Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach 5.7 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Mach 5.7 27.5

My local Pivot dealer is trying to sell me a Mach 5.7 27.5 which is apparently available and shipping. Does anyone have any info on this?? Nothing at all on Pivot site

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ha, not to be rude, but I think your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about Unless they converted one of their stock to 27.5 themselves

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was at a demobday for pivot and they mentioned that they are testing kits for putting 27.5 on the mach 5.7, perhaps this is an early release.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I asked about this after the last demo at SoMo in Phx, and they Pivot said they have made available the 5.7 Carbon with 27.5 on XT pro build and up. Ships w/ Fox34 140mm fork and travel reduced to 5.2" to prevent tire from hitting seat tube. I'd love to see this at their next demo!

mtbr member
    I heard something about a kit coming out for the 5.7 as well. Now would this work on the aluminum version?

mtbr member
    Hey guys I had my 5.7c set up 27.5 this past year and loved it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 27.5-1510410_10202219330701469_896812518_n.jpg  

I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Hey guys I had my 5.7c set up 27.5 this past year and loved it.
    Nice job. I currently have a a 5.7C and am keen to get it to 27.5 to reduce the sizes of wheels in my stables from 26, 27.5 and 29 to just 27.5 and 29. Can you tell me how you managed it?

change is good
    Sep 2004

Mach 5.7 27.5

There is a kit that reduces travel. A friend put a 28,5 wheel with a Nobby Nic in his rear triangle. Not a lot of mud clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pivotal figure
    We are in fact offering the 27.5 kit as an option on 5.7C frames. It uses a shorter stroke shock and the rear triangle will clear a 2.2 HoneyBadger or 2.25 Ardent with no problems. The alloy version has a different rear triangle configuration and the bigger wheels won't fit. We actually have a selection of 27.5 Mach 5.7C demo bikes built up now...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    We are in fact offering the 27.5 kit as an option on 5.7C frames. It uses a shorter stroke shock and the rear triangle will clear a 2.2 HoneyBadger or 2.25 Ardent with no problems. The alloy version has a different rear triangle configuration and the bigger wheels won't fit. We actually have a selection of 27.5 Mach 5.7C demo bikes built up now...
    Is the kit available for current 5.7C owners to purchase

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very interesting! How does it ride in comparison to running smaller wheels and how compared to the M6?

As above, can punters like us order the kit? Is it just a shorter stroke, are you able to reveal the shock stroke? Can this be achieved by offset bushings?

Looking forward to hearing about this, as I've got a few mates with 650b bikes and it'd be great to try just the stroke/bushing setup with their wheels

Pivotal figure
    I meant to get some more info on the kits but got swamped with regular "work" stuff. I'll try to get some more details on Monday, or you can just email info@pivotcycles.com...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    bottom bracket height at the 27.5 set up ?

mtbr member
    So 130mm travel with the short shock? BB height and head angle with a 140mm 32 fork and a 150mm pike? Clearance for a 2.25 27.5 Hans Dampf? Is the shock a standard length? as frankly the stock CTD is useless compared to a custom tuned CTD with Avy'd internals. Also does the reduced travel negate some of the capability of the bike versus the 26er 5.7c with 34 or Pike? Thanks

Pivotal figure
    Sorry for the delay, we've been swamped with stuff and it took me a bit to get some details on the 27.5 setup. 1st off, the kits we have are only available with new complete bikes at this point. We are stocking a smaller number of those parts right now to see how much demand there is and the kits are allocated for complete bikes. As for geometry changes, the only detail that will change is the BB height. It will rise by approx .4". All other angles stay the same due to the shock being the same Eye to Eye length. An offset bushing would lower the BB to a position close to the stock setup but I don't know the exact number for that.
    I did get to take one of the demo bikes out for a weekend and I can honestly say I didn't notice any negative effects from running a shorter stroke shock. The added BB height was nice for some rock clearance but I did notice it feeling a bit tall on one particular section that's a steep rocky chute with high speed drops into tight turns. It's kinda like a bobsled course made of rock but much steeper. Everywhere else was fine and the larger wheel size more than made up for the reduced travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry for the delay, we've been swamped with stuff and it took me a bit to get some details on the 27.5 setup. 1st off, the kits we have are only available with new complete bikes at this point. We are stocking a smaller number of those parts right now to see how much demand there is and the kits are allocated for complete bikes. As for geometry changes, the only detail that will change is the BB height. It will rise by approx .4". All other angles stay the same due to the shock being the same Eye to Eye length. An offset bushing would lower the BB to a position close to the stock setup but I don't know the exact number for that.
    I did get to take one of the demo bikes out for a weekend and I can honestly say I didn't notice any negative effects from running a shorter stroke shock. The added BB height was nice for some rock clearance but I did notice it feeling a bit tall on one particular section that's a steep rocky chute with high speed drops into tight turns. It's kinda like a bobsled course made of rock but much steeper. Everywhere else was fine and the larger wheel size more than made up for the reduced travel.
    Thanks for the info, Ken.

