mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Lateral Flex on my 5.7c

So a few rides back I noticed that my Mach 5.7 carbon had a bit of lateral flex (the rear end noticeably moves left/right when under pressure), and on Sunday's ride I heard quite a bit of creaking. At first I thought this is just the nature of a full suspension bike, but my brother's new carbon full-suspension bike shows no flex of this kind whatsoever.

So far I've checked the suspension bolts to see if they were loose and they all seemed quite tight (I didn't over tighten). Any thoughts on what the issue is? I'll be taking it into the bike shop in the next few days for a more formal analysis, just hoping to hear back from somebody who has seen this previously, or heard of any potential fixes.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I'll bet you have a bearing issue in your lower DW-Link. Take it to your dealer, and ask them to service it. If the bearing has failed, and it's under a year old, it will be replaced under warranty.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Check the SL Link (above the BB) I can almost bet its a bit loose. Had a customer bring in his mach 4 after a 12hr race and said it was creaking and had no idea where it was coming from. I didnt check for flex but the bolts that go thru the SL link were loose and dirty inside. Cleaned them out and torq'd to spec, all good no more creaking.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It could also be the wheel. have the lbs make sure everything is in order.

I'm Slow
    I noticed this on one of mine. One of the bearings had failed in the lower link.

bend over and push the crank down with one arm and look at the link and you can probably see if its coming from link.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My pivot had a similar problem and it was the dw pivot. Local bike shop took care of it. Happened again but this time it was the wheel! All my spokes loosened up to the point the wheel was wobbling back and forth. Both issues resolved but I have walked out of the woods way to many time. Oh I also blew my fork and had to send it to fox via bike shop,. All covered under warranty but I have never had issues like this with any bike ive ever owned. Still waiting for my replacement wheelset but my shop gave me a loaner wheel to get my ride on. Good luck with your pivot. Great frame!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bike has been dropped off at the shop.

Mrjoshuanyc, what wheelset was this with? Mine are the DT Swiss Tricons and I haven't see any problems thus far.

mtbr member
    My 5.7c had a problem like you explained. when i put it up on my work stand, I could hold the back end of my wheel and push and pull the wheel side to side. As I did that, I could see movement in the lower blue link. Ended up one of the low profile bearings was totally shot. After i took the lower link off, I could pull the inner race out of the bearing with one finger with no problem, the ball bearings were crushed into pieces. Strange thing is, this was after about 6 rides on the frame.

I am thankful to Pivot as they took care of me right away by sending my dealer a new link. no problems since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My original wheelset was the charger comps. Got a free set of replacement charger pros. Way beefier wheelset. Hope it holds up to my riding style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    I'll bet you have a bearing issue in your lower DW-Link. Take it to your dealer, and ask them to service it. If the bearing has failed, and it's under a year old, it will be replaced under warranty.
    Yes had exactly the same problem, and was the lower DW link bearings.