Thread: Mach 4 ride ?

valgal

Mach 4 ride ?

Greeting! So I just came off of testing three bikes I am considering- anthem, blur xcc, and of course the mach 4. It was quite obvious to me that the mach 4 four felt much more rigid than the other two, I mean it felt rough on the trail. I know that the frame is stiff XC race ready which is what I want but I need to be comfortable too as only one bike is in the budget. The anthem and the blur felt like full on trail bikes in comparison. My question - is this normal or maybe the suspension was out of wack or what I don't know. The bike was turned for me by the pivot wrenches at interbike so I don't know what to think. I was in such a hurry post ride that I forgot to ask this ? So, I am hoping that some of you Mach 4 owners could shed some light here. Thanks.

ZEN RIDER!
    My Dad owns a Mach 4 & it is a very stiff & capable xc race bike.
    I ride in NE & it handles chunk well for an xc rig. My first impression was
    that for a 4" bike it felt very smooth & I was impressed with the DW suspension.
    It does have a quick xc race spring curve-very quick, well atleast compared to my AM rig.
    Its a go bike for sure.
    Sounds like the sag wasn't set up properly.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had one and now ride the 429. In my opinion, both bikes tend to feel more firm than the competition, which in my opinion is the draw. I want something as close to a hardtail as possible in terms of efficiency that has just enough suspension to take the edge off the rough stuff and keep the tire in contact with the trail.

You will probably get a lot of feedback that the sag wasn't set right which is entirely possible. So, if it's close between the Mach 4 and the others I would give it another shot and focus on getting the sag set right. Having said that, these bikes are about pedaling efficiency, not squish.

c'est la vie

I would give the Mach 4 another chance.

Demoing often is rushed and the set up is compromised as a result.

Coming from a background of riding Epics and Truths, the PM4 when set up properly gives a near perfect balance of firm efficient pedaling, handling, and bump absorption. In fact, the rougher the terrain the more advantage you likely will have. If you have another chance make sure there is 30% sag (15mm) on the rear shock and between 25~30mm sag on the fork. On a Fox RLC fork, make sure to totally back off the compression (blue dial) otherwise the ride will be rough. I was lucky, I was able to demo a PM4 over a few days to make sure the recommended setting were made.

Hope this helps.
    "If I should die darling in your arms, what a lovely way to go..." Don Felder -All of You

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    FWIW I had the same experience when I demo'd an Epic. As previously mentioned, I think the demo guys are a little rushed and just use some basic guidelines.

My Mach 4 feels pretty rigid with ProPedal on (which I like for efficiency), but with the proper sag, tire pressure, and PP off, it feels pretty smooth. Maybe not "plush", but comfy enough. Agreed on the perfect balance comment earlier.