mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Mach 4 build starting...

Hi all,

First time poster but long time lurker. I pulled the trigger on a 2011 Mach 4 last Friday. Its going to take till mid/end Feb as HQ says there is no more stock. In the meantime, I'm putting together a build list. I mostly ride XC, lots of hillclimbs so I am admittedly a bit of a weight weenie, though durability is still tops.

Here's what I have so far for my build.

2011 Pivot Mach 4 in white/large
    I9 XC wheels (Orange RIms/Sliver Spokes/Orange Hubs)
    SRAM XX everything
    Fox F100 15QR Remote Lockout
    Formula R1 160 f/r with MIXmaster and Ti rotor bolts
    Time ATAC XS Carbon Ti pedals
    Rockshox Reverb 30.9 mm
    Fizik Gobi or Aliante XM
    Easton or Answer Bar/Stem

Any comments would be welcome. Its my first high end build. I'm quite interested in a Lefty for the Mach 4, but I'm wondering how durable they are. That would mean I would need to get all my front wheels lefty setup right?

By the way, great board and thanks for any advice.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great build. I've only heard great things about the lefty. I've only ridden a lefty once, and I really liked it. Still looks weird to me while hanging in the stand, once on the trail I didn't notice the queerness of it though.
    Last edited by GhisalloWheels; 01-24-2011 at 04:13 AM.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Consider Tricons, which you can get through Pivot at package discount if you are getting a whole bike and substituting a few parts vs getting the frame. And even if you are getting a frame, have your lbs find out if they can still get a package price for the rims. Also, you might increase rotor size on the front depending on the kind of riding you do. You probably have thought about 120 vs 100 on front fork? I would lean towards 120, but again, it depends on the riding you do. For Easton the 90 is the good stuff, but you pay for it. Many go with Thomson Masterpiece for seat support as carbon there is still a bit concerning to some .

Very good choices, I'm running the R1s and loving it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I changed my mind and I'm going for the Cobalt blue M4 Large SRAM XX build. The package saves me a bundle. Only thing I'm changing is probably the grips (ergons I think) and the brakes (Formula R1 with mixmaster adapters) and the TIME Atac pedals.

I was a little bit unsure of the Cobalt blue color as the ones I've seen pics of have varied in tone. Till I was told by my dealer that the blue has been changed this year and its a little darker and more metallic which I like. Anyone have any pictures of the blue 2011 M4?

I do a lot of hillclimbs and I will be entering the Tour de TImor this year. I'm thinking 180f/160r. My LBS has been pushing the 2011 XTR Trail. Apparently they feel its better than the R1s. Without having tried them the only reason I would consider the XTRs would be because they seem to need a little less maintenance then the R1s which I've read can be a little finicky with their setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Once setup R1s are great. My lbs does wince a tiny bit each time I ask for something to be changed on them, but once set up they have required basically no fiddling after that. Just when changing out brake pads and the story below. And I had a lot of miles last year...

Their cabling seems to be a bit stronger than most. I ran into some stuff, bike went flying and all that. The brake cable caught on something and was tweaked really badly. The little things that hold it down to the front fork broke off, and the rest of the ride the cable was a gigantic round thing sticking out in front of me. (Always carry zip ties with you on adventure rides!)

Anyhow the guy at the bike store said another cable may have broke and said the R1 cables are super-crazy tough. I don't remember the details, but they do something different than other companies on the cable itself. As I was able to use the brake the rest of the way home on that ride (still had 4+ hrs to go, half on really really tough downhill) I was quite happy about that.

I agree on the package - it really saves a bundle. Check out the Tricons, though, its available as an in-package upgrade. They are amazing. Nothing else is that stiff at that weight and rim width. It weighs as much as many road wheels. Only carbon wheels compete with it and its even lighter than some of the Carbon wheels, or within 30/40 grams.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The SRAM XX package comes with the DT Swiss Tricon 1500. My lbs says they are probably custom to Pivot. Are these the ones you're talking about? I haven't seen an option for a in-package upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hmm, I think I'm going with the new XTR and DT Tricon 1500 wheel upgrade. I'm just wondering if the brakes are XTR Trail or Race....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah - that is right.

