Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

That little Direct mount space...cover it up?

28K views 148 replies 36 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
i've seen Pivot has a derailleur mount cap but WHAT!? $35 for an inch square piece of aluminum! Screw that!

Ibis has one for $5. Great now shipping costs same as the part.

I think I'll just use a sticker or leave it bare.

#78 ·
3D covers going to the post office in an hour. :thumbsup:

- Andrew M
- Martin S
- James B
- Brent H
- Mike J
- Nate A
- Mike O
- Gary M
- Andy S

The only favour I'd ask is I'd love to get a photo of the cover on your bike with a post-it note in the frame saying "Thanks Jon!" or "HCC rocks!"

Jon is my boss and his company is called HCC. We used his equipment, materials and time to create the covers so a little sign of appreciation would be helpful when I suggest it's time to CNC some covers out of AL or whatever the next goofy bike project is. :)

#84 ·
Glad you guys got them and are pleased. A little primer and a hit from a spray can and they could look really nice and match your bike's accents. :thumbsup:

Glad I could help out.

A few years ago a MTBR member machined me a custom seatstay brace for an old Heckler so I could get clearance for bigger rubber. He wouldn't take any $$. :)

This is a great community. Just want to do my part to keep the good times rolling. :cool:

#86 ·
Ended up finding a screw at Orchard Supply. Painted it black after installing it. With some dirt on it you won't be able to tell. This completes the look. (sorry for an Ibis intruding into the Pivot forum, but dw-link love all around!)

Orange Machine Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Cable
Orange Machine Bicycle accessory Synthetic rubber Office equipment

Not sure why they rotated...

Thanks again Vik and Jon @ HCC!!! I'll check out the CNC/CF options to come!

#87 ·
Ended up finding a screw at Orchard Supply. Painted it black after installing it. With some dirt on it you won't be able to tell. This completes the look. (sorry for an Ibis intruding into the Pivot forum, but dw-link love all around!)

View attachment 880876 View attachment 880878

Not sure why they rotated...

Thanks again Vik and Jon @ HCC!!! I'll check out the CNC/CF options to come!
No worries I'll de-rotate it. ;)

Glad you like it. :)

Ibis is a great brand. I was thinking I'd be on one for my new bike, but the HDR wasn't the bike I was after and the M6 fit my needs better.

I'll definitely give Ibis another shot next bike.

#89 ·
Vikb,
Thank you very much for 3D mount. It completed my build. It was very generous of you and is a testament to the awesome community we all belong to.

Cheers mate-If you ever find yourself in Colorado, we'll take good care of you.
Awesome. Yup community is what it's all about. You can ride alone, but between advocacy for land access, trail building, design & manufacture of gear, service at a LBS and just folks to share your stoke - you realize no man is an island! :)

In the past I have stayed away from CO - partially because the riding there is great when the riding at home is great, but also because my choice of bikes has always been beefy AM rig or beefy rigid 29er bikepacking rig. I haven't felt like I had a bike to climb high, ride long and conquer before epic rides like I feel the monuments in CO are like...however with the Mach 6's I think we have that problem licked! ;)

#90 ·
I'd love to ride in BC this summer. I've been out there on some snowboard trips and was blown away by the beauty, environment, culture and people. I need to bring my bike out there soon. I'm coming off a Rocky Mountain Slayer and even though I only have a couple of rides on my Mach 6, I can already tell that the M6 is a far superior bicycle. Thank you again for the 3D mount.

#94 ·
Gee, I've been away and as the OP, it's nice to see how this thread has blossomed into such an outpouring of support and comraderie. It's gives me a warm fuzzy feeling...(blossoms budding all around, birds chirping). Okay, thats enough.

I missed the early party but how can I get one of these sweet little covers?

#100 ·
Hey peoples

I've been working on these (slowly) for a few weeks now and somehow just stumbled on this thread. Really amazed I didn't find it earlier in my "research phase" But here is a working prototype I made last week. The logo is for a bike shop in Az. I'd be happy to make some with texts or logos.

And I definitely don't want to steal your hype Vik. Your's are badass.

Green Plastic Symbol Number Toy block

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.