Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

That little Direct mount space...cover it up?

28K views 148 replies 36 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
i've seen Pivot has a derailleur mount cap but WHAT!? $35 for an inch square piece of aluminum! Screw that!

Ibis has one for $5. Great now shipping costs same as the part.

I think I'll just use a sticker or leave it bare.

#2 ·
I emailed Pivot and was really disappointed when they told me it would be $35 for this part. I can't believe you pay $3k for a frame or over twice that for a bike and a part like this would not be included with the bike. It isn't as if less than 10% of buyers are using single rings and there wouldn't be a demand for this part. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth and is a poor decision on their part.

#11 ·
You would think if you spent $3k on a frame, they would add such a small part. Love my bike, just leaves a sour taste in my mouth to get nickel and dimed for something like this. I spent $1k on a Pike fork and they throw in a pump AND a complete rebuild kit, which is worth far more than this part. That is a nice surprise and makes me feel good about my purchase. Just throwing feedback out here from an owner.

#17 ·
Vik you are awesome. Don't have a 3D scanner but it should be consistent across all frames that are direct mount from any manufacturer. I would happily pay $10 for one if you end up making them.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
If I do it. It will be free.

I don't have access to a M6 to scan. I have a 3D scanner I just need the part for 1 day in my hands. If someone with that part can take it to a modern high end machine shop they'll likely have a scanner. Should only take them 5 mins and a six pack of craft beer to scan and I'll do all the post scan clean up. Just Dropbox me the file.

The part I make would be carbon, but you could paint it blue to match your M6 if you don't have a black one. I can CNC a bunch of those parts out of 1 sheet of carbon so it won't be an epic hassle.

PM me for my contact details if you can get a scan happening or if you want to mail me your cover for 1 day to help the M6 community.

#23 ·
You can put a bolt into the threads without the cover so it's just for aesthetics.

If you spend $3K+ for a bike frame - having it look finished is a reasonable expectation.

What's ridiculous is Pivot charging $35 for the part. Just include it with the frame.

Nobody will care if a $3300 frame costs $3265 or $3335 and if they included them with each frame the volume and less handling should knock that $35 cost way down.

OTOH charge somebody $3300 for a frame and then later as they build the bike have them realize that they need to spend $35 more for a small part that should be included with the bike results in a pissed off customer.

I bought a $700 Surly frame they included a bunch of small metal parts req'd to set up the bike in various configurations that not all customers would need, but by including the frame was complete.

Heck I bought a $299 On One frame and it came with multiple dropouts so you could setup the bike in various ways. Most customers probably won't use 'em, but they included them.

From a PR point of view it boggles the mind that you would sell one of the most expensive frames in its category and not include that part.

#24 ·
Yep, agree on it being a little lame. Some frame manufacturers ship frames with seat post collar some don't. Heck when i bought a Banshee frame it shipped with a spare derailleur hanger, seat post collar and seat post (and self destructing pivots). I was frustrated with Pivot customer service when my shock bolt broke. It took 4 weeks to get a new one. I called Pivot up and they made me go through the shop I bought the frame from. The shop is in Utah and I am in NJ. So the bolt had to go to UT from AZ and then NJ. Turner or Knolly would have sent one in the mail straight away direct to me. I broke rockers once and Turner overnighted the replacements to me.

#25 ·
To make things easier...instead of 3D scanning can someone who has that little cover and a set of decent calipers measure all the dimensions [including the location and size of the hole] for me?

I can work with that.

Measure a few times and send me all the results. I'll average out the errors.

Close up photos of both sides wouldn't hurt either.

#26 ·
Thanks again Vik for taking this on. Your viewpoint is the same as mine. I didn't even realize I needed this part until I received the frame. They really should just include it, and yes, even adding to the price to include this piece is far better than having to call up and figure out you need to spend $35 more. These little things go a long ways towards customer service. I don't even mind ordering a replacement hanger as this is a replacement part. But having to buy a part to cover up an unfinished looking area is quite another issue.

#28 ·
Yes! I will only need it for a day or two and I will send it back your way. :) :thumbsup:

PM me for a mailing addy.

My boss was just saying the other day no point having all these machines/tools if we can't do something fun with them occasionally! He's a RC jet plane hobbyist so he'll "get" why we need to make this part. :cool:

#34 ·
Great discussions fellas.

vikb, that's awesome you're offering these to us. I would like one too if that's okay.

It's just too bad Pivot didn't include these little pieces. Or at least charge a fair price, which obviously $35 doesn't seem fair to most of us Pivot owners who forked over $3k on a frame. OUCH!

#41 ·
FWIW - I chatted with a LBS Pivot dealer up here in the Great White North and they said they would provide that cover with the frame. However, it's unclear to me if they would just be buying the cover and taking the loss on it or if that's any change in policy regarding the small parts provided with the frame only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.