mtbr member

Mach 5 fork choice question

all i need to finish building my Mach 5 are wheels and a fork. i can buy a new 2009 Fox Float 32 RLC for $625 or a new 2008 TALAS 32 for $375. granted i wouldnt be using the adjustable travel on the TALAS but its over 200 smackers cheaper. can anyone give me a good reason why I should get the Float over the cheaper TALAS? thanks in advance.

Ride and Smile suckas
    I have the 2008 32 Talas on my Mach 5 and I have never needed anything more. I have only used the travel adjustment once and while it was on a climb I really didnt even need it because I have done that (LONG) climb without it since. I have not tried the 15mm yet, except for a short ride around a parking lot on a demo bike.
    I would say put the extra $250 ino a set of sweet CrossMax or I9 wheels, something that WILL make a difference!
    Please post pictures when you are finished!
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I never messed with the travel adjustment on my Talas. I live in OH and the climbs aren't that tough.

The Float !5mm is pretty sweet but my leaked only after 250 miles. Fox says that's normal. Push says no way and put new seals in for me.

ED

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would say get the FLOAT. But that is mainly because I have a set of 15QR wheels for sale that are in the classifieds...lol.

I like the Float on my Mach 5, but I haven't ever used a Talas, but from what I have read, if you don't plan on using the adjustment, I wouldn't add the extra failure point of having it (the travel adjustment). Of course, you could probably have the Talas rebuilt several times for $200...
    - Jason

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies. i should have it all built in 3 weeks and will definitely post some pics. i am getting I9 wheels.... cant wait!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You'll be really surprised with the I9 wheels, and their engagement. They are awesome, and stiff as heck. The freewheel sounds loud when it is in the stand, but I can't hear it at all while riding. They are quieter than the DT Swiss wheels were that came with the bike...
    - Jason

mtbr member
    My vote for the perfect Mach 5 fork is a .......Van 36.

160mm balences the rear nicely and it is the shortest axil to crown of the 160 forks on the market. so it slacks out the geometry into, what I find, to be a sweet spot for the bike. the 2009 model is only 5.12 lbs. which is quite svelt for the burly factor of the fork.
    b

mtbr member
    well after all this i purchased a 2009 Vanilla... i liked the fact that it was set and go and with the 15% off coupon at universalcycles.com it was inexpensive. its almost a 1/2lb heavier but the rest of my build is pretty light. next week i will get the I9 enduros and have it ready to go. pics to come.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's about time, lol. I think you spent more time looking/choosing/buying than I did!
    - Jason

mtbr member
    in the midst of this build i got deployed to Iraq for 120 days. i'm actually still in baghdad but should be back in the states in 7 days! i'll wait until i get home to get my wheels but i have everything else and just need it built up. cant wait. iraq has to be one of the absolute worst mountain biking areas of the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ah, think I remember you saying that at one point, I forgot. Thanks for taking the time to go serve! Glad you will be able to be back, and enjoy some mountain biking.
    - Jason