mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Mach 5.7 carbon vs aluminum ride difference?

I've seen some other threads comparing the two, but nothing really concerning the ride feel. I had the benefit of demoing a carbon the other day and it blew my mind. Best trailbike I've ever ridden. My question is, will this cheapskate notice a difference between the two? The things i noticed were cornering and climbing, and overall gear choice. The thing just made me faster. I've heard some rumblings about better frame shock absorbance but I don't know. Thoughts?

74 & 29 pilot
    Overall stiffness of the frame, which affects many aspects of the ride. I wish my FB had less flex.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krummholz! View Post
    I've seen some other threads comparing the two, but nothing really concerning the ride feel. I had the benefit of demoing a carbon the other day and it blew my mind. Best trailbike I've ever ridden. My question is, will this cheapskate notice a difference between the two? The things i noticed were cornering and climbing, and overall gear choice. The thing just made me faster. I've heard some rumblings about better frame shock absorbance but I don't know. Thoughts?
    I have the 5.7c and have ridden both and the 5.7c feels stiffer. Important to me, but maybe not to someone else. Ride both and determine which one you like more then buy it; don't let the price diff be the determinate since it's not that much.

As for shock absorbance, carbon does a better job of it but I'm dubious of anyone who says they notice the difference between the 5.7c and aluminum. What I did notice is that carbon handlebars deal with shock, vibration, and flex better than aluminum and my hand and wrists did notice the difference when I switched from aluminum bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's an interesting note about the carbon bars. A change like that could make a huge difference in the perception of a bike... You are right I do need to ride the alloy one too, I just feel like I will find better close out prices on the alloy this fall. Brand new you are right price is pretty minimal. Thanks for the replies, all helpful info?