Bad Zen Master

Mach 429 Build Ideas

Last week I bought my wife a hard to find small 2010 Mach 429. Stock was pretty depleted the 2011s due in soon. After finding her's I started searching for one for me in medium. Then today I was informed by my Pivot dealer that they had a 2010 429 frame in my size. I snagged it and now it's time to start gathering build ideas.

I'm going for field tested and tough but somewhat light. I am also limiting my build costs to a sane level and the shop will be doing it.

I'm most interested in ideas on good routes for the following:

Fork:
    Wheels:
    Brakes:
    Crankset:
    Headset:

I'm fine with most everything being Shimano XT but since I'm starting with a base frame, I'd love to hear about well regarded alternatives.

mtbr member
    Well, when I eventually get mine, I'm going to put a Lefty fork on it. Probably Stan's wheels. The rest will be XT or X9 stuff.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I gotta Chris King InSet headset for sale, black. I also got an SLX and XT bolt-on front derailleur I have to unload. Moving up to SRAM XX.
    I got a Cane Creek external 44 XX so I could run a tapered steering tube fork. Which brings me to my next upgrade a Fox F29 FIT w/Terralogic.
    You're kind of limited to what you can use on the Pivot frames as far as headsets go.
    Cane Creek and King are solid headsets, either one will be great. Wheels, I would go I-9's with Stan's rims. You gotta stiff frame so you want some stiff wheels. I-9's are about as stiff as you can get.
    Forks, you have alot of choices now that you can run a tapered steerer. I had a Fox F100X w/Terralogic on my Blur years ago and loved it for my riding and racing needs. I never had a Rock Shox but I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with one.
    Before there were no PressFit BB available for any Truvativ cranks (they are different than Shimano) but since they now are, any crank combo is possible. I say you go 2x10 say X-9/X-7 combo of components.
    Brakes only slow you down (get my humor?), so really any brake is fine. If you want some x-tra power go with a 180mm rotor up front. Personally I have always ran 160's front and back. But if you want to save a few bucks, go with Avid BB7's. These are solid brakes, an awesome brake for the price.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

Rider and Wrench
    I built up a Med 429 a little while back and am loving it- We all have our preferences on this or that so I will toss a few idea's into the hat-

Fork: I would get either the Reba Team 20mm T/A or the Fox 120mm w/ 15mm Either can be run at either 120mm or 100mm, I currently run my bike at 120mm with at Fox Fit, I like the slightly slacker head tube angle and added BB clearance but can always put a spacer in the Fork if I want to spice up the steering any. The T/A 15 or 20mm just makes sense on a bike that is this stiff in the back end, especially with the ability to get a tapered fork on the 10'

Wheels: DON"T GO CHEAP HERE!!! I9's are great but might go beyond the "sane" spendy level you propsed.... I have a set of I9's on Flows and Hope Pro II on Flows- both are a nice wheelset but for the price the Hopes are top notch and they are pretty versitile- front can run qr, 9mm RWS, 15mm and 20mm rear can run qr or you can add a 10mm RWS or the like. If your looking at more xc and are not pushing the Clyde stature or don't plan on riding any huge rubber (they will do it but not as well as a wider rim) the Arch rims are a few grams lighter and ~3.5mm narrower

Brakes: I am liking the Elixir CR's- Formula are nice but I did not like the way they lined up with Shimano shifters (xtr) I could never find a spot in board or outboard that felt right... personal set up preference plays a big part...

Crankset: It must be said... you planning 9speed or 10 speed? 2X or 3X... I think the XT 770 crankset is tough to beat - and you can get it in either 9 or 10 speed configs-

Headset: Cane Creek...

I am getting ready to give Easton's new EC-70 385mm (flat version of the Monkeylite) wide flat bars a try on my 429, I had some low rise Easton's because they only made the Flats in narrow lengths before...

It is an awesome bike enjoy it!
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Bad Zen Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I built up a Med 429 a little while back and am loving it- We all have our preferences on this or that so I will toss a few idea's into the hat-

Fork: I would get either the Reba Team 20mm T/A or the Fox 120mm w/ 15mm Either can be run at either 120mm or 100mm, I currently run my bike at 120mm with at Fox Fit, I like the slightly slacker head tube angle and added BB clearance but can always put a spacer in the Fork if I want to spice up the steering any. The T/A 15 or 20mm just makes sense on a bike that is this stiff in the back end, especially with the ability to get a tapered fork on the 10'

Thanks for the insight. I'd dying to get this bike built up. I've looked at the RockShox site and it appears that all of the Rebas listed there are 130/140mm travel. Are you speaking of an older fork?

