• 12-02-2012
    bmxconvert
    Mach 5.7 and 5.7c rear shock size?
    Maybe I'm an idiot but I haven't been able to find the info anywhere.
    I haven't received mine yet so I can't measure it myself.
    If you guys would be so kind as to list the shock length and stroke I would appreciate it.
  • 12-02-2012
    HighTitan
    7 7/8" x 2.5
  • 12-02-2012
    kenbentit
    7.875 x 2.25
  • 12-02-2012
    HighTitan
    close enough. :p
  • 12-02-2012
    kenbentit
    That's what she said. Boom! ;)
  • 12-15-2012
    bmxconvert
    It took a while to make it in here to check this thread. Thank you.
    My frame will be here either Tuesday or Wednesday.

    I was curious about the shock as I have a RC4 Kashima with Ti spring left over from my Blur TRc. The stroke is slightly different so I'll just have to grab a different shock as a spare.
  • 12-15-2012
    kenbentit
    The other consideration is the valving of the shock, which will be tuned for the specific frame it was specced on. Swapping between different frame designs can lead to poor ride quality (shock can be over damped or under).
  • 12-15-2012
    bmxconvert
    I'm very well aware of that. I had the RC4 shock body and if the dimensions match I would have had it tuned for the 5.7C. I'll have to hit up my suspension guys and see if I'm correct in being able to use the same shock and having the stroke shortened.
    I know that Specialized used to send out Fox shocks with external travel spacers to limit the travel on Demo 7 frames.
    I just want to have a spare shock on hand. I'll get it sorted.
  • 12-15-2012
    kenbentit
    Spares are always a good thing, nothing hurts more than waiting for the shock to come back from servicing while everybody else is out riding....
  • 12-15-2012
    HighTitan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Spares are always a good thing, nothing hurts more than waiting for the shock to come back from servicing while everybody else is out riding....

    Yup... Mine is knackered. Dont know when Ill be able to send it in.
  • 08-01-2014
    Woodsy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bmxconvert View Post
    I'm very well aware of that. I had the RC4 shock body and if the dimensions match I would have had it tuned for the 5.7C. I'll have to hit up my suspension guys and see if I'm correct in being able to use the same shock and having the stroke shortened.
    I know that Specialized used to send out Fox shocks with external travel spacers to limit the travel on Demo 7 frames.
    I just want to have a spare shock on hand. I'll get it sorted.

    Heya BMXc -- i'm wondering what you found out since I may try the same thing --does it work to use a shock with .25" longer stroke by adding reducers (with same eye-2-eye length of course)? Does it throw any curveballs into tuning the shock, or volume adjustment considerations?
    Thanks for any help.
  • 08-02-2014
    Spidey2422
    So here's another question for ya ken. would it be worth the upgrade on a 5.7c to the fox rear x shock that comes on the mach 6. I have a 2013 mach 5.7c and just thinking if its worth the upgrade or not. I have heard good things on the shock but only what I have read online no one in my area has one yet.
  • 08-02-2014
    kenbentit
    The FloatX is a great shock but the main difference is the piggyback which gives some added heat isolation on longer descents. You won't be able to just swap shocks between a Mach6 and Mach5.7 though because they have different length and stroke (you'd have to order one in the correct configuration). As for it being worth the upgrade, it's really a matter of what you use the bike for. I've never really an issue with the standard body but I do prefer the piggyback for those occasional long descents. Personally, I'd just have your current shock serviced and maybe look into a custom tune if you want something specific out of it (or even order a volume reducer kit and experiment with that). A new shock is a pretty large expense after all.....
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spidey2422 View Post
    So here's another question for ya ken. would it be worth the upgrade on a 5.7c to the fox rear x shock that comes on the mach 6. I have a 2013 mach 5.7c and just thinking if its worth the upgrade or not. I have heard good things on the shock but only what I have read online no one in my area has one yet.

  • 08-02-2014
    wilks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spidey2422 View Post
    So here's another question for ya ken. would it be worth the upgrade on a 5.7c to the fox rear x shock that comes on the mach 6. I have a 2013 mach 5.7c and just thinking if its worth the upgrade or not. I have heard good things on the shock but only what I have read online no one in my area has one yet.

    Send the ctd that came with the frame to avalanche. It will be the best $200 you ever spent. Custom tune all the way.
  • 08-03-2014
    Spidey2422
    Thanks for the reply Ken and Wilks. unfortunately I live in Canada and there are not any suspension guru's here. So everything in that regard will need to go south of the border. So if I do end up getting a custom tune it will have to be in the off season so I am not without a ride.
  • 08-03-2014
    wilks
    Mach 5.7 and 5.7c rear shock size?
    Avy are in CT so actually from Ontario would not be a horrible distance to ship. If you call them they will tell you turnaround time