mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mach 5.7 Ride and Fit

Does anyone have experience w/ the ride and fit of the 5.7?

I've ridden small frames in both the M5 and the Firebird. They both fit and rode extremely well and I enjoyed the hell out of them for the couple hours I demo'd them.

If I were to order a small in the new 5.7 would I be good to go? I know the 5.7 is a little plusher but still maintains great cornering and other important trail aspects which I want. Mainly concerned over the fit. I'm 5' 7"
    Thanks,
    TJM

Bike Addiction
    I asked a similar question. I'm 5' 7.5" What size Mach 5
    PS If you scrool down the board you'll see "Demoed a 5.7" I think Zorg is about our height also and makes some comments about bike sizes. Might help
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I built a small 5.7 last week with a 90 mm stem and it fits me perfectly. You should be very comfortable on a small.

FWIW, if I were buying a Firebird right now it would also be a small.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I built a small 5.7 last week with a 90 mm stem and it fits me perfectly. You should be very comfortable on a small.

Thanks man. I'm about a 29.5 or 30" inseam as well. I ride a small Stumpy hardtail now and its fine. I loved the plushness of the firebird and the stable handling and pedaling/climbing of the M5. I'm pretty stoked cause the 5.7 seems to be a great compromise between the two bikes (essentially a plusher m5 but still w/ all the great handling and pedaling traits). I would get a firebird but it would never be used to its full potential on my local trails.

ZEN RIDER!
    I've been debating what size Firebird frame for a few months now while I am saving for my new ride. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Recently I rode my dad's Stumpy for a few weeks while waiting for parts & I enjoyed the short top tube & compact frame. Its a medium but the top tube measured 22.5. So I'm thinking a small bird with a 70mm stem would do the trick.
    Soon to have a stable of Pivots in the family, I"m getting the bird, my dad has a mach 4 & is getting a 5.7 after he gets his heart ablated for afib.
    Life in every breath

My other ride is your mom
    I'm 5'7" on a M5 and IMO, you're well into the Small range for the 5.7. I have not ridden the 5.7....so take that with a grain of salt...but the geo changes were not drastic enough to merit a major change in fit requirements based on size.

I've been on both the M5 small and medium and the small is very comfortable...the medium is a bit stretched out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

AZ Mikey, is there any way you can post a pic of your bike. I'm curious as to what the small frame top tube looks like. I'm meeting w/ my dealer to order my 5.7 on the 6th and I have only been able to find pics of medium or larger frames.
    Thanks in advance,
    TJM

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031
    AZ Mikey, is there any way you can post a pic of your bike. I'm curious as to what the small frame top tube looks like.
    TJM
    This is all I have with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 Ride and Fit-small-57.jpg  

MTBR wants you to know that I work here

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    I've been debating what size Firebird frame for a few months now while I am saving for my new ride. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Recently I rode my dad's Stumpy for a few weeks while waiting for parts & I enjoyed the short top tube & compact frame. Its a medium but the top tube measured 22.5. So I'm thinking a small bird with a 70mm stem would do the trick.
    Soon to have a stable of Pivots in the family, I"m getting the bird, my dad has a mach 4 & is getting a 5.7 after he gets his heart ablated for afib.

I'm 5'9 with a 32 inseam. Medium is the way to go unless you like a smaller bike for Technical and jumpy stuff.
    My FB is medium with a 70 mm stem. More of an agressive XC setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm 5' 9" and just got a Medium 5.7 and it feels great.
    Tequila tonight...for tomorrow we ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The question I keeping waiting for someone to anwser is how does the thing ride?????

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've only ridden it mine a few times(I had a broken scapula when I bought it) but with my limited time on it, I can say the ride is incredible. Had a Titus FTM prior and this handles so much better and is much more solid feeling. I'll know more after a few rides this weekend.
    Tequila tonight...for tomorrow we ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks man! Damn fine bike as well. Think I'm going with grey ano. My dealer has a frame on hold for me. Just gotta go Monday to get the money right and tell them to send it. I want the x9 2x10 build and they don't seem to have that full kit in yet. We shall see. I'll trade ya pic of mine when she comes in.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    AZ Mikey, are the blue anno. bolts and linkages available to everyone? The Pivot website only shows red-anno hardware on the 5.7s

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes
    AZ Mikey, are the blue anno. bolts and linkages available to everyone? The Pivot website only shows red-anno hardware on the 5.7s
    Its the Lunch box kit, available from Pivot
    Voltron

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mdobberina
    The question I keeping waiting for someone to anwser is how does the thing ride?????
    Pluuuussssshh. It rides just like my Mojo, except it's stiffer, has more feel of the trail. If this bike was available 5 years ago I would have chosen the 5.7.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Pluuuussssshh. It rides just like my Mojo, except it's stiffer, has more feel of the trail. If this bike was available 5 years ago I would have chosen the 5.7.
    Buck up you cheap basterd
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

Wow, that is interesting. At close to 200 lbs, I was scared that a Mojo SL would be too light (5 lb frame) and a Turner Spot is too heavy (7 lb frame). The 5.7 could be the perfect compromise.

www.derbyrims.com
    Now I'm spoiled by riding 650b wheels for 3 years, I have no interest in returning to 26" except on the same 650b bike that could also clear heavy duty 26" DH tires for ski park days. Of all the DWL trail bikes only the Firebird and the Mojo models clear 650b x 2.3 easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdobberina
    Only two short rides in snow so far. It is a very different animal from my HH100x but rear feels extremely good even if the pressures and rebound are set very roughly at the moment.

Fox Float 150 RLC fork is sticky and unresponsive though but maybe it will get better after break-in?