just flat-out handles a lot nicer. A 160mm fork seems way too long to me, but obviously works for others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Interesting write up Coolhandluchs. Good to know that there are options. I do agree with the front end wandering a little. I'm also running an external bottom headset with a 150. I'm sure that slackens it out quite a bit. I'm 170 geared up and running 135 psi. The bike rides great and am able to dh with confidence. A lower bottom bracket would sit me upright a little bit more in the cockpit. I was on a 2009 el guapo and that cockpit was awesome. Thanks for the info. I might pm you to get more info if I decide to try this out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    PM Sent Fellas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Big Thanks to Coolhand... He's onto something with the short shock set up. I was able to find a used rp23 float that was pushed for a 2011 Turner 5 spot. I gave it a go since the tuning was for a DW link bike. I'm still dialing in the shock with air pressure, but I immediately noticed the difference in the cockpit. The cockpit felt really good and comfortable. I didn't feel like I was riding so high and so stretched out. I also changed my stem to a 70mm 6 deg rise also. After my ride today, The bike felt really glued to the ground and the back end was tracking beautifully. I didn't have that fish tale sensation. The best way I can describe the new set up is I felt more "In the Bike" rather than "On Top of Bike". Again, I need more rides with different air pressure cause I didn't get full travel. I'll report back in after a few more rides.