dog
    sit! stay!

looking for M4X suspension ideas...

OK, i realize that some of the ideas i am presenting here appear to be self-defeating, but...

i have been considering how i use my M4X for trail mostly these days, and by trail i do not mean machine cut, buff goodness, but naturally rooty and rocky, etc. That said, i tend to stick with less rooty and rocky trail options when using my M4X, in any event, which is fine with me. What i was considering was how to make the bike slightly more friendly to such trails. I am using a Fox 831 and have tried simply using less air. Even with that, the fork seems to maintain its very stiff feel (as it should).

i know i can't have it totally both ways, and the M4X was naturally designed to have a very stiff suspension, but i really like the M4X's geometry as a trail bike (weird, i know) and was just wondering if anyone out there had tried any ideas for forks or even possibly the entire suspension redos to get a more trailish feel out of it. Yes, i realize that could be self defeating and may be a flawed concept to even consider, but was curious if anyone had any ideas.
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    Just ride a hard tail for a week. That'll make the 4X feel like a DH rig afterward
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    OK, you win. i guess i'm just feeling old a brittle. i'll stick with adjusting the air in the fork and smoother trails

Pivotal figure
    You could try changing the 831 to 120mm for a bit more cushion. Couple of guys did that with their bikes and liked it. I prefer the handling at 100mm so that's where I left mine.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    i already had mine at 110mm, so i tried really dropping the air down (by 10 lbs form where i had it for "trail"). It actually helped a lot on the "plushness", but it also felt kinda divey so i tried increasing the rebound speed a little, and it felt better. so i am thinking about trying taking some air out of the shock etc. to see if that helps balance a little more. The nice thing about this way is that it's just a few adjustments to get it back to its intended operation