Thread: Mach 5 or 429?

mtbr member

Mach 5 or 429?

I am ready to make the Pivot leap.I have been riding a mid level 26 inch, med frame HT. for the past 3yrs.I am very intrigued by the 29er performance rolling over the rough stuff,but skeptical about its ability,(and mine) in climbing technical singletrack. The type of single track I normally ride is a mix of steep,rooted,rocky,sometimes tight switchbacks,and add the weather of the Pacific Northwest and,well,you get the idea.I am 52 yrs old,5'9 and 240lbs.I have a buddy that has a Mach 5 and I cannot believe the trails he can climb! He used to ride a HT and he swears its the bike thats made him a better climber! I would like to hear all comments,pros and cons on both bikes.Thank you.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I woudl go for the Mach 5. But I am bias becuase that is what I ride. I tested both the 5 and 429 back to back and the 5 rolled over the rough stuff just as well as the 429, I think becuase it has more travel it overcomes not having 29 inch wheels. I found that the 5 was easier to throw around under me when going through tighter stuff. and going from seated to standing was easier to on the 5. The 429 is very nice though and was quicker on the straight fire roads but most of my riding is on Single track with lots of tight turns and steep little climbs. The 5 climbs better then anything I have been on before. So far the bike has never been a reason I couldn't make a climb. I am running a SB8 tire on the back to with out any slipping problems, I have a Nevegal 2.35 up front. Both tubeless, and this really helps gripping when going over rocks and roots on steep switchbacked uphills. I do not think a 29er could make some of the 180 degree steep turns I can clear on the 5.

mtbr member
    If you are a fellow PNW'er, I'd say go for the new Mach 5.7 unless you are trying to get a deal on the old Mach 5. Plus you can "one up" your buddy that way
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The biggest benefit of the 429 is that the front end won't lift in the steeps like a 26. Not into sliding so forward on my seat to check my body temperature. The other benefit is traction. I've got mine setup all mountainish. Two chainrings & a bash guard. If your doing techy ledges etc., big chainring don't cut it. Good luck. J

Rider and Wrench
    I will start out with letting you know my bias toward the 429 since I own one and prefer 29" wheels for my riding.

A riding buddy who had an Ellsworth Epiphany hopped on my 429 and liked the pedal performance so much he had a mach 5 on his build stand within the next few weeks. We recently went out for a ride and swapped bikes for a short while just for kicks. The Mach 5 is still waiting for a newer fork but has a RS Revelation set at ~125mm possibly making it a bit twitchier than a 140mm would have and my Mach 429 has a Fox 120mm rather than the std issue 100mm making it a bit more stable among other possible less positive affects. I was surprised at how much I liked the feel and agility of the Mach 5 even though it is a large and my bike is a Medium (regardless of size most others I swapped with buddies for a bit I was counting the pedal strokes to get my own bike back). Weather it was the extra suspension or not it was very smooth over the roots etc... and I would have been happy riding it longer but it was a bit of a different animal altogether. My buddy for good or bad felt like the 429 was less twitchy and very stable- again the fork choice probably accentuated this trait on both bikes respectively along with the 29" wheels.

I am about your height jekramerjr51 and I mention the size because if you try to compare the TT on the Mach 5 vs the Mach 429 they don't line up too well- the 429 as other posts have mentioned has a relatively long top tube in comparison to other bikes - in this case the med 429 is 24" and the Med 5 is 23.2 - large 429 is 24.75 vs mach 5 24.2 (I would not stretch to a L by any means for my own bike with a Mach 5) For me the longer top tube translates into a slightly more stretched out xc position and a big plus for climbing. I lean toward XC trail, have a relatively long torso and am not as fond of the shorter top tube more up-right feel many 5" trail/all mountain bikes put me in, granted if you hit big air and want a super agile bike you can toss around it might be a better fit?

Beyond the forks on these two examples the lower BB height and the fact that the BB is below the center of the hubs adds to the stability of the 429 compared to the Mach 5 but increases the chance of pedal strikes in extreme terrain...

They are both at the top of the heap and I think the execution of DW link is well done in this case- like your friend points out on his 5 the 429 climbs like no other suspension bike I have owned (VPP etc..). so I think your in good shape either way there, if anything I prefer my 29ers in technical climbs. Especially coming from a hardtail, which some rear suspension can make out of the saddle climbs feel not so hot- so at least your on the right trail.

If you truly access the way you ride it might become a bit less fuzzy. I think the bikes shine in a bit different areas though do overlap depending upon how they are built up.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    I know I could put this in the 29er forum, but since you guys are comparing the Match 5 with the 429 (that I never rode... or riden a 29er!), I have some questions:
    1- Is it easier to popout the front end? Wheeling, Manual - I know it is a bit childish but I really like to have a good time in almost every ocasion (uphill... downhill... flat)
    2- Jumping with both, is there major difference since the wheels are bigger (inertia... etc?)
    3- I read a lot on confidence inspiring ride that you get from a 29er - is that a trail myth?
    4- On twisty, singletracks with berms and jumps - would a 26er be any better? Do you think the 29er has advantage?

No longer 26
    I think only #3 is more fact than myth. Usually more stable of a ride and not prone to feeling like you are going to endo.

I'd charactarize the others as just different. There may be advantages and disadvantages for the differences in wheel sizes. But manuals, twisty ST, jumping, is just a matter of adjusting to a new ride that feels different than the old one. imo anyway

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will address what I can, having owned a Mach 4 and now a 429

3. Confidence inspiring is the single best way to describe the ride of the 429. I am bombing down stuff like I never used to and keeping up with (or passing) guys on the downhills that used to leave me in the dust.
    4. Keeping honest, really tight and fast turning singletrack is the only place where I feel a permanent loss in speed compared to the Mach 4. Climbing with a 29er was slower at first but my legs have adjusted and are now stronger. Switchbacks are actually better on the 29er but the really fast turns in succession are what slow me down. Not a lot, but I have to pay a lot more attention or I'll end up offline.

Fat & Single
    2- On fast progressive jumps there is no difference , actually i feel more stable on my 429 ... on lippy jumps the longer wheelbase is definately on the disadvantage side IMO.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Just read this again and thought id comment on the rest of the points 1, 3 & 4 .... better in every way on a 29er IMO , thats why i ride one and thats why i ride a Pivot 429 .
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My husband had the same issue and went with the 429. He then ended up getting a deal and buying a Blur LT. He loves the Blur and now the 429 is collecting dust.

Probably depends on what size wheels you prefer. He had a 29er SS and was interested in 29" wheels but found that the 26" bike just worked better for him. He really likes the 429 just more comfortable with the Blur LT.

Maybe look for a Pivot demo in the Spring.