Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mach 5.7 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Mach 5.7 27.5

My local Pivot dealer is trying to sell me a Mach 5.7 27.5 which is apparently available and shipping. Does anyone have any info on this?? Nothing at all on Pivot site

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ha, not to be rude, but I think your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about Unless they converted one of their stock to 27.5 themselves

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was at a demobday for pivot and they mentioned that they are testing kits for putting 27.5 on the mach 5.7, perhaps this is an early release.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I asked about this after the last demo at SoMo in Phx, and they Pivot said they have made available the 5.7 Carbon with 27.5 on XT pro build and up. Ships w/ Fox34 140mm fork and travel reduced to 5.2" to prevent tire from hitting seat tube. I'd love to see this at their next demo!

mtbr member
    I heard something about a kit coming out for the 5.7 as well. Now would this work on the aluminum version?

mtbr member
    Hey guys I had my 5.7c set up 27.5 this past year and loved it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 5.7 27.5-1510410_10202219330701469_896812518_n.jpg  

I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Hey guys I had my 5.7c set up 27.5 this past year and loved it.
    Nice job. I currently have a a 5.7C and am keen to get it to 27.5 to reduce the sizes of wheels in my stables from 26, 27.5 and 29 to just 27.5 and 29. Can you tell me how you managed it?

change is good
    Sep 2004

Mach 5.7 27.5

There is a kit that reduces travel. A friend put a 28,5 wheel with a Nobby Nic in his rear triangle. Not a lot of mud clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pivotal figure
    We are in fact offering the 27.5 kit as an option on 5.7C frames. It uses a shorter stroke shock and the rear triangle will clear a 2.2 HoneyBadger or 2.25 Ardent with no problems. The alloy version has a different rear triangle configuration and the bigger wheels won't fit. We actually have a selection of 27.5 Mach 5.7C demo bikes built up now...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    We are in fact offering the 27.5 kit as an option on 5.7C frames. It uses a shorter stroke shock and the rear triangle will clear a 2.2 HoneyBadger or 2.25 Ardent with no problems. The alloy version has a different rear triangle configuration and the bigger wheels won't fit. We actually have a selection of 27.5 Mach 5.7C demo bikes built up now...
    Is the kit available for current 5.7C owners to purchase

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very interesting! How does it ride in comparison to running smaller wheels and how compared to the M6?

As above, can punters like us order the kit? Is it just a shorter stroke, are you able to reveal the shock stroke? Can this be achieved by offset bushings?

Looking forward to hearing about this, as I've got a few mates with 650b bikes and it'd be great to try just the stroke/bushing setup with their wheels

Pivotal figure
    I meant to get some more info on the kits but got swamped with regular "work" stuff. I'll try to get some more details on Monday, or you can just email info@pivotcycles.com...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    bottom bracket height at the 27.5 set up ?

mtbr member
    So 130mm travel with the short shock? BB height and head angle with a 140mm 32 fork and a 150mm pike? Clearance for a 2.25 27.5 Hans Dampf? Is the shock a standard length? as frankly the stock CTD is useless compared to a custom tuned CTD with Avy'd internals. Also does the reduced travel negate some of the capability of the bike versus the 26er 5.7c with 34 or Pike? Thanks

Pivotal figure
    Sorry for the delay, we've been swamped with stuff and it took me a bit to get some details on the 27.5 setup. 1st off, the kits we have are only available with new complete bikes at this point. We are stocking a smaller number of those parts right now to see how much demand there is and the kits are allocated for complete bikes. As for geometry changes, the only detail that will change is the BB height. It will rise by approx .4". All other angles stay the same due to the shock being the same Eye to Eye length. An offset bushing would lower the BB to a position close to the stock setup but I don't know the exact number for that.
    I did get to take one of the demo bikes out for a weekend and I can honestly say I didn't notice any negative effects from running a shorter stroke shock. The added BB height was nice for some rock clearance but I did notice it feeling a bit tall on one particular section that's a steep rocky chute with high speed drops into tight turns. It's kinda like a bobsled course made of rock but much steeper. Everywhere else was fine and the larger wheel size more than made up for the reduced travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry for the delay, we've been swamped with stuff and it took me a bit to get some details on the 27.5 setup. 1st off, the kits we have are only available with new complete bikes at this point. We are stocking a smaller number of those parts right now to see how much demand there is and the kits are allocated for complete bikes. As for geometry changes, the only detail that will change is the BB height. It will rise by approx .4". All other angles stay the same due to the shock being the same Eye to Eye length. An offset bushing would lower the BB to a position close to the stock setup but I don't know the exact number for that.
    I did get to take one of the demo bikes out for a weekend and I can honestly say I didn't notice any negative effects from running a shorter stroke shock. The added BB height was nice for some rock clearance but I did notice it feeling a bit tall on one particular section that's a steep rocky chute with high speed drops into tight turns. It's kinda like a bobsled course made of rock but much steeper. Everywhere else was fine and the larger wheel size more than made up for the reduced travel.
    Thanks for the info, Ken.

Glad you have clarified there is minimal change in geometry with the larger hoops with only a slight increase in BB height.

mtbr member
    Hey Ken- Any update on these kits? Scott at my LBS said you're bringing some 27.5 demos to Endless on Saturday - but only down to a small. I have an XS 5.7c - would the kit work with an XS? What's included in it and what would it cost?

(I will be demo-ing an XS Les 27.5.) :-)

thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The 27.5 kit works on all sizes since they all share the same rear triangle. I don't know of any availability issues but I believe they're still just going to be part of complete bike sales, not ala carte...

mtbr member
    The 27.5 kit works on all sizes since they all share the same rear triangle. I don't know of any availability issues but I believe they're still just going to be part of complete bike sales, not ala carte...
    Thanks for your reply. Def let folks know if Pivot decides to sell the kit on its own!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for the update Ken!

Any chance you can let us know what the stroke of the shock you're using in the kit is? I'm keen to potentially experiment with this! Looking at the option of shortening the stroke during an upcoming service, or with the spacer method I saw a while ago

mtbr member

Mach 5.7 27.5

Yeah, that would be great. Can you share the components/ parts you're using for the conversion? Thanks!

Pivotal figure
    The shock is the same eye-to-eye with a 2" stroke. Other than that, it's a 27.5 specific fork and wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for that Ken! Looks like some testing may be in order down under

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh my. I'm sure you'll have tons more interest in this, me included. A 650b 5inch+ travel rig at 5lbs?! Perfecto.

I'm assuming all we'd need to do is add some nylon spacers onto the shock's inner shaft. It looks like HighTitan did something to make it work. Inquiring minds want to know.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Shorty
    In addition to the 650b wheels/fork. Has anyone considered slackening the head angle? I'm curious to know how this change will affect the ride and other geom of the bike?

AngleSet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast