Mach 5.7 CARBON

only one pic so far but Im sure details are coming shortly

#THELEGEND #MAKE****HAPPEN

mtbr member
    I need lots and lots more info! I hope this is at Outerbike
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    I snapped these yesterday,

please don't quote me on this, it was late in the (beer) day..

5 ish lbs

$400 ish more

available very soon!!!!!!!!

Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pivot told me yesterday they could not confirm nor deny a carbon 5.7, and today my Pivot dealer said it'd be out in the Spring after they get some built and tested.

mtbr member
    Well, i was at Dealer Camp yesterday and they had frames and complete bikes on display. They were not available to test ride but they are going to be available for sale soon!
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Pivot told me yesterday they could not confirm nor deny a carbon 5.7, and today my Pivot dealer said it'd be out in the Spring after they get some built and tested.
    I would guess that you called us before the frames were shown at Dealer Camp. For obvious reasons we couldn't say anything until they made their debut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Probably. I called yesterday around noon PST.
    I'm a DW Link fan, and the 5.7 specs fit my needs. Unfortunately the delivery is so far in the future that my next bike purchase timing is a tad off. Maybe the next next purchase will be that carbon 5.7; looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey View Post
    I would guess that you called us before the frames were shown at Dealer Camp. For obvious reasons we couldn't say anything until they made their debut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I hope it's available soon! Any information on when? I'm ready to buy something now - this looks like a real contender!

#THELEGEND
    @krispy thanks for the pics you rock mang.
    #THELEGEND #MAKE****HAPPEN

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    MOAR PICS PLEASE. Pretty please?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Waiting patiently for the 29er version so I can sell all my frames to get it. I hope they get it right the first time like they did with my 429. I'm sick of being a beta tester.

mtbr member
    Those graphics are terrible! Makes the bike look cheap- love the frame- can't wait for the specs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen View Post
    Those graphics are terrible! Makes the bike look cheap- love the frame- can't wait for the specs
    I agree about the graphics! I'm not usually that particular, but those are LOUD. I don't like a bike that yells its name like that. By contrast, the Ibis Mojo SL-R is nicely understated.

Still, this bike looks awesome! Can't wait to get more details!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great.

Just when I was set on the SLR...

Would be nice to know the specs.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice one... When this frame will available in Asia?

the train keeps rollin
    +3 on the graphics, FUGLY!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I also agree. Too much with the logo / graphics. Keep it simple & classy.

Lightly salted
    I also agree on graphics, its a little to much. Maybe there is less graphics on some of the other color options? Anyone know in what colors the frame will be avaliable?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    +6 better graphics needed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd take that frame with the graphics.

you know my mailing address!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was thinking that perhaps I'd upgrade from my 5.7 if it had water bottle mounts inside the front triangle, and it does. Uh-oh.
    Can't wait for the snow to melt and the dirt to dry

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Pivot,
    Why Carbon? I know you saw no need for a while, or at least I remember reading some where you would only offer carbon when it was appreciably better than you aluminum frames. Given how well your aluminum frames are, I would love to know what is changed in your minds. There is no doubt it will sell well (I can't wait to get one). However, given how well you have done with aluminum, I think that your perspective on what carbon offers would be welcome.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Hey Pivot,
    Why Carbon? I know you saw no need for a while, or at least I remember reading some where you would only offer carbon when it was appreciably better than you aluminum frames. Given how well your aluminum frames are, I would love to know what is changed in your minds. There is no doubt it will sell well (I can't wait to get one). However, given how well you have done with aluminum, I think that your perspective on what carbon offers would be welcome.

Thanks.
    Out of curiosity, why do you want one?

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Hey Pivot,

Thanks.
    Chris C saw it's not only you wanting the carbon frame, there are many more..., so here it is the birth of Pivot carbon.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Why I want one

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you want one?
    That's a fair question. Here are the reasons:

- I think carbon is a better material. Airplanes in the 80s were made of aluminum. Think 737. Airplanes today are made of carbon fiber (think 787). I feel carbon frames will last longer and survive crashes better than aluminum. Of course when carbon goes there is usually no warning.

- It is usually six or seven years for me between mountain bikes. When I buy a new one I usually get the newest model offered and it has worked well for me - I have one of the earliest Intense Spiders, Breezer Lightnings and VooDoo D-Jabs. Inevitably the second version of a new model tends to be better as the manufacturers work out the kinks. However I am not patient enough to wait.

- Weight. I used to subscribe to the notion at weight doesn't matter. That was before I was fortunate enough to afford durable lightweight parts. The difference between a 29 pound bike and 24 pound bike for me is about 5 minutes for every 1000 feet vertical.

That about covers it.

mtbr member
    That's a fair question. Here are the reasons:

- I think carbon is a better material. Airplanes in the 80s were made of aluminum. Think 737. Airplanes today are made of carbon fiber (think 787). I feel carbon frames will last longer and survive crashes better than aluminum. Of course when carbon goes there is usually no warning.

