Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

That little Direct mount space...cover it up?

28K views 148 replies 36 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
i've seen Pivot has a derailleur mount cap but WHAT!? $35 for an inch square piece of aluminum! Screw that!

Ibis has one for $5. Great now shipping costs same as the part.

I think I'll just use a sticker or leave it bare.

#105 ·
Spoot, is that milled out of delrin (acetal)? I don't know if I'll have time to make one before I leave for the summer, but I might mill it on my CNC router out of either G10 or clear plexi then paint it.

Maybe after this summer once I get a cooler, I'll mill one out of aluminum too.

#111 ·
Hi all, I am in the process of building my Les. What are you guys doing on the other end, where the front derailleur cable meets the frame from the shifter on the down tube? Is there a blank cap available, one without a hole in it that would lay flush with frame? It would make the frame look tidier if there was such a thing.

#114 ·
Hey Vik,
I just mailed out a handful of black nylon flat head screws to you for the DM covers you make. I got 25 of them for less than $10, so I figured I'd give you some to include when you send the covers out (if you want.) Not sure how long mail will take but hopefully they show up before you mail the next batch out.

#122 ·
Hey Vik,

Let me know if you run out of those flat head bolts, I've got way more of them than I'll ever use! At some point I may want to tool around with the DM cover you sent and see if I can incorporate some sort of rear pivot shield that will protect that "rock grinder" area in the pivot. If I destroy my cover in the process, I may be hitting you up for a new one :p

#127 ·
Covers for the following folks are in the mail:

- Ryan S
- Justin K
- Bruce W
- Brett W
- Travis P

I've got covers to go out to Europe, Asia and Oz which I'm aiming to mail this weekend.

If you have already asked for a cover before today's date you'll get one.

I'm going to stop making 3D covers now. I think we've met the major demand for them and I would like to spend some time making up some aluminium CNC'd covers. Just too little free time to work on both.

#129 ·
Vik, this should be a victory for you! The Pivot guys were doing a demo in our area last week and I had them check out my bike. They loved my build and the Derby rims. Also gave me a free Pivot t-shirt which was cool. Funny thing is, the first thing he asked me is if I had a 3D printer. I laughed and told him the story about these covers as somewhat of a middle finger to the establishment/pay it forward campaign. He really liked the cover. If they keep dropping their price, they are going to put you out of business! :thumbsup:

BTW, great guys as always on the Pivot tour. We addressed the cable rub and yoke creaking. They are definitely well aware of the cable rub and had me cross my cables above the shock to limit the bowing. Jury is still out on that. He filed down part of the yoke where the screw goes in to round the sharp edge and take off the paint. He felt those are the 2 main culprits to the creaking. Mine only does it under very heavy load. He asked what my torque was and I had already put it up to 24 N.m.

#130 ·
Vik, this should be a victory for you! The Pivot guys were doing a demo in our area last week and I had them check out my bike. They loved my build and the Derby rims. Also gave me a free Pivot t-shirt which was cool. Funny thing is, the first thing he asked me is if I had a 3D printer. I laughed and told him the story about these covers as somewhat of a middle finger to the establishment/pay it forward campaign. He really liked the cover. If they keep dropping their price, they are going to put you out of business! :thumbsup:
What you mean my whole retirement plan is in jeopardy??? :( ;)

Ibis is out of stock of covers at the moment, but they sell AL covers for $4.95. Might be able to score one at an Ibis dealer if you have one nearby.

#132 · (Edited)
Hello ppl!
Few weeks ago i've get 1x10 transmission with 11-42 cassete and 32T NW chainring.

And then i've realized, that derailleurs place looks not so good at all!

Then i've found, that those covers are invented and selled for up to 35$! :D
Today i get my own! :) Want to stamp whole "brandname", but due lack of space i have only Q letter! :D
Made from steel. Heavy, but for free!

Now everything looks nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.