mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Mach 4 vs Mach 5.7 vs Firebird for an all around bike for a Clydesdale...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good Trail/AM bike for a big guy. My LBS is a Trek, Pivot, Intense dealer so I'm looking at all of those. They want to start me off on a Fuel EX 8, but I think I'll want a lil more AM bike than that. So after I get back into shape a lil bit, I would probably upgrade to something in this Pivot lineup or the Intense Tracer 275. What are your thoughts about these bikes for a bigger guy (6'5 currently 350# target range 250-275#)? Thanks for any feedback.

dog
    sit! stay!
    what about the FB with coil
    shock? you can drop spring weights as you lose weight...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Mach 4 vs Mach 5.7 vs Firebird for an all around bike for a Clydesdale...

That's actually the one I'm leaning towards. I'm liking the idea of 160+ mm of travel and still able to pedal uphill. I think it'll come down to the FB or the Intense Uzzi.

Pretty sure either way I go I'll need a CC Double Barrel coil or air shock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    +1 for FB. coil shock and fork. I would get Saint cranks(or SLX because of the steel granny gear) , DH bars, rear wheel with steel cassette body, Thomson elite seatpost.

And get a good bike fit at your LBS!

ZEN RIDER!
    I've owned 2 Intense & i'd go Firebird with no hesitation. In fact I did
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    I've owned 2 Intense & i'd go Firebird with no hesitation. In fact I did
    Good to know. My LBS deals with Trek, Pivot and Intense afaik. I saw a Mach 4 there today, maybe I'll see if they can get a FB in stock for me to test ride. I just hope it's under 5k, haha.

mtbr member
    Mach 4 is an XC bike and has the wrong geo if you're more AM oriented. The walls on the Treks are too thin - you'll flex the hell out of it. At 6'5 with a target of 275, I'd agree with the other folks and go with the FB. It has the geo you want and is the burliest of the group. You'll need the ALU rocker if you want to go the CCDB route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Mach 4 is an XC bike and has the wrong geo if you're more AM oriented. The walls on the Treks are too thin - you'll flex the hell out of it. At 6'5 with a target of 275, I'd agree with the other folks and go with the FB. It has the geo you want and is the burliest of the group. You'll need the ALU rocker if you want to go the CCDB route.
    Thanks, yeah the more I think of it I'll probably aim for the FB. Don't think I'll be able to pedal the Phoenix everywhere or I'd consider it. Only thing else I can think of would be the Intense Uzzi, but that might even be too much DH for me.