mtbr member

Just Finished the EWS Colorado on my M6

Great event and Winter Park was awesome. Courses were overall very good with a lot of people saying it was the most physical race of the year so far. Euro's were not happy since most of them got schooled in the more bike park oriented format. Did not see a ton of M6's there, maybe 10 total.

Overall after the experience I would say if there is anything you think the bike can't do short of a WC DH course it is the rider and not the bike holding you back. It was absolutely rock solid all weekend with my only mechanical being a broken spoke in practice. Big shout out to the quality of the Derby wheels as well since it was still dead true and I continued to ride it for the rest of practice without incident. Courses ranged from Trestle DH and fresh cut backcountry singletrack to an 11 minute XC pedalfest.

One other point, I got to check out the M4c in the Shimano booth. Very nice looking bike and Di2 as much as people will want to ***** about it, is killer. For people running FD's it eliminates the need for a left shifter and the built in battery compartment is killer. Not a ton of action pics, but here are a few for your viewing enjoyment.

Have to take at least one selfie on the lift

If people ever ask why run a 160 fork/bike

Yep, every single run

Elevation hurts

My teammate out of the gate on Stage 1

Joe Lawill legend and Shimano marketing guy on his M6 launching out of Stage 1

Finished up for the weekend

16 hour drive home completed

Overall I had a blast and learned where my weakness is on a larger format race (fitness!).

Pivotal figure
    Did you meet our mechanic Taylor there? He won his class (19-39 Am?)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Keep on Rockin...
    Cool pics and thanks for the report.

Riding Winter Park last year was some of the most fun I've ever had on a mountain bike. Went out with a friend who raced the EWS. Did my riding on a 5 inch trail bike. My time there inspired me to get back into some degree of gravity riding, and inspired me to get a bike this year that I could do a little bit of everything.

I picked up an M6 a few months ago. Amazing bike that can do an awful lot. Have not been back to Winter Park, but have had the bike doing everything from cross country to downhilll. Even spent a day at Whiteface with it. Can't wait to get back to Winter Park with it. I think it would be the perfect bike to have there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Did you meet our mechanic Taylor there? He won his class (19-39 Am?)
    Unfortunately no. Wish I had though. Did he win his class? I saw something about an M6 on top of the podium.

Miker, no doubt it is a great bike for Winter Park. Simply did everything well out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks awesome! I saw on instagram you were in the top 10 in your class, congrats! I just moved out to LA from Denver and I will miss going up to Winter Park or Keystone a few times a month. How does Snow Summit / Bear Mountain compare? I just got my Mach 6 last week and would like to head up there sometime in the next couple weeks if it's worth the drive.

Pivotal figure
    edit

Pivotal figure
    So far he's won all the rounds of the CO series. Gonna have to turn Pro soon

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Unfortunately no. Wish I had though. Did he win his class? I saw something about an M6 on top of the podium.

Miker, no doubt it is a great bike for Winter Park. Simply did everything well out there.

mtbr member
    M6 looking dialed. Always look forward to your post thank you for the review. You got that nomad built up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    So far he's won all the rounds of the CO series. Gonna have to turn Pro soon
    There is always next year to turn Pro. No sense in doing in mid year! That would be my excuse at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyso View Post
    Looks awesome! I saw on instagram you were in the top 10 in your class, congrats! I just moved out to LA from Denver and I will miss going up to Winter Park or Keystone a few times a month. How does Snow Summit / Bear Mountain compare? I just got my Mach 6 last week and would like to head up there sometime in the next couple weeks if it's worth the drive.
    Thanks! Big Bear is fun but a different type of park. The jumps were more kicker than speed in comparison. Still a lot of fun though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    M6 looking dialed. Always look forward to your post thank you for the review. You got that nomad built up?
    Nomad is not built up yet. Starting to get everything together for it.

mtbr member
    So having done Winter Park, which bike would you choose for next year? M6 or Nomad?

PS: thanks for the race review. Sounds like a great event.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Just Finished the EWS Colorado on my M6

Yeti SB5c or SB6c 😜

mtbr member
    KRob, sorry I have been travelling for work and not been on here. No call yet on that since I only have 2 rides on the Nomad and am just getting it setup now. My gut tells me the Nomad would have helped in certain situations such as Trestle DH and Mountain Goat. M6 was plenty fast on those, but the Nomad might have given a little more confidence.

Fadl the M6 and Nomad are much closer together than the SB5/6c. Rude's 5c had a 170 fork on it despite what some of the press was reporting. It was a very similar setup to the people running HD/R's in 275 mode with 160 forks.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 08-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.