Glad you have clarified there is minimal change in geometry with the larger hoops with only a slight increase in BB height.

mtbr member
    Hey Ken- Any update on these kits? Scott at my LBS said you're bringing some 27.5 demos to Endless on Saturday - but only down to a small. I have an XS 5.7c - would the kit work with an XS? What's included in it and what would it cost?

(I will be demo-ing an XS Les 27.5.) :-)

thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The 27.5 kit works on all sizes since they all share the same rear triangle. I don't know of any availability issues but I believe they're still just going to be part of complete bike sales, not ala carte...

mtbr member
    The 27.5 kit works on all sizes since they all share the same rear triangle. I don't know of any availability issues but I believe they're still just going to be part of complete bike sales, not ala carte...
    Thanks for your reply. Def let folks know if Pivot decides to sell the kit on its own!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for the update Ken!

Any chance you can let us know what the stroke of the shock you're using in the kit is? I'm keen to potentially experiment with this! Looking at the option of shortening the stroke during an upcoming service, or with the spacer method I saw a while ago

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 27.5

Yeah, that would be great. Can you share the components/ parts you're using for the conversion? Thanks!

Pivotal figure
    The shock is the same eye-to-eye with a 2" stroke. Other than that, it's a 27.5 specific fork and wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for that Ken! Looks like some testing may be in order down under

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh my. I'm sure you'll have tons more interest in this, me included. A 650b 5inch+ travel rig at 5lbs?! Perfecto.

I'm assuming all we'd need to do is add some nylon spacers onto the shock's inner shaft. It looks like HighTitan did something to make it work. Inquiring minds want to know.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Shorty
    In addition to the 650b wheels/fork. Has anyone considered slackening the head angle? I'm curious to know how this change will affect the ride and other geom of the bike?

AngleSet

Shorty
    Okay, so Pivot says they use a 140mm fork on the 650b conversion to keep the HA the same. So, if I one uses a 150mm fork, it will slacken it? How does this affect the ride? Sorry I'm new to this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I know this link is for a Yeti but the point is the guys from Bike mag make an interesting point which is Yeti has an awesome long travel 26" bike and a kick ass 29r but the 27.5 version is not better than either one of them. Then they basically say the tweeter ain't all that.

Considering Pivot makes the best long travel 26" bikes in the 5.7 and Firebird, granted Chris C says the 27.5 version is pretty darn good. I would leave it up to him to figure out figure out if they can make a better bike because we know they can. It be good to know if Chris thinks the 5.7 with 650s is better or just a way to meet customer demand.

Yeti SB-75 - Bike Magazine: 2014 Bible of Bike - Mountain Bike Tests - YouTube

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Ha, not to be rude, but I think your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about Unless they converted one of their stock to 27.5 themselves
    You can convert your Mach 5.7 Carbon to fit 27.5 wheels, by reducing the stroke of travel on the shock. It's easier to just buy a new shock, 7.875x2.0 vs. the 2.25 the 26" version uses.
    This basically changes the bike to a 5.2, as we need to limit the rear wheel from contacting the seat stay.

The only compromise here, is the tire clearance is limited to 27.5x2.25 and 2.3 tires. It will clear a 2.25 Hans Dampf. We recommend running a 27.5 140mm fork.

We have been shipping these for nearly 6 months now. We will have an official announcement on this later in the month, once we receive more stock on the rear shocks.

