mtbr member

Mach 5 owners - what is your RP 23 rebound setting...?

I have only had my 2010 Mach 5 for a few weeks and I am still trying to get it dialed in. It has a RP23 shock with Boost Valve.

I have my sag set at 30% which is recommended by Pivot. This feels really good, no problems here.

I had been running the fastest rebound (all the way CCW), or one click in (I weight 160 lbs)as per Pivots' instructions on their website:

http://www.pivotcycles.com/tech.php?content=suspension

This setting seems too fast to me - almost like I am getting bucked off the bike on the fast, rocky downhills. I am going to experiment with slowing down the rebound and I am just wondering what sort of rebound settings you guys are using.

FWIW, I do not use Pro Pedal.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Ha! Good to see you here too! I went with the recommended setting of 2 clicks in (not 1 click) from full out for a Mach 5, and it is just dandy. I weigh 175lb without gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have been running 2 clicks out from the fastest rebound and it seems dialed. I weigh 200 including gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    150lb rider on a Mach 4, 30% sag & 2 clicks from fastest rebound feels the best to me.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rebound tune is something that you can tune to your liking (within reason of course). If you feel that it's too fast for you, slow it down and see how you like it!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

My other ride is your mom
    I'm generally at 2 clicks from the fastest on my Mach5 w/ 30% sag. I weigh 153-ish with gear on average. But i fiddle with it....for all day rides when I'm loaded down I might stick with 2 clicks in from fastest....but on short (1-hr) after work rides around the local shred (with minimal gear and water), I've generally run 3 clicks....call me a micro manager.

mtbr member
    dw - or anybody else...

I am a total novice when it comes to suspensions, so please have a bit a paitience with me.

As per the Pivot website:

"In general, rebound should be turned all the way out (fastest rebound) and dialed back in 1-3 clicks depending on rider weight. A sub 145lb rider is full out (fastest setting) where a 200lb rider would be 3 clicks in."

The RP23 shock that comes with the Pivot is custom tuned by Fox to have L (low) velocity and XL (extra low) rebound. How does this setting interact with the rebound setting (red knob) on the shock that we are able to manually adjust? Why would the factory tune be extra low and then the recommendation for the manual setting be at the fastest end?

Also, it seems to me that a heavier rider would require a faster rebound than a lighter rider, but again this is opposite of what Pivot recommends.

Obviously, I am not looking at this the right way. Can anyone help out a newbie?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    dw - or anybody else...

I am a total novice when it comes to suspensions, so please have a bit a paitience with me.

As per the Pivot website:

"In general, rebound should be turned all the way out (fastest rebound) and dialed back in 1-3 clicks depending on rider weight. A sub 145lb rider is full out (fastest setting) where a 200lb rider would be 3 clicks in."

The RP23 shock that comes with the Pivot is custom tuned by Fox to have L (low) velocity and XL (extra low) rebound. How does this setting interact with the rebound setting (red knob) on the shock that we are able to manually adjust? Why would the factory tune be extra low and then the recommendation for the manual setting be at the fastest end?

Also, it seems to me that a heavier rider would require a faster rebound than a lighter rider, but again this is opposite of what Pivot recommends.

Obviously, I am not looking at this the right way. Can anyone help out a newbie?
    When a heavier rider compresses an air shock, the pressure inside the air can is higher than for a lighter rider. This means that more damping is needed to control how fast the shock rebounds back to its normal sagged position.