Bad Zen Master
    I've found the Reba shocks on Universal Cycle.

My next question is what hubs dimensions and variations are compatible for build-up with the 429 frame?

Rear: 135mm? 10mm, 12mm bolt?

Front: 100mm? 110mm? is that axle specific or frame specific?

Roll though this custom wheel building app at Universal Cycles to get an idea of what I'm asking. http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php Hit the "Start Building..." link.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles2go
    I've found the Reba shocks on Universal Cycle.

My next question is what hubs dimensions and variations are compatible for build-up with the 429 frame?

Rear: 135mm? 10mm, 12mm bolt?

Front: 100mm? 110mm? is that axle specific or frame specific?

Roll though this custom wheel building app at Universal Cycles to get an idea of what I'm asking. http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php Hit the "Start Building..." link.
    Sram's site mixes 26" and 29" with the Reba and for 2011 they changed the nomenclature of some of their offerings- The Reba 29" are available in 80mm, 100mm, 120mm (all basically one fork and you can swap spacers to get the travel you want), then they have a 90mm-120mm adjustable travel "u-turn" fork and new for 2011 the 130-140mm travel (internally with a spacer from what I have read...) it is 29er specific (26" goes to Revelation etc..)

For your frame the regular Reba at 100mm would be a good start but the RLT TI adds the black Box damping that the RL and RLT don't have, last year that was about it but I have not looked to far into 2011- I ran a 2009 Reba Team which is now basically the RLT TI and currently have a 2010 SL (now the RL or basic) and while both are 99% the same I like the external damping control on the RLT TI/TEAM as you can set up a threshold to resist bobbing and not worry about locking out. If you don't see yourself using it then the RL or RLT will work fine- you can get broader feedback on this in the suspension forum as far as differences of the Models. I run a Fox RLC FIT set at 120mm travel on my Pivot- I am used to Fox and like how it feels with the Pivot rear suspension, personal thing I guess.

Out back your rear drop outs are spaced at 135mm and can handle up to a 10mm axle, this is pretty much the standard for XC trail bikes. I chose to go with a rear hub (hope and I9) that can run a 10mm axle, I am using a DT swiss RWS but Hadley makes a nice bolt on option. This is a thru bolt set up NOT a though axle set-up like a 12mm Maxle etc... it does not bolt to the frame/drop out it simply replaces the 5mm std qr with a 10mm axle. I like to think it helps keep the back end together better but again opinions differ.

Up front your generally at 100mm or 110 Spacing the Dia of the axle you choose is what will decide the hub you need, 5mm qr, 9mm thru bolt (RWS), 15mm T/A, 20MM T/A (this goes to 110 spacing) or Maverick 24mm (if you choose a Maverick fork).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Well, when I eventually get mine, I'm going to put a Lefty fork on it. Probably Stan's wheels. The rest will be XT or X9 stuff.
    This.
    Hope brakes, or XTs.
    Go XT for cranks for sure, good weight + price.
    Wheels... mavic tn719 rims stiffer plus eyeletted for around weight of stans arch... my pref. if you don't want super light - hope or american classic hubs.

Lefty or if you must, a reba - i'm falling further out of love with my fox every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

change is good
    Sep 2004
    wheels: Enve AM/240s/Aerolite
    rear: 10mm
    fork: Reba 120mm Maxle, may set it to 110mm
    headset: Cane Creek 110
    crank: XT, will go to XTR or XT 2x10
    brakes: The Ones

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon
    wheels: Enve AM/240s/Aerolite
    rear: 10mm
    fork: Reba 120mm Maxle, may set it to 110mm
    headset: Cane Creek 110
    crank: XT, will go to XTR or XT 2x10
    brakes: The Ones
    FTW! Similar to what I'm running on my 429, and it's great.

Bad Zen Master
    Let the build begin.

Endurance is my specialty and that's what this bike is going to be geared for.

RockShox is out because I want to be able to use the wheels off my wife's bike and so she can use mine, or during a race we have one set of spare wheels and either of us can use them. 15mm TA required.

