Thread: Mach 5.7 sizing

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

I am 5'8" with 30" inseam. Visited LBS who only had large Mach 5.7 and Mach 4

The owner said they were both his / demo bikes. He was 5'10" and claimed he liked a long top tube. I sat on the 5.7 and it was way too big.

I presently ride. Trek Fuel 16.5" with 60mm stem and find it fine. The Pivot website suggests small is the way to go. Anyone any thoughts?
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm 5'9'' and ride a medium with a short 50mm stem. The medium run big.
    I would say small.

mtbr member
    Im 5'10 and I ride a Medium. What type of rider are you?
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

For days / weekend out mainly riding natural trails in the Scottish mountains. Fairly technical rocky descents. Mostly singletrack with some fire road climbs.

My local trails are rooty and technical but not so steep. Previously had two bikes but these stolen so can only afford one for everything at present.
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not sure if the Carbon is different in sizing but I am 5'5" with a 28 inseam and ride a small with 55mm stem. at 5'8" my guess is you are inbetween sizes as I was. Either a small with a stretched out stem if you like a tighter cockpit or a medium with a smaller stem. IMO you would be better off with the medium at your size, and have room to play around with stem and seat length then you would on a small.

mtbr member
    I am the same size as you (5'8" with 30" inseam). Either small or medium could work. I went with a medium with a 60mm stem, but a small with a longer stem probably would have worked OK too. I like the longer wheelbase of the medium, and like a short stem anyway, so it works for me.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    We suggest the small for your height. But keep in mind, these are just suggestions. If you have long arms, and long torso you may like the medium. I've always followed the simple rule, that you an make a small bike fit easier than you can make a bigger bike fit. I would suggest the small for your height.
    Daniel
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

Many thanks man

I have shirt upper body so was tending toward a small anyway. Might also manage to keep my large son off it too!
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 178cm (5'8) and 31" inseam and ride a 5.7 medium for the last 2 years in mainly Swiss Alps. If you want to use a dropper seat post you will need a medium size. And this bike deserves a dropper!!!
    With a large frame you need to put the saddle almost all the way down for a normal riding position and this leaves no room to drop it when pointing DH.
    With a medium frame the seat is about 120-150mm out of the frame in a normal position and this leaves a perfect 120mm to drop the seat post for DH or 50-70mm for singletrail.
    Get the medium with a dropper seat post and you will be having a lot of fun.

Donal

mtbr member
    Donal,

178cm isn't 5'8".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quite right. 5.8 feet or 5ft 10inches. Sorry, but we left the imperial system in 1835. It's hard to go back there sometimes

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Was getting a bit worried as heading for a Small frame
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride a small with an 80mm stem & 740mm wide bars. A medium is too large for my personal preference.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow, I'm a normal (legs, torso) 5'8" and I just bought a new medium 5.7... you all have me worried. We're still covered in snow up here so I haven't had it fitted/sized for me yet at the LBS - hope it will work for me (maybe need to use a shorter stem than the stock ??mm it came with).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    Wow, I'm a normal (legs, torso) 5'8" and I just bought a new medium 5.7... you all have me worried. We're still covered in snow up here so I haven't had it fitted/sized for me yet at the LBS - hope it will work for me (maybe need to use a shorter stem than the stock ??mm it came with).
    5.7 alu came w 90mm stem. Way too long, I tried 70 and finally 50mm. And I change for a larger handlebar: Havoc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snoroqc View Post
    5.7 alu came w 90mm stem. Way too long, I tried 70 and finally 50mm. And I change for a larger handlebar: Havoc.
    You're one inch taller, so even going with a 50mm instead of 90mm stem has me worried the medium is too big (although I think the small was too small).

I remember when riding both sizes I was thinking I was between them, neither was perfect... but hoping I could adjust (with components, fixes) the medium to make it right.

Most all my riding is trail riding (all mountain?) on single tracks in the Rockies, some lapping with lifts at the resort some more XC type long rides up and down, and most all my riding friends are on XC bikes (and most of those 29ers) - if that info helps someone comment on my sizing.

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

Had a test ride to put this argument to bed. Small it is
    Frame should be here in the next couple of days.
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What did you like better about the small? Again, I'm the same 5'8" with 30" inseam and I liked riding the medium better, although it wasn't perfect on the test ride, and with it still winter here I have yet to get my new one (medium purchased) sized (some type of Boulder laser sizing process a LBS here does)... so I'm curious to hear more of your comments.

I do think I'll have to swap the stem (found both 50mm and 35mm online easy enough).

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

It just fitted me perfectly. No lift on the front wheel when climbing but nice and stable when descending.

My son who is 5' 10" also had a shot and really liked it too.

Hopefully will have it built up by next week so will report back when done.
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sounds like you've made up your mind on the Small, but just for future reference for others searching this topic: I ride a medium Mach 5.7c and I am ~5' 8" with ~30" inseam as well. Very comfortable on the bike. Demoing is definitely the best route in finding the right fit though.

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 sizing

Mine is now up and running (see photo section). It's an absolute blast! So smooth on rocky gnarly descents
    Phillip

1994 Cannondale F900
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7
    2013 Cotic BFe

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    We suggest the small for your height. But keep in mind, these are just suggestions. If you have long arms, and long torso you may like the medium. I've always followed the simple rule, that you an make a small bike fit easier than you can make a bigger bike fit. I would suggest the small for your height.
    Daniel
    Gospel

mtbr member
    It's funny how sizing can be so different between brands. Not just medium vs medium but what manufacturers recommend for certain heights.
    For example...
    I'm 5'8" and ride a medium Yeti ASR 5C, which is the size Yeti recommends for my height. Top tube is 23.7. Fit is about perfect with the 50mm stem I run.
    I'm looking at a 5.7C frame and Pivot recommends the small for my height, which has a TT of 22.6.
    I'm also considering an SB 66C which in medium (again Yeti recommendation) has a TT of 24.1.
    To me Pivot seems to size around longer stems, which seems really backward to me. Having switched to a short stem I'd NEVER consider anything else.
    If I get the Pivot it would definitely be the medium.
    Yeti, on the other hand, are firm believers in short, short stems and consequently size their front triangles around that. Granted they seems to be on the other end of the spectrum -- the SB 66 in medium may be too big.

I am Doctor Remulak
    jon123...you really should demo both the small & medium 5.7C before you buy. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and the medium is too large for me & my riding preferences. I prefer a smaller bike so that I'm not too stretched out on steep descents and ledges. Just my 2 cents on the sizing.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here