Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That little Direct mount space...cover it up?

i've seen Pivot has a derailleur mount cap but WHAT!? $35 for an inch square piece of aluminum! Screw that!

Ibis has one for $5. Great now shipping costs same as the part.

I think I'll just use a sticker or leave it bare.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I emailed Pivot and was really disappointed when they told me it would be $35 for this part. I can't believe you pay $3k for a frame or over twice that for a bike and a part like this would not be included with the bike. It isn't as if less than 10% of buyers are using single rings and there wouldn't be a demand for this part. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth and is a poor decision on their part.

mtbr member

Re: That little Direct mount space...cover it up?

Here is an entire derailleur for $17.95. You could paint it black and write "enduro chain guide" on it, and have money left over for a bottle of Allagash Curieaux.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/SRAM...FQZrfgodGQ8ADA

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Someone could probably make a few K by making some plastic caps and selling them for $5 in colors...

Just sayin in case anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The shop I got my bike through ordered it and then let me have it at cost...he didn't feel it was right to mark it up....SOLID!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I cut up a piece from old phone silicone case + double tape. Its been there for over a year now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    SO if I order an XX1 or XO1 will the cover come with the bike, or do I have to purchase it?

Pivotal figure
    Yep, the cover is part of the kit and will come with the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    SO if I order an XX1 or XO1 will the cover come with the bike, or do I have to purchase it?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dang. That's it. I just needed to order the complete most expensive package in order to get the same cover that they want to charge me $35 for.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yep, the cover is part of the kit and will come with the bike.
    Do frames bought a la carte come with it?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You would think if you spent $3k on a frame, they would add such a small part. Love my bike, just leaves a sour taste in my mouth to get nickel and dimed for something like this. I spent $1k on a Pike fork and they throw in a pump AND a complete rebuild kit, which is worth far more than this part. That is a nice surprise and makes me feel good about my purchase. Just throwing feedback out here from an owner.

mtbr member
    It did not come with my frame...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Didn't come with my frame. But in this part of the world, even shock pump we have to buy separately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    It did not come with my frame...
    Lame
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If anyone has a 3D scanner and one of those covers. I have access to a CNC machine and carbon fiber layup shop.

Maybe we can make some magic.

I wouldn't sell them. I wouldn't even charge shipping just to highlight how lame it is of Pivot to sell a $3.3K frame without that bit included.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vik you are awesome. Don't have a 3D scanner but it should be consistent across all frames that are direct mount from any manufacturer. I would happily pay $10 for one if you end up making them.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Vik you are awesome. Don't have a 3D scanner but it should be consistent across all frames that are direct mount from any manufacturer. I would happily pay $10 for one if you end up making them.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    If I do it. It will be free.

I don't have access to a M6 to scan. I have a 3D scanner I just need the part for 1 day in my hands. If someone with that part can take it to a modern high end machine shop they'll likely have a scanner. Should only take them 5 mins and a six pack of craft beer to scan and I'll do all the post scan clean up. Just Dropbox me the file.

The part I make would be carbon, but you could paint it blue to match your M6 if you don't have a black one. I can CNC a bunch of those parts out of 1 sheet of carbon so it won't be an epic hassle.

PM me for my contact details if you can get a scan happening or if you want to mail me your cover for 1 day to help the M6 community.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Do frames bought a la carte come with it?
    No it does not come with the frame. It only comes with the complete bike build of XX1, or XO1.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Vik, maybe Pivot would let you borrow one as a good faith measure? Keep us in the loop, would be happy to send you some beer money for doing this. Very cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Vik, maybe Pivot would let you borrow one as a good faith measure? Keep us in the loop, would be happy to send you some beer money for doing this. Very cool!
    LOL - I'm sure they read this forum so if they want to send me one I'll send it back after scanning it [heck send me the CAD files and I don't need to scan it ], but I can't imagine they want someone sending out free parts instead of folks buying them for $35/each.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    LOL - I'm sure they read this forum so if they want to send me one I'll send it back after scanning it [heck send me the CAD files and I don't need to scan it ], but I can't imagine they want someone sending out free parts instead of folks buying them for $35/each.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
    I'll be happy if you're proven wrong too, but not gonna happen

mtbr member
    So maybe a dumb question but...any reason to cover that up at all? I guess keeping grit out of the threads in case you every DO want to use them. But is there some other reason I'm not thinking of, beyond aesthetics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    So maybe a dumb question but...any reason to cover that up at all? I guess keeping grit out of the threads in case you every DO want to use them. But is there some other reason I'm not thinking of, beyond aesthetics?
    You can put a bolt into the threads without the cover so it's just for aesthetics.

If you spend $3K+ for a bike frame - having it look finished is a reasonable expectation.

What's ridiculous is Pivot charging $35 for the part. Just include it with the frame.

Nobody will care if a $3300 frame costs $3265 or $3335 and if they included them with each frame the volume and less handling should knock that $35 cost way down.

OTOH charge somebody $3300 for a frame and then later as they build the bike have them realize that they need to spend $35 more for a small part that should be included with the bike results in a pissed off customer.

I bought a $700 Surly frame they included a bunch of small metal parts req'd to set up the bike in various configurations that not all customers would need, but by including the frame was complete.

Heck I bought a $299 On One frame and it came with multiple dropouts so you could setup the bike in various ways. Most customers probably won't use 'em, but they included them.

From a PR point of view it boggles the mind that you would sell one of the most expensive frames in its category and not include that part.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yep, agree on it being a little lame. Some frame manufacturers ship frames with seat post collar some don't. Heck when i bought a Banshee frame it shipped with a spare derailleur hanger, seat post collar and seat post (and self destructing pivots). I was frustrated with Pivot customer service when my shock bolt broke. It took 4 weeks to get a new one. I called Pivot up and they made me go through the shop I bought the frame from. The shop is in Utah and I am in NJ. So the bolt had to go to UT from AZ and then NJ. Turner or Knolly would have sent one in the mail straight away direct to me. I broke rockers once and Turner overnighted the replacements to me.

mtbr member
    To make things easier...instead of 3D scanning can someone who has that little cover and a set of decent calipers measure all the dimensions [including the location and size of the hole] for me?

I can work with that.

Measure a few times and send me all the results. I'll average out the errors.

Close up photos of both sides wouldn't hurt either.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast