Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Mach 5.7 CARBON

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Great input! What made you not go vpp vs the 5.7c dw for your trails and riding style?
    Pedal platform, travel geo, and the how DW and Pivot dialed in travel and compression progression. VPP is great, but I prefer the Santa Cruz implementation on the Nomad vs. the Intense Carbine

mtbr member
    I can't, and shouldn't wait any longer to post the new ride- it will never look so pristine. I have a few changes to make, and the real break-in will take place down in California in a few weeks cutting my favorite trails in the Sierra mountains. So, I save for posterity here, and I will post more pics as I tighten up the rig!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Very nice ride grandsalmon, I would love to see a list of parts in the build and where you ended up for weight. You have got to love these bikes!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    I can't, and shouldn't wait any longer to post the new ride- it will never look so pristine. I have a few changes to make, and the real break-in will take place down in California in a few weeks cutting my favorite trails in the Sierra mountains. So, I save for posterity here, and I will post more pics as I tighten up the rig!
    Hey Grandsalmon - saw your steed on Jimmy's bike stand last week in an almost completed state. Glad to see it finished and on dirt now. :^)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is anyone here running the 26T granny ring up front? and if so, how do you feel the bike climbs?
    I have 26/38 with a 11-36t Cassette and i feel like the bike (30lbs) is a bit tough to climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When I first got my AL 5.7, it was stock with the x9 2x10 in the 26/39. Switched to 24/38 and was much happier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78 View Post
    Is anyone here running the 26T granny ring up front? and if so, how do you feel the bike climbs?
    I have 26/38 with a 11-36t Cassette and i feel like the bike (30lbs) is a bit tough to climb.
    I have been running a 24t on my Firebird and am planning to go to a 26t (and the 34 rear cassette). Maybe it's because my other bike is a 1X10 so I'm getting used to pushing a big gear, but 24 is just too low of gearing in many cases except for when it's super muddy out in the winter. 26, I think, would be perfect with that giganto cassette out back.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78 View Post
    I run 26/38 w/11-36 and have no issues climbing at all. My build is at 26 lbs and to be fair, I train gym and trail 6 days a week. Not knowing your riding style and trails, it does sound like a 24/36 combo might be better for you. Personally, I would have gone with a 24/36 set up on my custom build if Shimano had offered it as it's hard to be out of the saddle on the super vertical loose stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradittude View Post
    Very nice ride grandsalmon, I would love to see a list of parts in the build and where you ended up for weight. You have got to love these bikes!!!
    (JMW503, looks like I was only #2 out of Fat Tire Farm. Thanks for the recommendation: they were great to deal with, and I look forward to visiting their shop again. Thanks to you FTF guys!)

Here ya go-

* Frame Size: Medium
    * Fork: RS WCup 150mm Dual Air Revelation RCT3
    * Fender: Toby Henderson Enterprise front, yet affixed, save my teeth, eyes
    * Shock: Fox RP23 Kashima
    * Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail
    * Rotors: Ice Tech 180/160
    * Cranks: Shimano XTR Trail 38/26 (64/104 BCD)
    * Chain: XTR assym, rotate w KMC's
    * Rear Derailleur: XTR Plus GS (Med Cage)
    * Front Deraileur: XT Dmount (switch to 2013 version for rub issues)
    * Cables: Rear Gore sealed
    * Pedals: Shimano XT
    * Stem: Haven 70mm
    * Handlebar: Answer 720 AM Carbon 25mm rise
    * Seatpost: Easton 70 Carbon, no offset
    * Saddle: WTB Silverado Ti (switch Vigo Ti, a long, long haul saddle)
    * SPost clamp: Giant 2bolt 35mm I.D. x 20mm tall, not in photo
    * Cassette: XT 11-36
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110
    * Grips: Bontrager RL (to SRAM foam)
    * Tires: Conti Trail King 2.2 Tubeless
    * Wheels: Enve AM Carbon (24mm int./30 outer)
    * Hubs: DT 240s 32/32h * Spokes: Sapim bladed

* Weight: 25.1 lbs.

A lot of these components I rocked on an Ibis SL-R over the winter. Yea, along with you, I would like to cross compare, but I can't fairly do so, not yet. When back from NorCal I can do a review justice. I know the slacker HA, wee bit xtra travel, longer wheel base, different BB height are all going to be welcome, especially @ higher gen. speed. Though my crew down there, and I, are veterans of the sport, a couple of them have gone 24 w the 36cog for the long climbs out of the canyons. I am not strong enough to even warrant this; I have been tending to a torn muscle in my arm. Back to the Pivot: the frame's finish, shaping, are mighty nice

I am excited about the wheels, and thus will have to be extra careful w the shock(s) set-up. With my Heckler down in NorCal, I never paid too much attention w the single pivot. But even w a VPP, the DW-Link is a different animal, and its ride is what got me in this direction over a year ago.

Back here when I see/feel notables, and certainly ride impression.
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 05-23-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: seatpost clamp spec

mtbr member
    (JMW503, looks like I was only #2 out of Fat Tire Farm. Thanks for the recommendation: they were great to deal with, and I look forward to visiting their shop again. Thanks to you FTF guys!)

