mtbr member

LES - One bike two rear wheels for SS to geared?

Maybe this belongs in the SS forum but I thought I would post it here.
    I am demoing the LES in a few weeks and was wondering about making it my ONE do it all bike.

I currently have a 29er softtail set up 1x9 and a hardtail 29er SS. I am guessing with the carbon frame on the LES and the right tire pressure the ride will be magic carpet ride and I won't miss the soft tail when riding geared.

I ride 60% geared and 40% single speed. Mostly flowy, singletrack with wheels on the ground. I have a Enduro for riding technical terrain.

Was thinking why not have just one bike (and two rear wheels) instead of two bikes?

Would love to set up the LES with the XX1 drivetrain with a 32T on the front and be able to swap out the real wheel to (ahem, quickly) change between SS and geared.

I read somewhere that in SS configuration the rear hub would have to be 135 w spacers and the geared 142.

I know I could swap out the chains quickly but my question is let's say on a moments notice I want change from SS to geared or vice versa, is this going to be way too much of a headache with removing the rear derailleur and messing with the cables and readjusting?

Is there a quicker and easier way to convert the bike on a moments notice?

Thanks....

Not just famous; infamous
    It depends on what you mean by a moment's notice. Let's see:
    1) Swap dropouts.
    2) Swap rear wheel.
    3) Swap chain.
    4) Attach/detach rear derailleur.
    5) Attach/detach rear shifter.
    6) Run/remove cable and housing.
    7) Adjust shifting/chainline.
    8) Adjust rear brake alignment.

How quickly can you do those eight things? I was thinking along the same lines as you on the versatility, but it seems like quite a trade off in set up time every time you swap parts. I think it's doable, but (for myself anyway) I'd need to decide what setup I wanted well before the actual ride took place to avoid mechanicals on the trail. YMMV.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought.
    Wondering If I could skip 4, 5 and 6, leave the grip shift on the bike and tie off the RD or remove without much headache when going back to geared. My mechanical skills are average.

I saw a guy once who changed between the two and just zip tied the RD. Looked sketchy though. Was wondering if anyone had real world experience w this.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... of course, you could just slide the shifter pod over so you can't reach it... that will help you to remember not to shift...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dog that crossed my Mind. Leave it in 32F and 21 or 18 rear. Too bad grip shift
    didn't come with a lock out lever.

I actually tried that once on my 1x9 and said I was not going to shift but
    did any way's to speed up on the flats and bail out on the hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The RD is bolted the dropout so #4 would not be necessary.

Running a trigger shift would make #5 easy.

The biggest PITA in swapping between SS & gears would be the shift cable. Shame it's not external then you could remove it with the RD/dropout & shifter.

mtbr member
    You might also take a look at the new Niner One9 RDO. It also has the ability to change the rear between geared and SS and since it uses an EBB both geared and SS use 12x142 rear axles. You would simply have to swap the drive side rear dropout between the geared version and SS version. No need to change non drive side or brake caliper mount. If your EBB is set in the correct spot for your SS chain tension you should be good to go geared or SS. Just remove the rear derailleur and tie off the cable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a LES 29 and it is not a quick change. I run mine SS in the winter and will switch to XO1 only for specific races or mountain rides. With the XO1 32T front ring at least I don't have to change that.
    I have contacted the company and talked to them about offering a SS speed build from the factory which they currently do not offer.