No, anyone can get them. (Not exactly sure what 'probably custom to Pivot means, but if it means only on a Pivot, then, no.) They are just so expensive that some want to get carbon instead - the cheapest carbon rims are in close price range, but seem to be the best alu rims depending on what your biking goals are.

They haven't sold a lot of units - probably some stores don't know they exist, but are amazing. I had one of the earlier units and couldn't be happier. The weight, stiffness, and width are the main selling points.

Hey - so you aren't caught off guard by this - they use a much higher spoke tension than a lot of wheels, and the whole design was very new, so for a while DT didn't let any bike stores work on them, you had to send them back to DT for *any* truing. They just changed that policy (whew!) but I think the lbs has to buy something unique to work on them. (Mavic also has a wheel that they require the lbs to send to them.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    @ lightminer: Really appreciate the information on the wheels. The wheelset that comes with the bike is the Tricon 1500. I haven't been able to find much information on them. DT site only has the 1550, which is why my lbs mentioned they may be a custom build for Pivot or other OEMs. I'm mainly XC, hillclimbs, some light trail riding. Not going to be doing 5 ft drops off them so i think they should be fine. Do you know if they comes tubeless from the factory?

So it seems like my final spec list is now:

2011 Pivot M4 Cobalt blue in large XTR build
    XTR groupset with 40/28T double in the front
    XTR Trail brakes
    Syntace carbon riser 780mm bar
    Syntace F119 stem
    Syntace P6 post
    DT Swiss Tricon 1500 wheelset
    WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
    Either Kenda Nevegal or Small Block 8
    Time ATAC XS Carbon Ti pedals

Fun part is over, now the wait....

mtbr member

I'm waiting as well

Ordered a black Mach 4 frame end of Nov and still waiting delivery. I've all my parts assembled as well

Fox RLC 120
    Formula R1 180/160
    mix of XO and XT crankset
    Chris King hubs on Stans Crest rims
    Thomson Masterpiece, stem and EC70 wide bars

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I see - yeah - I'm not familiar with 1500 either, hmmm... They way the 1550s are built, I doubt they could easily change something and make them cheaper, it really is a unit. The 1700s, if I understand right, are 'cheaper' but still use the overall 1550 build - that is a 'one level down' version. Maybe just rebranding and that is it - OEM as you say... If you call Pivot they will probably tell you if it is just a number change. I did get my 1550s from Pivot, but that was over a year ago now.

I'm not sure, but they advertise the Tricons as AM wheels, so if you have enough susp and land well, they can probably handle 5 foot drops! They are not considered 'lightweight' in terms of what they can do! It really is amazing. Well, 5 is a lot though. 4 maybe .

One option people don't know about is if you want a quick engagement with a tiny bit more drag (most modern wheels are doing this now) you can replace parts in the rear hub from DT. But as they come they are low friction, I think 15 degree engagement vs 7 or 9 with the other option.

They are indeed very tubeless - in fact I have a hell of a time changing tires. I had a flat on a ride and spent 45 minutes fixing it because it was so hard to get the tire off... No rim strip required either. DT didn't pay whatever group money to have them officially labelled UST, but they are very tubeless ready. I've done both and personally prefer latex tubes but only because I can then change tires easily for different conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    @ Strong Ti: Ouch, tough wait. Not sure where you are but hopefully its winter and you can't ride anyway. Any news on when its coming? I went with the blue bec it was available. If not i would have waited for the white which would have been mid Mar. What made you go with the 120 fork?

@ Lightminer: I've just had a run of bad luck lately. Gotten 5 maybe 6 flats in 10 rides. My tires are tired though so i will be changing them out. I won't really need to run different tires so I think I'm going to give tubeless a go. Just have to get a good set of alloy levers that I hopefully won't have a chance to use...

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene46
    @ lightminer: Really appreciate the information on the wheels. The wheelset that comes with the bike is the Tricon 1500. I haven't been able to find much information on them. DT site only has the 1550, which is why my lbs mentioned they may be a custom build for Pivot or other OEMs.
    The DT Tricon wheels we spec are indeed the 1550's. It looks like the specs on the website need to be updated. I'll talk to our marketing guy today and see if we can get that updated.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here