Here ya go-

* Frame Size: Medium
    * Fork: RS WCup Dual Air Revelation RCT3
    * Fender: Toby Henderson Enterprise front, yet affixed, save my teeth, eyes
    * Shock: Fox RP23 Kashima
    * Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail
    * Rotors: Ice Tech 180/160
    * Cranks: Shimano XTR Trail 38/26 (104 BCD)
    * Chain: XTR assym, rotate w KMC's
    * Rear Derailleur: XTR Plus GS (Med Cage)
    * Front Deraileur: XT Dmount (switch to 2013 version for rub issues)
    * Cables: Rear Gore sealed
    * Pedals: Shimano XT
    * Stem: Haven 70mm
    * Handlebar: Answer 720 AM Carbon 25mm rise
    * Seatpost: Easton 70 Carbon, no offset
    * Saddle: WTB Siverado Ti (switch Vigo Ti, a long, long haul saddle)
    * SPost clamp: Wilier cnc 2bolt, not in photo
    * Cassette: XT 11-36
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110
    * Grips: Bontrager RL (to SRAM foam)
    * Tires: Conti Trail King 2.2 Tubeless
    * Wheels: Enve AM Carbon (24mm int./30 outer)
    * Hubs: DT 240s 32/32h * Spokes: Sapim bladed

* Weight: 25.1 lbs.

A lot of these components I rocked on an Ibis SL-R over the winter. Yea, along with you, I would like to cross compare, but I can't fairly do so, not yet. When back from NorCal I can do a review justice. I know the slacker HA, wee bit xtra travel, longer wheel base, higher active BB height are all going to be welcome, especially @ higher gen. speed. Though my crew down there, and I, are veterans of the sport, a couple of them have gone 24 w the 36cog for the long climbs out of the canyons. I am not strong enough to even warrant this; I have been tending to a torn muscle in my arm. Back to the Pivot: the frame's finish, shaping, are mighty nice

I am excited about the wheels, and thus will have to be extra careful w the shock(s) set-up. With my Heckler down in NorCal, I never paid too much attention w the single pivot. But even w a VPP, the DW-Link is a different animal, and its ride is what got me in this direction over a year ago.

Back here when I see/feel notables, and certainly ride impression.
    I really liked the Vigo ti on my Nomad until it broke recently. So I threw an SST ti on there because I've always wanted one. Ouch that saddle doesn't fit me at all and neither did the Silverado Ti I tried. I think I might get another Vigo or Pure V.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I usually match up with a minimal saddle i.e. SDG Ti Fly, but the Vigo gives me better thigh influence & control, with or without a dropper. I've got a couple of old Joplins, and was ready to throw on the latest greatest, except the greatest hasn't happened- pitiful. Depending what broke on the Vigo, they taut that the rails are replaceable. Whether that's practical... maybe WTB will honor the sales distinction!

mtbr member
    I read mba june's magazine about this bike. Good review but I donīt agree about donīt put the dropper seatpost

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is the MBA review available online or do we have to wait a month or so for it to be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agg25 View Post
    Is the MBA review available online or do we have to wait a month or so for it to be available?
    it's available online......if you are subscribed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agg25 View Post
    It's available through the Pivot website whether you are subscribed to MBA or not.

http://pivotcycles.com/mediapdf/mba57c.pdf
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    I usually match up with a minimal saddle i.e. SDG Ti Fly, but the Vigo gives me better thigh influence & control, with or without a dropper. I've got a couple of old Joplins, and was ready to throw on the latest greatest, except the greatest hasn't happened- pitiful. Depending what broke on the Vigo, they taut that the rails are replaceable. Whether that's practical... maybe WTB will honor the sales distinction!
    when the rail broke, the rear plastic rail hole snapped open too.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralbike View Post
    I read mba june's magazine about this bike. Good review but I donīt agree about donīt put the dropper seatpost
    Good review, but the dropper post comment was just plain lame. It also seemed to be skewed towards XC/trail riding which is fine, but the 5.7c is a *very* capable AM and Enduro race rig and it would have been good to call out some of those capabilities as well. No big deal in the end, just a small critique.

mtbr member
    New to Pivot, not to carbon.

This is my 4th carbon framed Mnt bike. Blur XC c, Blut LTc, Nomad c. this bike stands out the most as it is the stiffest out of the larger travel bikes that I have owned. I don't have the XC c any more but the Pivot reminds me of that bike. it's like a long travel XC race bike.

Pretty happy with the build, came out to 24.3 LBS with pedals. (small frame) and yes I am running tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice door and nice bike!
    You mentioned the XCc reminds you of the 5.7c in a shorter travel. Did you consider the TRc instead of the 5.7c?

mtbr member
    TRc is less travel than the LTc I wanted more travel. I also wanted a light build. Plus I have owned way too many SC's, time to branch out a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fair enough! I almost went TRc but I'm such a DW fan that the VPP had bias from the beginning. What are your comparisons?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    TRc is less travel than the LTc I wanted more travel. I also wanted a light build. Plus I have owned way too many SC's, time to branch out a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I waited 8 weeks for mine and fell completely and totally in love INSTANTLY!
    Even inspired a few of my girl friends to get Mach 5.7s. The second pics is from our "Girls Night Out" ha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 CARBON-154731_10100915977365844_1964835405_n.jpg  

Mach 5.7 CARBON-574527_3361374465758_1551389290_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

XS 5.7 Carbon

Extra Small 5.7 Carbon (minus a broken front shifter)

Wife likes it so much - any comments can't do it justice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 CARBON-image_2e14ca21-586f-4883-aedf-a18cb25a31d4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice! I got the pink one too! It is an amazing bike...
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    New to Pivot, not to carbon.

This is my 4th carbon framed Mnt bike. Blur XC c, Blut LTc, Nomad c. this bike stands out the most as it is the stiffest out of the larger travel bikes that I have owned. I don't have the XC c any more but the Pivot reminds me of that bike. it's like a long travel XC race bike.

Pretty happy with the build, came out to 24.3 LBS with pedals. (small frame) and yes I am running tubes.

i ride a SC BLTc and love it, but these carbon Mach 5.7's are really cool looking. This build is sick looking.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast