Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks again Vik for taking this on. Your viewpoint is the same as mine. I didn't even realize I needed this part until I received the frame. They really should just include it, and yes, even adding to the price to include this piece is far better than having to call up and figure out you need to spend $35 more. These little things go a long ways towards customer service. I don't even mind ordering a replacement hanger as this is a replacement part. But having to buy a part to cover up an unfinished looking area is quite another issue.

mtbr member
    Vik, can I just buy one and send it to you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Vik, can I just buy one and send it to you?
    Yes! I will only need it for a day or two and I will send it back your way.

PM me for a mailing addy.

My boss was just saying the other day no point having all these machines/tools if we can't do something fun with them occasionally! He's a RC jet plane hobbyist so he'll "get" why we need to make this part.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sign me I for one when you've got it figured out... Id mail you a 12 pack to cover your expenses, but it would be cheaper to send cash for you to buy your own!

mtbr member
    I'll lay up a decent sized sheet of carbon and hopefully be able to CNC a shwack of them in one go.

I won't take any $$. This part should come with your frame. I can't change the way Pivot addresses this issue, but I can solve the problem for other folks.

If we cross paths in person I will accept a pint though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Can't believe these don't come with the frame! Just ordered my Mach 6 and expected it to be included. Has anyone had these turn up with their new frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vosh View Post
    Can't believe these don't come with the frame! Just ordered my Mach 6 and expected it to be included. Has anyone had these turn up with their new frame?
    I ordered mine 4 days ago, got it 3 days ago (thanks Arts Cyclery!)
    No little blinky cover part thingy with mine.

mtbr member
    Ah well. Will need to check with the bike shop then. Won't get the frame till April. They bloody should come with a frame this expensive. And that's not just my cliched Scottish tight with money side speaking! Ha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great discussions fellas.

vikb, that's awesome you're offering these to us. I would like one too if that's okay.

It's just too bad Pivot didn't include these little pieces. Or at least charge a fair price, which obviously $35 doesn't seem fair to most of us Pivot owners who forked over $3k on a frame. OUCH!
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Yes! I will only need it for a day or two and I will send it back your way.

PM me for a mailing addy.

My boss was just saying the other day no point having all these machines/tools if we can't do something fun with them occasionally! He's a RC jet plane hobbyist so he'll "get" why we need to make this part.
    Just found out that my buddy has one and he happens to be an engineer. I should have the CAD file for you tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Just found out that my buddy has one and he happens to be an engineer. I should have the CAD file for you tomorrow.
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Long Live the Gorn!
    Saw these $15 plastic in colors

MTB Front Mech Blank Plate by jam1ec on Shapeways

Ibis plain black Aluminum $4.95

Front Derailleur Cover ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

mtbr member
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Me too. What file format would you like?

mtbr member
    Me too. What file format would you like?
    I'll PM you to tune up the logistics.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm a little surprised Kenbentit hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. Any official word from Pivot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I'm a little surprised Kenbentit hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. Any official word from Pivot?
    FWIW - I chatted with a LBS Pivot dealer up here in the Great White North and they said they would provide that cover with the frame. However, it's unclear to me if they would just be buying the cover and taking the loss on it or if that's any change in policy regarding the small parts provided with the frame only.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Just an update and a little feedback needed.

I talked to my boss he's happy to help out and donate the time/equipment. I'll buy him beer to cover materials and supplies.

He suggested some revisions to the part to make it easier to produce fast and cheap. I wanted some feedback on your thoughts before we went ahead. No point making 'em if folks wouldn't be happy with the result.

- we need 16 layers of carbon to build up to 4mm of the body of the part
    - we are thinking of using carbon top and bottom for cosmetics and fibreglass in the middle layers to save on the pricer materials
    - I'll sand the edges and then paint them black to match the carbon so it looks nice
    - there is a 3mm deep locating rib on the bottom of the part that keeps it from moving
    - that would require essentially double the material layup and then we'd have to machine 90% of it away again
    - my thought is to skip that rib and just dab a dot of Shoe Goo/seam seal on the mount to stop the cover from moving
    - this is easily removable by hand with no residue if you want to get rid of the cover at a later date
    - instead of bevelling the bolt hole for flush mounted hardware I was thinking of just a simple hole with a small cap bolt
    - makes part easier to build and won't be noticeable from 3' away

Anyways let me know what you think. I'm trying to balance the level of hassle for my boss who has to help me with the CNC machining vs. the fit/function of the part.

At the end of the day it has to be something you want to put on your bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

AKA shitbird
    FYI, the Pivot front derailleur covers are more inexpensive now. I work at a shop and just ordered one for a customer, $15.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Cool, nice to have a bike builder listening in on their customers...now if they would just fix the rear cabling issue and go to a BB30 threaded BB!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just an update and a little feedback needed.

I talked to my boss he's happy to help out and donate the time/equipment. I'll buy him beer to cover materials and supplies.

He suggested some revisions to the part to make it easier to produce fast and cheap. I wanted some feedback on your thoughts before we went ahead. No point making 'em if folks wouldn't be happy with the result.

- we need 16 layers of carbon to build up to 4mm of the body of the part
    - we are thinking of using carbon top and bottom for cosmetics and fibreglass in the middle layers to save on the pricer materials
    - I'll sand the edges and then paint them black to match the carbon so it looks nice
    - there is a 3mm deep locating rib on the bottom of the part that keeps it from moving
    - that would require essentially double the material layup and then we'd have to machine 90% of it away again
    - my thought is to skip that rib and just dab a dot of Shoe Goo/seam seal on the mount to stop the cover from moving
    - this is easily removable by hand with no residue if you want to get rid of the cover at a later date
    - instead of bevelling the bolt hole for flush mounted hardware I was thinking of just a simple hole with a small cap bolt
    - makes part easier to build and won't be noticeable from 3' away

Anyways let me know what you think. I'm trying to balance the level of hassle for my boss who has to help me with the CNC machining vs. the fit/function of the part.

At the end of the day it has to be something you want to put on your bike.
    All of that sounds great, especially since you're trying not to charge us. I'd say you have full freedom to do what you think is good here. And we're all just thankful for your generousity.

I actually don't mind a little bare metal spot, but if i can cover it, great.

As for the $5 Ibis cover. Did you notice the $5 shipping charge?

And eabos said $15. Interesting. Competitive Cyclist still lists at $35.

Heck, I'll wait for vikb's cover.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Okay cool. I just didn't want to make 'em and have people not want to use them.

I do QC at composites fabrication facility and it's been "one of those weeks" dealing with problems and problem people so I'm going to get things wrapped up and start the carbon layup Monday.

FWIW - I think the Ibis cover at $5 + $5 is a reasonable price if it's machined AL. The photo on their site looks like a prototype part out of a 3D printer though so I hope the text on that product page is correct and it's AL.

I don't think anyone ordering a M6 frame would be upset if it cost $5 more to get that cover with the frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vik thanks for taking this on. I for one will enjoy whatever you decide is best since you are the expert. Like I said before I have no problem contributing towards the cost. I know of four other guys now interested as well.

mtbr member
    I'm happy to contribute to the cost as well. Thanks for getting this going.

mtbr member
    No problem. No $$ needed. I'm happy to help out.

BTW - I realized I could whip a part up on our 3D printer pretty fast so if anyone wants one printed let me know. I can probably get that out to you in a day or so vs. waiting a week+ for the composite part.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I wanted to update those folks interested in a DM dérailleur cover. Work has been uber busy so I haven't gotten as far as I would like, but I'm still trucking on it.

Here is a 3D printed sample. It's just a first prototype so it's not awesome, but it would bolt right on no problem.

I'm going to try refining the product out of the 3D printer to see if we can get something nice enough to use that way.

I'm going to skip the carbon fiber option for the moment because I don't have time to mess with laying up the necessary materials until work slows down.

What I'll do next besides the 3D printing is get some covers CNC'd out of AL.

I'll let you know when I have something to ship out either from the 3D printer or the CNC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast