mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Looking into Mach 429 Carbon need shorter rider input!!

I currently own 2 mountain bikes the Ventana El Padrino 29er Hardtail and the Ventana El Bastardo 650B Full Suspension. I really like both these bikes alot but seem to enjoy the Padrino a tad more. I am not sure if it is the 29" wheels over the 650b or the fact that it is a Hardtail. I am 5' 6" and weigh 170. So looking at my size you would think the 650b would be the perfect wheel size. What I notice about the Padrino that I like more is believe it or not it seems to accelerate faster than the 650b. Even from a dead stop. All my riding is in Michigan which is almost exclusively XC riding. I mostly ride Pontiac Lakes which is very rocky and has alot of tree roots. There is one killer hill that is at the 2 mile mark and a few other hills but nothing like you would see out west. To be honest I don't really need a new bike just got the itch. If I do get a new bike I want it to be Carbon. I was thinking of looking into the Mach 429 Carbon. However I am alittle concerned about my height. I am at the bottom end of the spectrum for a size small frame according to the Pivot website. They have the small frames listed at 5' 6" - 5' 10". Anybody my size ride the 429? If so what do you think?

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

We are all waiting

for them to be released. Any day now

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

we are all waiting for

them to be released. any day now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok so I jumped the gun on the Carbon. What about the 429 Alum? At least I could get that info.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and have a medium. You definitely want a small.

From Pivot's website:
    Mach 429 Carbon
    Small: 5'6"-5'10"
    Med: 5'9"-6'1"
    Large: 6'1"-6'4"
    X-large: 6'3" +

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would think you'd fit on a small, but would suggest going into a dealer and test riding one first. I've heard that there are some slight differences in the geometry between the aluminum and carbon, but the top tube length and cockpits are still the same. So you can try out a small aluminum and know the carbon will feel the same. It sounds like dealers are getting their shipments of the carbon bikes everyday now, so you could have a new carbon ride before the snow melts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    them to be released. any day now.
    They have arrived. Should see them in shops as early as next week.

OP - You want a size small sir.

Have a good day
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    To everyone who has replied thanks a bunch. I know I need a size small. My question wasn't what size I need my question was for those who are my size how does the bike ride? I have found that 29er's have to be built right to work for smaller guys like myself. My El Padrino works perfectly but I have been on other 29ers that don't work for smaller guys.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone out there 5'5-5'6" and riding a small? Do you feel very stretched out or anything? Also, what mm stem are you running?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am 5'3" and just purchased and started racing a small 429 Carbon. I love it! It is super rocky where I ride and I am blown away with how well this bike rides. I have very short legs and very long arms, so the 23" TT and low SO work well for me. I did have to raise my handlebar a tad from my normal riding position to find the front end lifting balance spot since I am so small, but this bike can descend and climb!

My teammate is 5'8" and rides the same bike in the same size with a riser stem. She loves hers as well.

Please keep in mind that I am an unusual fit. I only mention b/c I think this bike should be fit to TT length needs, not height, but in doing so, keep in mind that as you raise the saddle, you also stretch the cockpit, and in my case shrink it with short legs. I did a test ride, which sold me on the bike.