mtbr member

A little stem help please

I'm putting a Fox 180 on my F-bird with a low stack headset. Will set up pretty much just like my 170 fork does with the regular headset. So I've been running a 1.5 gravity light 60mm. It's great but they only make 50mm and 70mm in the 1.125 version
    They have a cheaper heavier one called the Gravity Gap in 60mm. They are like $30.

So any other suggestions? NO Thompson - I've had bad luck with them digging into my handlebars.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    I'm digging my RaceFace D2. It's solid and has a fairly low stack height. The new Gravity stuff is pretty nice too. Mine's a 70mm, that's been a decent length for climbing and descents (shorter would be nice for DH but climbing gets to be a bit tougher)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Another option I was thinking about is going to a real short 45mm stem on the Nomad (which is a little longer TT than the FB anyway) and 50mm on the 'bird.

I haven't run that short a stem before - what does it do when you try to climb? Lift the front?
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    Check out Truvativ, they make the AKA, Stylo and Holzfeller all in 60mm, 1.125.

Pivotal figure
    Super short stems will definitely make the front end wander and lift on climbs. You can still ride but will end up way on the nose of the saddle for any significant incline. The payoff comes on the descent but you'll have to decide if it's worth it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    clay-rocking a 50mm Diety Phantom on my Large Bird and am loving it.