Known:
    Medium Pivot 429 Frame
    Fox 32 Talas 29 Fork
    DT 240s Hubs / DT X470 Rims
    Full Shimano XT Component Group (2010/9spd)

Deciding on the other bits:
    Seat Post: Likely a Thomson
    Saddle: Whatever works that the shop has or that I have sitting around
    Stem: Likely a Thomson or similar
    Bar: Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 XC Flat 680mm or Ritchey Pro Flat 660mm or...
    Pretty close to a 2010 factory XT build with a 2011 fork.

The shop doing the build is tied up with other work this weekend so I borrowed the frame to get these shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 429 Build Ideas-rwp_3106.jpg  

High Country Colorado
    www.fullyloadedtouring.com

Rider and Wrench
    Looks kida familiar...
    First picture is a bit older with XT Cranks and Hope/Arch wheels the second is a bit more current with XTR cranks and i9/flow wheels

Have a blast building it up-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 429 Build Ideas-429.jpg  

Mach 429 Build Ideas-429-2.jpg  

Bad Zen Master
    Thanks. Nice looking 429. Are those Specialized tires? I like the tread pattern of the front one.

You have the same seatpost I was planning to order but I wonder about the length. How tall are you or what's your inseam length, and what length is the post? I'm nearly 5'11".

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 429 Build Ideas-rwp_3138.jpg  

High Country Colorado

Rider and Wrench
    Thanks it is an awesome bike- suits my local trails very well-

The Post is 350mm long, which as far as I am aware is the only length available in the Masterpiece vs the Elite which come in up to 410mm- I am about 5' 9" and have an inseam of about 30", I run the seat ~68-72cm from center of BB to top of seat.

Both Tires are Specy Captain Controls- the front is a 2.2 and the rear a 2.0- I have a bad tire habbit and like to try out new ones pretty often- I am not a huge Specy fan overall (no real reason really) These are a great all around tire, fairly light, roll well, brake well, climb well and offer very good traction up front. The only time I don't like them is if I try to lean them over too far, compared to say an Ardent which seems to do better leaned over- But for tight singletrack where you are not able to lay the bike over too far the Captains are quite impressive- By the way these have performed I will be trying some other Specy tires in the future-

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Im curious. I am 5'9" as well and decided to go with the small frame. Did you try a small and feel better on the medium? Nice build btw.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Im curious. I am 5'9" as well and decided to go with the small frame. Did you try a small and feel better on the medium? Nice build btw.
    Thanks, I have been “collecting” the parts over the past few years on various frame build ups, now that I have it just as I want it… the big “S’s” decide to go to 10 speed… and everyone seems to be going to tapered steer tubes, and I thought computers went out of date fast!

Sizing wise I was not able to put my leg over a small, so it was more a matter of comparing it to other frames I have owned and my preferences- I have a relatively short inseam, but long torso, arms and fairly broad shoulders so tend to feel more comfortable on a slightly longer top tube. I also ride mostly XC with very little time spent in the air or super technical down hills where a smaller size might be beneficial. On paper the Pivot 429 in a size small has a stand over of 29.25 vs a 29.50 on a medium- very little difference compared to the top tubes which are are 23" and 24" respectively. For my xc oriented ride style and longer upper body proportions I felt the medium was a better choice, had I been able to actually ride both side by side I am not sure which direction I would have gone. I can’t feel any issues as far as un-even weight distribution, traction loss or general discomfort so I guess until I get a chance to ride a small I just may not know any better…or maybe I just have a Napoleon complex?

Peace,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Haha. I ride mostly XC as well, I would say my inseam versus my torso are pretty even. I just felt I was able to flick the smaller frame easier on tight singletrack. Enjoy the bike, I love mine more and more with each ride.

Bad Zen Master
    Done. Well, almost. I have a temp bar and stem on while I wait for my bar to finally come in. A test ride would be nice too but as they say, "Oh the weather outside is frightful." Thought about a quick 2 day trip to Moab but we're in skiing mode at this point.

Happy Holidays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 429 Build Ideas-rwp_3626f.jpg  

High Country Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't think there is a single thing I would change on that bike if I was building it myself (except the bar, stem, pedals).

Nice work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erlau
    I don't think there is a single thing I would change on that bike if I was building it myself (except the bar, stem, pedals).

Nice work.
    That's three by my count.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    There is not a single thing I would change either except the shifters, handlebars, stem, fork, Rear Derailliur, grips, cables, tires, Chain, cassette, and the frame color. Oh Yeah and the headset, and the brakes and the pedals. But other then that there is not a single thing I would change, Honestly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow. That looks like an amazing bike.