slow uphill

New question here. Long Crank Arms on 429

I have 175mm crank arms on my XL 429 - anyone have experience with 180mm or maybe even 185mm?

I'm thinking of going to 180mm but am worried about strikes. The 175mms hit every now and then on really rocky or twisty trails.

It may be I just need to work on pedal management - but assuming I get my skill up to an intermediate level, is the BB high enough to support 180mm crank arms?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

180mm

Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    I have 175mm crank arms on my XL 429 - anyone have experience with 180mm or maybe even 185mm?

I'm thinking of going to 180mm but am worried about strikes. The 175mms hit every now and then on really rocky or twisty trails.

It may be I just need to work on pedal management - but assuming I get my skill up to an intermediate level, is the BB high enough to support 180mm crank arms?

Thanks
    The stock XT kit for the XL from Pivot comes with180mm cranks. They work, have to watch pedal strikes in some areas...

mtbr member
    I have been running 180 XT cranks on my first gen XL (25" TT) since new. They work fine, but as mentioned above, you have to time your pedal strokes a bit more. It took a little bit of time to get used to but it quickly becomes second nature.

mtbr member
    remember that a longer crank raises your knee higher at the top of the stroke. this is not the best thing for shorter legs. kinda like dropping your seat a bit. long leg riders will gain the most from the increased leverage of a longer crank. the spin circle is also larger, and may feel a bit slow in the pedal coming around. this also is less noticeable if your legs are long. before spending the big bucks it would pay to test ride the 180's. good luck.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!