mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Mach 5 - how hard to push it safely - AM/Downhill?

Now that I'm sort of opening up into what a full susp bike can do I'm wondering what the limits on a Mach 5 are.

I realize that the Firebird is for AM / Downhill kind of stuff, but the Mach 5 is what I have and most of what I do is Trail and the Mach 5 is certainly perfect for 90% of what I do.

Okay, but I am now doing trails like Braille in Northern California Soquel-Demo which offers repeated 3 foot drops, some 4s and tons of, well, what certainly seems like downhill to me, AM at the very least.

I had the o-ring on the rear shock come off the back once, but otherwise it was usually about 1 - 3 mm from the end.

Is the Mach 5 up for, lets say, 10 3-foot drops and overall downhilling once a month?

Where would you not use it? Repeated 4 foot drops?

I do have Minion 2.5 inch tires which certainly helps in these conditions. Its funny in the same week going from RaceKings to 2.5 inch Maxxis downhill tires.

What happens when the o-ring comes off? Does bottoming the shock hurt it? Is it meant to be bottomed, or is the idea only to get the o ring onto the last mm? I know push has a nice elastomer you can put in for final big drop capability.

mtbr member
    I've ridden Braille (on my Firebird) and you should have no problem with that type of trail on your Mach 5.

banned
    It has a 135mm rear axle. That is made first to keep a bike light and nimble. Keep in mind you are ony going to be able to hang-it-out so much with a QR wheel. Otherwise you have yourself a very, very aggresive trail bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a 150 Talas front shock with 15qr and the DT thru-bolt rear thingy with Tricon 1550 wheels, so no quick releases here!

It makes the bike extremely versatile, amazing... I can put on road tires, and 2.5s fit really well... (21 mm internal width on the Tricons)

mtbr member
    Currently, my Mach 5 is my one "do it all" bike. I have two sets of wheels for it - one for my XC and endurance races and one for my more aggressive riding, which includes the lifts at Big Bear and Mammoth. I have a 150 mm Revelation Team U-Turn and adjust it accordingly.

The bike does not shine at the extremes, but it does fine. It does excel on anything in the middle - from normal trail riding to Super D races.

I am considering switching out to two bikes - an XC racer (new Mach 4 or Blur XC) and a 6" All-Mountain bike (Firebird or Chilcotin), but I cannot get myself to leave my Mach 5 and certainly cannot justify having 3 bikes.

The Mach 5 handles 3 to 4 foot drops no problem. I have mine set up with 30% sag and only on the biggest hits do I drop the ring off the bottom of the shock. As long as you are not bottoming out hard, I do not think that it is a problem using the entire travel.

I used to get nearly all of the travel on my Revelation, but I recently had it serviced and I am only getting about 90% on the big hits now even though I am running the same settings and sag. Maybe there is a bit too much oil?

Overall, I have been very happy with the bike. It sometimes has a bit of an XC bias, but I can live with that since it is such an efficient bike. I demoed a ton of bikes before I bought my Mach 5 and tested them all on the same 10 mile singletrack loop that I ride all the time, which includes well over 1,000 ft of climing and some 3 foot drops and everything else in-between. The bottom line was was that the Mach 5 was faster (for me) than any other bike that I demoed- 5 Spot, Mojo SL, Tracer, Blur LT and Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    If you are running the suggested sag with the stock shock and have only knocked the o-ring off once... you are gonna be fine man.

Remember, Lopes was setting record runs with his 140mm travel Mojo on A-line.....
    "It looks flexy"

Newt Guy
    Is the Mach 5 up for, lets say, 10 3-foot drops and overall downhilling once a month?
    That can't be a real question...

Ride the bike until something breaks. When that happens, you will know what the bike can take and can't take with you riding it.

As far as 3 foot drops go? My Schwinn 10 speed from the mid 80's can handle 3 foot drops all day long. I don't see why the Mach 5 wouldn't. It's 3 feet.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, for a 22 yr xc-only guy, 3 feet took a bit of nerve to do the first time. If you are ever in the SF area give Braille a run, its amazing. If you brake something, give us a post. I mean bones, not bike parts .

I went from a hardtail last year to a 2010 Mach 5, so that is quite a change.
    Last edited by LightMiner; 02-12-2011 at 12:11 AM.

banned
    12x150mm is the biggest axle a frame is built for & 12x135mm is more stout, much better than the std. 135mm axle. Either/or once you start putting your bike through the paces seat your axles before rides as a routine.
    If you are wondering if you should change and get a full-face helmet to ride a chair-lift with the bike -- I'd be conservative and tell you not to take it to a DH park. If you have trail that flows like DH runs, go for it!

As the bike weighs 26lbs as is, it is light.
    As my Iron Horse 6POINT weighs 37.74lbs, I am jealous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LightMiner
    I have a 150 Talas front shock with 15qr and the DT thru-bolt rear thingy with Tricon 1550 wheels, so no quick releases here!

It makes the bike extremely versatile, amazing... I can put on road tires, and 2.5s fit really well... (21 mm internal width on the Tricons)
    I have the same setup and have ridden all the trails in the Demo Forest. Your bike will handle it all day long with no problems.
    Because, one is never enough.