We had some sponsored riders racing this set up last year. Their only comment was they wished it could fit a 2.4 tire. Otherwise they loved it.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by katen21 View Post
    Okay, so Pivot says they use a 140mm fork on the 650b conversion to keep the HA the same. So, if I one uses a 150mm fork, it will slacken it? How does this affect the ride? Sorry I'm new to this.
    It will slacken it a little less than a degree, but it will also raise the BB more than a half inch. If you are looking to slacken it, you would better off getting a angle set headset to adjust the head angle.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for the updates Dan, very informative! I'll check out some shocks, but may end up just spacing the stroke to play, as it's easy enough to fit the spacers I've got a few mates with 650b bikes, so I reckon I'll be able to borrow their fork and wheels easy enough!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The kit comes with a shorter stroke 2" shock vs. the stock 2.25" stroke (I think it was 2.25"). Anyhow, you could do the same by putting in spacers though it may change the shock's performance. But I modded the shock on my old TRc and didn't notice a performance difference.

If I did this I'd also like to add an Angleset for 0.5-1 degree more slack. This would be better vs. using a 150mm travel fork as I like a low BB height for snappier handling.

What I'm curious about is the tire clearance. When I called Pivot they said a 2.25 HD had clearance but not sure how much. It's not fun when muds and rocks pack up and saw-tooth the carbon.

Anyone with more experience on this mod care to chime in?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just converted my 5.7 to 27.5. I thought about adding spacers to shorten the stack, but eventually decided to buy a new rear shock w/ 2" stack. Also running a 140mm fork.

Impressions:
    Very capable trail bike. Ascends incredibly efficiently (much more than Mach 6, which I rode for a week in Moab earlier this year). I was worried about increasing BB height, but I really don't think I notice it much, but tough to know. Don't notice the reduced travel at all, but I can tell roll-over and momentum is improved with larger wheels. I'm using Maxis 2.25 in rear with no tire clearance issues, even in mud. Overall, love the change. I really think the geo is great, but in the back of my mind, I wonder if a lower BB would be even better????

Any thoughts on BB height for those who have converted their 5.7 to 27.5?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I reckon looking at the BB height of the 27.5 version of the 5.7 that a 2016 Mach 5 27.5 is inevitable. The ultimate all day epic trail bike. Perfect blasting local trails, but also for the occasional road trip to bigger mountains.

135mm rear travel, 140mm fork (67.2 HA) with 150mm (66.7 HA) as an option (and make sure the seat angle still makes sense with the 150mm fork). Lower BB and a bit more reach compared to the Mach 6. Combined with the short chainstay's this makes it a super manoeuvrable precision tool in technical terrain. That's all, perfect bike for a lot of people.
    Last edited by CS645; 09-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    I reckon looking at the BB height of the 27.5 version of the 5.7 that a 2016 Mach 5 27.5 is inevitable. The ultimately all day epic trail bike. Perfect blasting local trails, but also for the occasional road trip to bigger mountains.

135mm rear travel, 140mm fork (67.2 HA) with 150mm (66.7 HA) as an option (and make sure the seat angle still makes sense with the 150mm fork). Lower BB and a bit more reach compared to the Mach 6. Combined with the short chainstay's this makes it a super manoeuvrable precision tool in technical terrain. That's all, perfect bike for a lot of people.
    +1 It would surprise me if Pivot isn't already working on this. Can't imagine CC would be satisfied with a makeshift conversion for the 5.7 to fill that sweet spot in the 27.5 line up. I think you've got the numbers just right... BB around 13.2". This should be good.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I think you've got the numbers just right... BB around 13.2". This should be good.
    Why not make it 12.5", yer gonna hit sh~t anyway.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had the rear shock serviced on my Mach 5.7 and they accident rebuilt it with a 2 inch stroke. I rode it this way without knowing or noticing any difference for a few rides. It wasn't until I realised I was not getting full travel that I realised what they had done. Anyway when I had it set back to 2.25inches it just felt so much plusher and bottomless on drops and rough terrain.
    I think I'll wait for a purpose built 650b Pivot bike, hopefully with 140mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm looking at the Mach 5.7 27.5 for my next bike. I coming off a 10 year old gary fisher. If you all were in the same boat would you pull the trigger this year or wait for the possible release of a purpose built 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Integra, I just sent a PM...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Personally if I was gong to get a new bike and you're set on the 5.7, I'd wait for the purpose built model.

