Thread: Mach 5.7 1x10

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Mach 5.7 1x10

I'm glad to see that Pivot has come out with an adapter that provides an ISCG05 chainguide mount for the 5.7. I think a 1x10 setup would be great on this bike and I would probably go for SRAM X.0, but I'm not sure what to do about the crankset.

- single-speed specific? Not sure what works with the BB, or about compatibility with 9 vs. 10-speed.
    - buy a triple and pull off a couple of rings? Seems like kind of a waste.

Anybody been down this road or thinking about it?

mtbr member
    Buy the XTR triple, send me the 24t granny, throw the big ring away, and don't look back.
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    I'm glad to see that Pivot has come out with an adapter that provides an ISCG05 chainguide mount for the 5.7. I think a 1x10 setup would be great on this bike and I would probably go for SRAM X.0, but I'm not sure what to do about the crankset.

- single-speed specific? Not sure what works with the BB, or about compatibility with 9 vs. 10-speed.
    - buy a triple and pull off a couple of rings? Seems like kind of a waste.

Anybody been down this road or thinking about it?

I would buy a SS specific crankset and BB (if needed). Most mfgs now make BB92 cups so you could swap out the Shimano ones if you decided on another crank mfg. Sadly Shimano doesnt really make a SS specific crank unless you count the Saint. Some mfg, raceface & FSA/Gravity, make cranks that have a removable spider for the small ring.

If your going for cheap, I would go with Truvativ Stylo 1x1 and Truvativ BB92 cups, together both can probably be had for cheaper than any comparable Shimano crank offering.

If your going 1x on front, use a single ring specific ring like the E13 guide ring, which is compatible with 7, 8, 9, 10 speed. Also since cranks are going to be 1x any crankset will work with 7-8-9-10.

Good luck!
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Buy the XTR triple, send me the 24t granny, throw the big ring away, and don't look back.
    Problem solved! Let me get your address.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    I would buy a SS specific crankset and BB (if needed). Most mfgs now make BB92 cups so you could swap out the Shimano ones if you decided on another crank mfg. Sadly Shimano doesnt really make a SS specific crank unless you count the Saint. Some mfg, raceface & FSA/Gravity, make cranks that have a removable spider for the small ring.

If your going for cheap, I would go with Truvativ Stylo 1x1 and Truvativ BB92 cups, together both can probably be had for cheaper than any comparable Shimano crank offering.

If your going 1x on front, use a single ring specific ring like the E13 guide ring, which is compatible with 7, 8, 9, 10 speed. Also since cranks are going to be 1x any crankset will work with 7-8-9-10.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'm hoping to just leave the BB as it is since it comes along with the frameset. If I go with the 5.7 I think I'll just ask the kind folks at Pivot what they recommend. The combination of looking at 9-speed v. 10-speed and 2x v. 1x, etc. is kind of starting to make my head hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    Thanks. I'm hoping to just leave the BB as it is since it comes along with the frameset. If I go with the 5.7 I think I'll just ask the kind folks at Pivot what they recommend. The combination of looking at 9-speed v. 10-speed and 2x v. 1x, etc. is kind of starting to make my head hurt.
    Here are my real thoughts on it:

Going 1x10 has been super tough for me. It was fine when the trails were dry but trying to mash up steep stuff even at 32 in the front and 36 in the back ends up making my back hurt after about an hour of riding. In the mud I have problems because it's just so much drag I get tired quicker. With a granny available my back won't start getting sore for 2 1/2 hours or so unless I land off a jump funny. And I don't have back problems....

Anyway, I really would go XT or XTR (or even SLX since they weigh the same as XT see weight weenies forum). You might as well buy the XTR since they are blowing them out at places like wheelworld, etc. Then buy a SS chainring (save your ramped ring for when you go to a double some other time or sell them off). I'm using an e.13 right now but there's a guy selling Salsa 32's on the BST right now for $12 so you might want to check one of those out - I just bought 2 from him.

Also, get some of the KMC re-useable 10 speed links. The SRAM ones aren't re-useable and if you are 1x10ing it you will break chains. I've broken my Shimano chain twice (or is it 3 times?) and I had another 10 speed chain break as well. 10 speed just doesn't seem to be as strong chain wise as 9 speed since I pretty much never break a 9 speed chain, even when 1x9ing it.
    "It looks flexy"

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    FD's are still cool...

I would go 2x10 on the bike - SRAM will be introducing - or has introduced a 2x10 crank 36x24 or even a 38x24 - so you can still climb up hills. If I were to go 2x10, I'd roll XTR and just remove the big ring and replace it with a bash guard 32x24 would work great!

Don't spend too much time hurting your head thinking about stuff like this - it keeps you form riding!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23
    I would go 2x10 on the bike - SRAM will be introducing - or has introduced a 2x10 crank 36x24 or even a 38x24 - so you can still climb up hills.
    Can anyone tell me why Shimano doesn't sell a 2x10 XT setup? I love the idea of a 2x10, less gear overlap, more usable gears without cross-chain problems. I don't understand why you'd buy a 3X10 setup? I haven't ridden one yet, but other than a 36 cog what is the advantage or a 3x9? I guess I can go XO but that is a big price jump from XT.

Black Lion
    keep your options open with the 2x10
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk
    Can anyone tell me why Shimano doesn't sell a 2x10 XT setup? I love the idea of a 2x10, less gear overlap, more usable gears without cross-chain problems. I don't understand why you'd buy a 3X10 setup? I haven't ridden one yet, but other than a 36 cog what is the advantage or a 3x9? I guess I can go XO but that is a big price jump from XT.
    You can get either the new XTR in 2x10:
    XTR LINK

or SLX which weighs the same as XT:
    SLX 2 Ring Crank

I could be wrong, but I think the SLX is a genuine 2 ring crank with what would normally be the middle and small rings pushed out a little for a rear 2x chainline.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good discussion.

For me it's like this. The trails that I like to ride are pretty bony in spots, lots of ledge and rocks, and my bike (06 SC Superlight) has a really low BB. After rounding the teeth off a couple of 44-tooth rings I stopped replacing them. Next, I noticed that the first 2 or 3 gear combos in the 22-tooth ring are pretty much useless to me - they're too low. That's how I got to 1x9, and yes - there is some grunting involved on the steepest climbs but I love the simplicity and I can still ride everything I rode before (actually more).

The problem with the new SRAM 2x10 is that there's no protection for the big ring, so if I keep riding the same way, even on a different bike, I expect I'm still going to trash the big ring. Then I'm left with a 26 or 28 only? That's worse than just keeping the middle ring on a 3x crank.

Thanks for the comments.

Pivotal figure
    davemk; I'm thinking Shimano will eventually offer XT versions of the 2x10 setup but it will take a little while (just like SRAM released XX first).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude