mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Mach 5.7 carbon front shock ?

So I ordered a 2013 mach 5.7 carbon frame small last month and it is do in this Easter weekend, so I can start my build. My question to all of you is I also ordered a fox 34 float to go with it, based off of other information I have gathered over the last 4 months from this forum. I had told my bike shop to lower it to 150mm but they were suggesting to keep it at 160 and ride it that way for a bit. Now he is charging me only 50 bucks to drop it and based on others here that is pretty cheap or on par. I just wanna ride the bike as it was meant to from Pivot. I also understand that the A2C still wont be the same as a 32 but it will be a lot closer then the 160. what is everyone elses thoughts on this. Stumped whether I should do it now or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My bike is built and the snow is melting (despite the threat of more to come). I asked my Lbs to drop the 34 (which came in black yeah). My decision was based on this thread. mach 5.7 and 34 fork, specifically reply #19. Hope this helps. Good luck with the build.
    Last edited by mattmd; 03-27-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Additional information

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2422 View Post
    So I ordered a 2013 mach 5.7 carbon frame small last month and it is do in this Easter weekend, so I can start my build. My question to all of you is I also ordered a fox 34 float to go with it, based off of other information I have gathered over the last 4 months from this forum. I had told my bike shop to lower it to 150mm but they were suggesting to keep it at 160 and ride it that way for a bit. Now he is charging me only 50 bucks to drop it and based on others here that is pretty cheap or on par. I just wanna ride the bike as it was meant to from Pivot. I also understand that the A2C still wont be the same as a 32 but it will be a lot closer then the 160. what is everyone elses thoughts on this. Stumped whether I should do it now or not.
    Lower it. I got the Talas 160 and it was fine on bomber downhills, techy rocks, longer flow trails (first few rides), but sucked on bermed hairpins, tighter switchbacks, etc. later rides. I went ahead and swapped out the air shaft lower assembly to a 120/150 and the ride has been fantastic ever since. The geo get's too screwed up with the extra 17mm A2C change, which sounds odd considering it's not that dramatic of a change, but makes sense since the bike was designed for a 140 mm or 150mm fork.

Just lower it now and enjoy the bike to it's fullest.