I've got a 5.7C at the moment and am very happy with the 26" build. I won't be going with the conversion setup, but if they come out with a new 5.7C it may tickle my fancy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Would you look at the mach 6 or would that bike be another animal all together......rode one around a parking lot and it seemed like a lot of bike( it was a medium and I would ride a small so that may have been part of it).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For me, the trails I ride and the style that I like to ride in, I think the Mach 6 is too long, slack and burly Killer bike, a mate of mine has one and I've had a quick punt around on it, but I must have lucked out as the 5.7C is my perfect bike.

The combination of a slack-but-not-too-slack 67 deg HA, the short cockpit and the lightness (mine sits between 11kg and 12kg or so, depending on the wheelset of the day and the amount of dirt still there) make it my fav bike I've ever owned.

Haha, and just because I couldn't resist, here's my build thread Been a few changes since the last update, but still light, fast and nimble My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra204 View Post
    I'm looking at the Mach 5.7 27.5 for my next bike. I coming off a 10 year old gary fisher. If you all were in the same boat would you pull the trigger this year or wait for the possible release of a purpose built 27.5?
    Depending on the trails where you ride, I wouldn't rule out the Mach 4 Carbon. It's maybe not the best suited for chunky rocks. Otherwise, I'd wait for the next version of the longer travel trail bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am going with the pivot because I am getting 25% off at my LBS so it's a hard deal to pass up. I really didn't want to wait another year lol. I rode the mach 4 carbon and I really would like a bit more travel southern AZ is really rocky

mtbr member
    Sub'd for posterity, info, hopeful positive input & stories,
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is it tire height or width that limits the 27.5 conversion to a 2.3 tire? I'm actually looking to do a 26+ conversion. I've got a dirt wizard 2.75 that surprisingly fits in the back on my Trance x0, not much mud clearance but it fits. And that triangle has a vertical bar right in front of the tire.

Also wondering about sizing the frame. I'm 5'6" and would get a M in either a Bronson or a 5010 based on demo rides I've had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Both height and width of the tire can be an issue. Mine came with a Honey Badger 2.2 (tubed) on the rear with a few mm of clearance.

I swapped out with a NevegalProX (2.35) tubeless and a slightly less amount of height clearance but saw some scratches on the center and right inner side of the triangle. I then went to WTB Trail Boss (2.2) and had rubbing in the center due to height. (tough version which has long and firm sidewalls, although I think the light will also be too tall)

Going to look to go back to the honey badger (SCT) version..hopefully it will clear well. (the sidewalls on the Honey Badger are quite a bit shorter than the Trail Boss and Nevegals).

Regarding frame size, I'm 5'11 and chose the M as I was riding a large 29" (Stumpjumper) before and wanted a bike that I control better. I rode a large Mach 5.7 around the LBS as well, but felt better on the M.

Love the bike...just want to get the "right" rear tire for the various trails I ride here in So Cal that won't rub and isn't a rock grinder.

Dual Squishy...
    Completely considering this. New fork, New shock, and send my I9s back to I9 and have them rebuild the wheels with new 650b rims and spokes...

Which tires clearance is more of an issue? Width or height? Going with wider rims may be a mixed bag of results.

VMB
    db,
    My 5.7 came with a Honey Badger as well but it wore horribly and needed to be replaced 2 months after buying it. I ended up going with the Maxxis Ardent 2.25. Works great here in the Northeast. Clearance is tight, only 3 or 4 MM, but adequate for the tire size I like. I also noticed some scratches in front of the tire near the front of the rear triangle. My LBS suggested putting some scuff patches on the frame to keep it from wearing any more.

mtbr member
    My LBS is converting my bike right now. Just waiting on the rear shock, which they sent back to Fox to get it rebuilt to a 5.2. I had I9 wheels and debated trying to get them rebuilt, but it seemed easier just to get 28H King hubs with Stan's rims and build them up. The proprietary-ness of the I9 spoke system is a bit crazy - $7 per spoke? I'll sell the I9's to make up for at least half of the cost of the new wheels. Going with the Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires as well. I'm not super worried about clearance because I'm not very big - 5'1" (riding an XS frame). Guess I'll see next weekend.

Dual Squishy...
    Test fit my son's 650b wheel/tire off his Enduro and the sides fit, but the slaughter rubs on the chain stay bridge. Did they change the frame clearance at the chain stay bridge? My frame is a 2012-2013.

Mach 5.7 27.5-image.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast