mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Mach 5.7 Sizing for 6'-2" Rider (Currently Own L 429)

I currently ride a Large 2011 Pivot Mach 429 with a 90mm stem and it feels just right but I would like to add a Mach 5.7c to my quiver. I am just torn between what size to get (Large or XL). I don't have anyone near me that has them in stock in both Large and XL (Houston, TX). Pivot might be stopping in Dallas, TX or Austin, TX in November if they follow the same demo schedule as last year but that is not guaranteed. Any recommendations from others that are about my same size? It looks like the TTL for the XL 5.7 and the Large Mach 429 are the same at 24.75", so maybe a Large 429 is equivalent to a XL 5.7. If I stick with the Large 5.7 I would need either a 110mm or 100mm stem to maintain the same cockpit.

My Measurements
    Height: 6'-2"
    Inseam: 33"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam. A large 5.7 with a 70 mm stem and 710 mm bars fits me perfectly. I don't know if you need or will want the same cockpit length on the 5.7 as the 429. The 5.7 is made for a little more aggressive use and you may want to be a little more upright. A 100 or 110 mm stem seems too long for the 5.7. You could try a shorter stem and wider bars on the large. If that doesn't work for you, I would go with the XL and a shorter stem (< 100mm if possible). Test rides will be the key if you can get them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, I talked to Pivot and they recommended I go with a XL Mach 5.7. I found a few pictures of the XL Mach 5.7 and it just looks wacky (see below). I am now considering the XL Ibis Mojo HD 140 as an alternative since the XL frame still looks normal and it still uses the DW Link. The XL Mojo has a TTL of 24.5", The Large Mach 429 has a TTL of 24.75", and the XL Mach 5.7 has a TTL of 24.75". I run a 90mm stem and 710mm bars with my Large Mach 429. Loosing a 1/4" in TTL with the Mojo should not be a big deal (I could always use a 95mm stem). The Mojo TTL is squarely in the middle between the Large and XL Mach 5.7. I want to hold out for a Pivot 650B bike but who knows when that will come about. I am going to test a Large Ibis Mojo SL this weekend.

I also currently own a XL 2008 Trek EX8 that was really my first full suspension bike and it was a big mistake because I should have been on a Large from the start. The TTL on the XL EX8 is 25.5". I had to use a 70mm stem to make the bike feel half way decent and the wheelbase on the XL is 46.3" so it turns like a cruise ship.

XL Ibis Mojo SL

XL Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    Last edited by Blk02; 09-12-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did some more research and I found out that the XL Turner 5 Spot has the same stack and very close to the same reach as a Large Pivot Mach 429. I am trying to track down a XL Turner 5 Spot to test ride at the moment. I could not find a XL Ibis Mojo to test ride in my area but I did find a Large to throw my leg over but due to it being the wrong size the test ride did not tell me much.

Large Pivot Mach 429 120mm
    Stack: 24.63
    Reach: 16.80

XL 2012 Turner 5 Spot 150mm
    Stack: 24.6
    Reach: 16.4

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 6'-2" - 6'-3" 33-34 inseam and the AL Mach 5.7 fits me perfectly with 180mm cranks and a 60 mm stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Runner View Post
    I'm 6'-2" - 6'-3" 33-34 inseam and the AL Mach 5.7 fits me perfectly with 180mm cranks and a 60 mm stem.

Is that a XL frame or a Large frame? I could not tell if AL was for aluminum large or just a typing mistake. It looks like a XL head tube.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    Is that a XL frame or a Large frame? I could not tell if AL was for aluminum large or just a typing mistake. It looks like a XL head tube.

Thanks
    Sorry for the fat finger. It's an XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well I made a mistake with my first statement. The large Mach 429 that I currently ride has a 80mm stem with a 700mm bar so if I did buy a large 5.7 I could get away with a 90mm stem with probably a 720mm bar. Anyone else that is 6'-2" that rides a large 5.7?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The size large looks crappy too comparing to turner and ibis.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm 6'2 with a 34-inch inseam. The L 5.7 with a 70mm stem was perfect sizewise. I absolutely hated the bike, but the sizing was spot on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    5'2 here, railing it on a S sized al5.7. Sizing is spot on for almost all the situations i ride in, from rocking it on the gardens or squeezing thru a tight switchback. Altho to be frank the lbs had said that given my height i was better off on a XS, but i hated the cramped up feeling of the XS, and using a 100mm stem felt wrong on a bike like this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    6' 3" and L fit. I'd suggest a demo day if possible, that way you can do a side by side comparison.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a size large M5.7 with a 70mm stem and 700mm wide bars.
    I'm 6'-1'' with a 34" inseam.
    I started with a 90mm stem but it was way too long for me.
    The 70mm stem is OK, but am thinking of getting a 50 or 60mm stem.
    I think the bike fits OK, but in a perfect world, would like the TT a touch shorter.
    I test a size medium but it was too small. I figured better to go with the shorter stem option.
    I couldn't imagine riding a size XL, it would be way over the top tool large for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You might think its ugly, but beauty is only skin deep. Dont buy one, its your choice, but you will be missing out!

But to be honest, Im 6'4, and if I were much shorter in the leg I wouldnt be able to run my LEV dropper post.there is around an inch of post movement available to me. And you couldnt have a bike like this and not run a dropper.....

Im not sure what my inseam is sorry, but I dont have short legs.

So yeah, at 6'1 Id be looking hard at the large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 Sizing for 6'-2&quot; Rider (Currently Own L 429)-img_1475.jpg