mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Lefty on a Mach 5?

Anyone out there running a Lefty on their Mach 5? Any info, comments, or opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Lefty Coil

I installed coil version of Lefty on my Mach 5 in fall of 2010. It works better than anything (Fox Talas, Rock Shox Revelation Team, Bomber 44 RC3 Ti). I am very pleased with Lefty so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Lefty on Mach 5 photos

Od Pivot Mach 5

Od Pivot Mach 5

Od Pivot Mach 5

The white clamps on lefty does not match the rest of the bike colors. I am thinking of repainting them...

too late to die young now
    Pablo - sure the Lefty works great while the bike is on a trainer ... how about once it hits the dirt?

(hehehe - couldn't resist)
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Lefty Performance

Sure, few thoughts should be added

First of all I was very sceptical about cannondale's headshok solution. But I was dissapointed with my previous forks and I wanted to try something new. I think that it is difficult to find and tune fork for light rider like me (60 kg/132 lbs) even playing with the oil thickness. Maybe I am fussy or I just want to have properly working suspension.

Insltalation process is a little bit awkward in comparison to traditional forks. Nothing complex but sometimes third hand would be helpful. I used cannondale's headtube adapter for installation. I replaced stock spring with soft one. After few rides I was frightened by clunky noise which had nothing to do with reseting bearings. It turned out that more preload should be added to the spring - strange noise has gone.

As far as I remember crown to axis length (if we could say so) is about 4 mm longer than in case of Bomber RC3 Ti fork. Additionally, a stem is mounted much higher than headset due to Lefty clamps. So that configuration might be uncomfortable for those of you who have only one spacer under the stem.

First what I noticed with Lefty is literaly zero stiction, it works all the time, it is very sensitive to very small bumps. It is strange that you cannot observe dirt on you stanchion and you don't know how deep the suspension actually goes, you can only see that cable brake is dancing all the time. Yes, these are also pedal induced motions. I like small bumps sensitivite so that is no problem for me but it can be reduced by using compression knob. On the other hand on flat terrain lock out works great.

Middle bump compliance is also great. Fox damper is not very sophisticated but suits my taste. Of course the key element is appropriate stiffness of the spring otherwise damper adjustements are not very wide.

I am very pleased with the plushness of the ride with Lefty. The problem is that rear shock does not match with Lefty sensitivity. Hopefully, that will change after pushing the schock.

I did not have occasion to test Lefty on something bigger like 2 foot drops but what I can tell is that this thing is stiffer than I thought considering sharp turns. It is evident that my front wheel is softer than Lefty OPI strut.

My only concern is about possibility of bearings corrosion. Is the boot and seal system enough good to withstand rainy weather of polish fall and sandy terrain of Tricity? We will see. Lefty was tested for about 4 hours in really heavy rain and so far everything under the boot is clean. It is nice that I don't have to clean stanchions after each ride like in a traditional fork but I have to find how often should I look under the boot (I did it only once).

It is not enough testing time to judge configuration of Mach 5 with Lefty fork. But so far I am very pleased with this couple

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pablo
    Hey thanks a bunch for posting some pictures, I appreciate that you took your time to do so. What headset are you using? Are you using a Project 321 adapter?
    Isn't the Lefty an amazing fork?! I have a Carbon Max SPV on a Cannondale Prophet 4X with a DHX 5.0 and I really enjoy riding that bike. Super stiff feeling. I've torn a Lefty down for service, it's not easy, but I now understand how the fork works. It's brilliant. No stiction, there's just no way. So smooooooth! When I had my fork taken apart and the internals sitting there on the bench, I was messing around with the empty fork. It's so damn cool. That assembly slides so effortlessly. I also have a Marzocchi 888 and Marz 66, and neither of these forks match the feel of a Lefty. At least in my world...
    I can't wait to build-up a new ride for my kick-ass-awesome girlfriend. Shooting for a Mach 5 in chica pink with a Carbon Max SPV. All we need is the frame, headset, and 321 adapter.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondudeOhio
    Pablo
    What headset are you using? Are you using a Project 321 adapter?Cheers!
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Adapter: Cannondale's adapter (it was easier to get this one in Europe than Project 321 adapter).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pablo,
    !Muchas gracias, senor!