- It is usually six or seven years for me between mountain bikes. When I buy a new one I usually get the newest model offered and it has worked well for me - I have one of the earliest Intense Spiders, Breezer Lightnings and VooDoo D-Jabs. Inevitably the second version of a new model tends to be better as the manufacturers work out the kinks. However I am not patient enough to wait.

- Weight. I used to subscribe to the notion at weight doesn't matter. That was before I was fortunate enough to afford durable lightweight parts. The difference between a 29 pound bike and 24 pound bike for me is about 5 minutes for every 1000 feet vertical.

That about covers it.
    I think that your reasons are some of the many that Pivot has been hearing about the attributes of carbon. Pivot is just supplying what their customers demand. While there will certainly always be a market for other materials, I think that we will see more and more full suspension carbon frames in mountain biking.

I drank the carbon and 29er koolaid at the same time and bought a Tallboy and have loved every minute of it. I still have my beloved Mach 5, but I took an instant liking to the TB and have hardly put it down since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    While the new frame is lighter, Pivot marketing manager Tim Jackson says the benefits of switching to carbon go beyond just weight.

"It's not a vast weight difference," he told Cyclingnews. "The difference is in the ride characteristic of carbon – it's a bit stiffer, has the lower vibration of carbon and with the integrated frame protector, it's mighty quiet, too."

Pivot Cycles Debuts New Mach 5.7 Carbon | Cyclingnews.com

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Hey Pivot,

Thanks.
    You are correct. Chris has always said, we will make changes to our models when we find new improvements that will increase the performance of our frames. Performance has been the driving factor behind all of our designs at Pivot. If we can change the way we make something and it will increase the overall performance of the bike, then we will do it.

Carbon provides us with a half pound weight savings over the Mach 5.7, it also allows us to increase the BB and HT torsional stiffness by 10%. These are significant improvements, and warrant the change. We always knew we would move towards Carbon Fiber, and this is the year the Mach 5.7 get's it's Carbon Brother.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Carbon 5.7 has really nice clean lines aesthetically and as a side-effect it probably is lot easier to clean than current version.
    We are at the beginning of the muddy season and cleaning lower pivot + FD area with all the holes, profiles and recessions causes fair amount of extra work after every ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markom View Post
    Carbon 5.7 has really nice clean lines aesthetically and as a side-effect it probably is lot easier to clean than current version.
    We are at the beginning of the muddy season and cleaning lower pivot + FD area with all the holes, profiles and recessions causes fair amount of extra work after every ride.
    It is a pain to clean isn't it? And I'm in Colorado where it's dry. The good news is all that machining had to save quite a bit of weight at least.

At least it looks like you can actually get at the front derailleur now. FD setup on the Mach 5.7 was the most difficult on any mountain bike I've ridden. Not impossible mind you, just a pain in the ass and took a few tricks for optimum setup (which I figured out when installing it).
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    Well, i was at Dealer Camp yesterday and they had frames and complete bikes on display. They were not available to test ride but they are going to be available for sale soon!
    Your MTBR quote of the year is funny, but not very accurate. Most composites on bicycles are thermoset. The only thermoplastic bicycle frame I can think of are the old GT STS from the late 90's.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    The other thing - I've had identical aluminum, then carbon bikes. Being a clyde in size, weight, and strength - I really appreciate the increase in strength and stiffness. Rode the aluminum one day, swapped parts the next on to the new frame and they just weren't even close. So I'd imagine the carbon 5.7 will be awesome(er) than the aluminum.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    It is a pain to clean isn't it? And I'm in Colorado where it's dry. The good news is all that machining had to save quite a bit of weight at least.

At least it looks like you can actually get at the front derailleur now. FD setup on the Mach 5.7 was the most difficult on any mountain bike I've ridden. Not impossible mind you, just a pain in the ass and took a few tricks for optimum setup (which I figured out when installing it).
    Yes it is a pain, I was just trying to be polite....

My FD issues were solved last week when I installed SLX FD-M665 (2-ring specific FD) on my bike, previous part was slightly bent 10-speed XT FD which worked poorly on 2x9 speed setup. I can really recommend that FD, works fantastically.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My FD issues were solved last week when I installed SLX FD-M665 (2-ring specific FD) on my bike, previous part was slightly bent 10-speed XT FD which worked poorly on 2x9 speed setup. I can really recommend that FD, works fantastically.
    So you're using a 10 spd front mech with an otherwise 9 spd setup? I'm testing a 5.7 on Saturday and one of my concerns is how easy it would be to transfer my current 9spd gear across.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotan View Post
    So you're using a 10 spd front mech with an otherwise 9 spd setup? I'm testing a 5.7 on Saturday and one of my concerns is how easy it would be to transfer my current 9spd gear across.
    No, I used 10 speed front mech but the m665 is 9-speed. I managed to get the 10-speed XT work initially but it was never as good as this SLX.
    This FD is supercheap - e.g. Competitive cyclist is selling them for 22$!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, I used 10 speed front mech but the m665 is 9-speed. I managed to get the 10-speed XT work initially but it was never as good as this SLX.
    This FD is supercheap - e.g. Competitive cyclist is selling them for 22$!
    Ah, brain is warming up now. Still confused though. Acccording to this link:
    Product

The FD-M655 is not avilable in direct mount format. You have to get the M661 for that, which is for triples.

I'm looking to transfer my SLX 36/22 double with bash to a 5.7 So I'd need a direct mount Front Mech?

mtbr member

My FD is shifting fine (except occasionally jamming when switching from middle to small ring that I haven't figured out yet).

I was more referring to the fact that you have to attach the cable before you bolt on the derailleur and other things like taking the crank off to get to it. I can't seem to get to that allen bolt on my large frame after the derailleur is installed. Adjusting it at all once it's bolted on the frame and the cranks are installed is a pain.
    LMB

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Ah, brain is warming up now. Still confused though. Acccording to this link:
    Product

The FD-M655 is not avilable in direct mount format. You have to get the M661 for that, which is for triples.

I'm looking to transfer my SLX 36/22 double with bash to a 5.7 So I'd need a direct mount Front Mech?
    Zotan, you are confused. On the alloy frames we use an E-Type FD, and we remove the bracket and then directly mount it to the frame - we call it a direct mount E-Type FD, which is different than the High Direct Mount that will be used on the Carbon Mach 5.7.

The FD-M665 that is being used, is an E-Type and works perfectly on our frames for the 2x9 crowd.

Happy Trails!
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Dan, that was exactly the information I needed.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Dan, that was exactly the information I needed.
    That's what I'm here for. Happy to help! Let's all go for a ride now!
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would, but It's midnight and I haven't charged my lights. Don't let me stop you though :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    I was more referring to the fact that you have to attach the cable before you bolt on the derailleur and other things like taking the crank off to get to it. I can't seem to get to that allen bolt on my large frame after the derailleur is installed. Adjusting it at all once it's bolted on the frame and the cranks are installed is a pain.
    Hmmm, I have changed the FD shift cable with cranks installed both on M771(?, delivered with frameset) and the M665 on my large frame. There is the hole on the chainstay which was supposed to be used when adjusting the FD but it does not align with the cable mounting bolt and I'm accessing the bolt under the chainstay. I'm using normal Park foldable hex set so no tricks here.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I have changed the FD shift cable with cranks installed both on M771(?, delivered with frameset) and the M665 on my large frame. There is the hole on the chainstay which was supposed to be used when adjusting the FD but it does not align with the cable mounting bolt and I'm accessing the bolt under the chainstay. I'm using normal Park foldable hex set so no tricks here.
    I couldn't get to it on the SRAM XX double or the X9 triple that I installed when I went to 3x10 crank with bash. I'm assuming the Shimanos are completely different with a different bolt location. Fack, maybe I should have gotten a Shimano FD. Oh well, too late now.

The only thing I wish I could figure out is why my chain jams when dropping to the low ring in the front. I know it only happens when I make a bad shift (last minute drop to small ring before a big uphill while still in 11T on the cassette), but still it shouldn't really happen. On my 2x9 setup on my Tomac Snyper I didn't have a single unusable gear, and 22/11 isn't exactly a complete cross chain. It's not exactly the perfect gear combination or best technique true, but it shouldn't jam in the FD when changing either.

Oh and I wish I could run some sort of dual ring guide!!!! I've dropped my chain off the inside several times on rocky terrain despite a solid limit screw adjustment. Other than that I'm completely in love with my 5.7!
    LMB

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    We always knew we would move towards Carbon Fiber, and this is the year the Mach 5.7 get's it's Carbon Brother.
    So Dan, does this mean there's a Carbon Mach 5 on the horizon? That would be NICE!

Couple comments though. It doesn't take much of a stretch of the chain stays to fit 650b's (yeah, I drank way too much of the 29er kool aid)... make your frames adaptable to either wheel size and you'll be batting a 1,000 with a WHOLE bunch of folks!

Second, keep your head tube length under 135mm and you can put a Lefty 140 on that thing and have a sub-25lb All Mountain rig that will eat the Colorado Trail for lunch!

Just sayin'!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Pivotal figure
    No more Mach 5's at all, the 5.7 replaced it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    No more Mach 5's at all, the 5.7 replaced it.
    Well, maybe a Carbon Mach 4.5 then... the difference between Endurance Rig and Free Ride!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    I wonder why they didn't route the cables through the frame. That would have really finished out the lines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    I wonder why they didn't route the cables through the frame. That would have really finished out the lines.
    Because anyone who has ever owned or used internal routing knows its not worth the trouble. Ask any bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    Because anyone who has ever owned or used internal routing knows its not worth the trouble. Ask any bike mechanic.
    What are the problems from routing them through the frame? Besides the initial feeding of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What size tires can the 5.7 frame deal with? One of the things I like about the firebird is there are no worries about tire clearance issues, at least for me. If the carbon 5.7 can handle huge tires that gives it a leg up on the SLR for me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast