You down with entropy?

mach 5 or 5.7 sizing for 5'2"

Just looking for a quick idea on sizing. My wife tested out an XS mach 5 a ways back but the small was out and came back too late to take that one out.
    I think that the XS is the way to go but she is concerned after not being able to try out the Small

now the next issue is to try and get a mach 5 which she did like or a 5.7.....

thanks
    erik

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    The xs is the way to go for someone that short. It will fit someone 5'4" too. I thought the mach 5 was to heavy for someone on the shorter and lighter side of things. There are some other nice smaller framed bikes that are about a pound lighter in the frame then the mach 5 and perform as well. What kind of riding do you mainly do?

mtbr member
    I would say definitely xs. I am a shade taller than 5'6" and the small is just right for me with no excess standover clearance, etc. Unless she has really long legs and arms for a 5'2" person, I would have to think the small would be too big.

i also think (though I might be making this up) that the xs geometry is more female specific. i thought pivot sort of considered the xs mach 5 frame their "female" mach 5.

i've not ridden the 5.7, so i have no advice there. but i can tell you i think she'll be happy either way, 5 or 5.7....

You down with entropy?
    thanks for the re-assurance on sizing.
    For riding styles her current bike is a racer X, so that is less that confidence inspiring in certain situations (steep, sketchy downhills for one). While most of michigan her other bike is fine there are times when slacker geometry would be nice. So she is looking for a more stable bike.
    Also when traveling out of state. But in reality it might become her daily rider anyway. She is mostly interested in just trail riding, but also dose some endurance events and the other odd race. With her other bike still in service we were feeling a mach 4 might be a bit too much overlap and hard to justify. Well maybe if we got a killer deal on one and put a 120mm fork on it...

For other bikes she did try and like an El Guapo, well until the 3 mile gravel road slog back to the parking lot (it was built a shade on the heavier side). During the demo the small bikes were always out so the XS mach 5 she took out was maybe not as plush as a 6 inch bike but she said she did feel more confident in the techy stuff. Its too bad she could not have thrown a leg over one to help make up her mind.

thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think it depends on her leg length, inseam and arm length. I'm 5'3" and I have a Mach 5
    Small with an 80mm stem because a 22"ish top tube works for me. The XS would have meant a laid back seatpost and a longer stem to balance weight between the wheels.

I was also on a Racer X 100 before the Mach 5. My Mach 5 is only 26 lbs which for a 140mm bike is pretty good. The new 5.7 is a 1/2 pound lighter and with more drivetrain options it may be a good option.

The Mach 5 is a great XC AND a great trail bike. The extra travel is confidence inspiring compared to the Racer X which is for XC. The Mach 5 is nice and snappy on the climbs and you can rip it on the descents. The DW link and the Pivot has been the best thing I've ridden as someone who likes to climb.

I understand wanting to demo both sizes but maybe since it is the end of season she can wait to demo the 5.7 in the Spring. Or if she wants to try to get a deal on a Mach 5 now or this winter. I got mine from Speedgoat and they were great with helping me get the right fit on this and my previous long travel bike a Titus Moto Lite.

I think your wife will enjoy there one.

good luck!
    Cathy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam and I've been riding an XS Mach 5 for about a year now. I have a setback Thompson seat post (to get my knees and ankles aligned properly) and a 75 mm stem on mine and the bike is very well-balanced fore and aft. It's also just about the same size (standover and effective top tube length) as my S Santa Cruz Superlight.

This is a great bike - climbs superbly and has lots of control on descents. Bike weighs just under 25 lbs (XTR build).

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Is the Small a good fit for 5'6" with 30" inseam?

mtbr member
    Why not step up to a Firebird? My wife at 5' 3" is very comfortable on a small FB. She is running a 60 mm stem. I don't know her inseam but my guess is slightly over 28 ". They make great AM bikes when set up right.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    My wife is 5'3" and rides the XS, it's perfect for her.

We hope to have more Mach 5.7 in stock mid October.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    I'm 5'2" with a 29 1/2 " inseam and I ride an extra small 2010 Mach 5. I'll more than likely try a demo on the new 5.7 as I want to see how the changes feel. Otherwise sold on Pivot as this bike as increased my riding ability by a great deal...especially descending.