mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Mach 5.7 or mach 429?

Without me giving a preferred riding style, I would like to hear what type of riding you all think a 429 is perfect for vs the 5.7.

I have narrowed my new bike selection to these two bikes. I have been on the 429 but cannot get on a 5.7 to compare : - ( Obviously, if i'm still asking I'm not sold on the 429 being "the one" ..... I'm coming from a '98 aluminum HT (V-brakes, agg. geo, 64mm shock etc.) so everything feels different.

I really would like to hear how you would describe who each bike is for - thank you much!

My other ride is your mom
    Apples and Oranges.....sorry.....I have a Mach 5 and for me, that was based on a "the one" decision. At the time, the 5.7 did not exist. If it had, I would have picked the 5.7 as "the one"

Now if you're looking for "the one"....then I think the 5.7 is more of "the one" than the 429 is....but then again, I don't know your riding style.

In the end....I know that for me, "the one" is actually "two"...with the "two" being equal to "the firebird" and "the 429".

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Funny you said two bikes - that is what I think would be best too, but i'm trying to ignore that fact and looking for one bike ......

OK - "apples to oranges" if you were explaining to someone who or what each bike was for .... what would you say?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wouldn't a better question be, should I get a 29'r or a 26'r??

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am an expert on both bikes as I've ridden a 429 that was too small for me for about 2 minutes and looked at a 5.7 in the shop once for about 27 seconds.

I think the 429 would excel on rolling hills and open trails. The bike goes up and down the hill well. It makes quick work of small bumps due to the angle of attack from the clown wheels. I would say the 429 would make an excellent XC bike, but might be better suited on a little bit longer rides where your extra momentum can help save some energy for that late race push.

The 5.7 seems like a "do-it-all" bike to me. This is a trail bike that you can go out and really hammer on. Pivot frames are ultra stiff and durable allowing it to take the abuse. This bike can tackle nearly anything you find on a trail and can handle jumps and drops better than a 429. If you want to ride or even race it XC it wouldn't be too far out of its element. It would also make a great endurance bike as it keeps you in a comfortable position. The DW-link is efficient and it allows almost any of the Pivot bikes to be raced without giving up much, if any, to the competition. The 5.7 blurs the line between long-travel trail bike and xc racer in my eyes.

I ride a Mach 4 and want to throw in my 2 cents on that bike also. I know Jason English won the 24-hour Worlds on this bike last year, but I find it to be better suited to XC. It is fast beyond belief and climbs like a mountain goat with a rocket duct taped to it. The steering is quick and it really shines on switchbacks and tight courses. I've always compared it to having the efficieny of an Anthem X but being plush enough to where you don't feel beat up post race.

WheelDancer
    I think Brodiegrrl has a good point. I've been riding a 29'r for about three years and every time I get on a 26'r, rentals and such, it feels sort of choppy. I like the way the 29'r rolls over things and the way the wheels seem to pull the bike along.

I have to say that I personally don't quite understand "the one" concept as there's always another bike with a different capability that catches my eye. One of the good things about bikes is they don't get jealous when you have more than one.
    Just another cyclist dancing on the pedals.
    http://wheeldancer.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thank you - especially fatcamper, that really helps me put the two different bikes into perspective.

My riding style has kinda put me in a bind. I XC race (7-25 miles) about 10% of the time and play on big rocks, features 10% of the time - the problem is my "normal" 80% of the time riding is tight twisty singletrack with lots of roots, babyhead and rock gardens with short steep ups/downs, but while I'm riding these trails I'm always going to the sides to go up and over any features I can find like boulders with some just rolling off and others doing wheelie drops, hitting drops of up to max 4 feet (mostly between 2-3 feet). When I demo'd the 429 it was great on the trail but felt unsure on the features and "playful" stuff and got me thinking about the 5.7.

I cannot spend $9,000-$12,000 for both bikes - plus I can't switch while riding and doing different things while out there.....

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goaheadjump
    thank you - especially fatcamper, that really helps me put the two different bikes into perspective.

My riding style has kinda put me in a bind. I XC race (7-25 miles) about 10% of the time and play on big rocks, features 10% of the time - the problem is my "normal" 80% of the time riding is tight twisty singletrack with lots of roots, babyhead and rock gardens with short steep ups/downs, but while I'm riding these trails I'm always going to the sides to go up and over any features I can find like boulders with some just rolling off and others doing wheelie drops, hitting drops of up to max 4 feet (mostly between 2-3 feet). When I demo'd the 429 it was great on the trail but felt unsure on the features and "playful" stuff and got me thinking about the 5.7.

I cannot spend $9,000-$12,000 for both bikes - plus I can't switch while riding and doing different things while out there.....
    Take note that the 5.7 doesn't have a water bottle mount in the front triangle. It only has one on the bottom of the downtube, and I don't think most consider that a viable water bottle placement for racing. As I'm just entering my first race on this bike (haven't raced in a while), the Whiskey 25, I'm taking more note of this, as I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do for water. In this aspect, I think the original Mach 5 has an advantage, as well as the 429.

In terms of ride feel, I'm really enjoying the 5.7. I test rode both back to back at the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo course, and while the bigger wheels of the 429 had it feeling just as smooth over the smaller bumps, once it really got chunky (which isn't much out there, just the descent from the high point) you could tell the 429 only had 4 inches of travel, whereas the 5.7 was still plush. The 429 did have a really planted fun feel railing the corners though. For my type of riding I'm glad I chose the 5.7, except for the water bottle issue which I didn't really give much thought to at the time since I normally ride with a camelback. Obviously, I'll be riding with a Camelback for this race now, but it would have been nice to have a sports drink in a water bottle, and be able to get a handoff if I was running out of water in the camelback since it's a longer race (approx. 2 1/2 hours looking at last year's times).

Update: I quit my cryin', mounted a bottle cage in the spot available and rode around the neighborhood for a while taking the bottle in and out while pedaling, coasting, climbing, descending, cornering, etc. Didn't try it while braking... It wasn't as bad as I thought. I think I should be able to use my light 50oz Camelback for water, and I'll have some sort of hydration/energy drink in the water bottle. I'll try to use the bottle on the smooth climbs and save the Camelback for drinking on rougher sections and downhills. I think it will work out fine, as long as the bottle doesn't bounce out, and I'll try to update with how it actually worked out.
    Last edited by DLd; 04-26-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac