Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Always pushing harder!!!

Itching for a 429...

Does anybody know in what range will weight be? I'm planning on getting one later this year or early next year and use it for racing. I have a Mach 4 with a mix of X0 and XX, Maguras and Mavic SLR (Cobalts just for regular riding).

Anybody has a similar setup or a fll XX or X0 and share some feedback? Local dealer doesn't have one for me to test ride. I love my Mach 4...will I also love the 429?

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the weight, but I was just reading in a Mountain Bike Action mag that the 429 was such a success that they are not yet caught up to the demand for the 429. You will probably have to order one from the dealer and wait for it. Chances are if you love your Mach 4, your going to also love the Mach 429. Same bike but with 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    My medium 429 is 27.2 lbs.

Full 2x10 X.0, King/ZTR Arch/Sapim wheels, Talas fork, Thomson Masterpiece, RF Deus handlebars/stem, lunchbox, Specialized SWORKS Captain 2.2 tires (with tubes), Candy 3 pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    2011 Small 429 XTR, stan's Race wheelset, carbon saddle, XT pedals, Hutchison Python Tubeless ready 26 lbs.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Stock XT M Mach 429 is around 27 or 28 lbs.
    Lot's of options to go lighter now, but don't get hung up on the weight. Though it's important, having an efficient bike is far more important.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

M429 Xl

Stock XT kit is 30lbs. Very balanced bike. I have changed a few things...

Haven Bar
    Haven Alloy wheels
    Fox 29 Talas fork
    Thomson seat post
    WTB saddle

Have not weighed it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a small with XX and some carbon bits it weighs about 26lbs. Great bike, can't comment on a Mach 4 but you won't be dissapoionted with the bigger wheels!

mtbr member
    dan23 says 27/28 and cphil says 30 lbs for a stock XT build. That is quite a difference in weight. Which one is it?

edit - did not originally see the difference in frame sizes - that will obviously count for some of it.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 03-10-2011 at 05:50 PM.

mtbr member
    @bauhaus: the frame sizes appear to be different (M vs. XL), and likely not weighed on the same scale.

mtbr member
    Speedgoat's website has weights listed for their bike builds. It looks like a medium XT kit is in the 28.5 lb range.

http://www.speedgoat.com/News.aspx/L...archText=pivot

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    dan23 says 27/28 and cphil says 30 lbs for a stock XT build. That is quite a difference in weight. Which one is it?

edit - did not originally see the difference in frame sizes - that will obviously count for some of it.

Dan's is a Med, mine is an XL. The tube set is size specific, so heavier for larger frames.

Oh, I have Shimano M647 pedals on mine. That would make it 1/2 heavier compared to regular XT pedals I think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj
    @bauhaus: the frame sizes appear to be different (M vs. XL), and likely not weighed on the same scale.

True! I am in CA, Dan is in AZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Its an awesome bike even at 30lbs. Feels really quick and responsive, not the normal 29er. Great for XC... for me anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil
    Dan's is a Med, mine is an XL. The tube set is size specific, so heavier for larger frames.

Oh, I have Shimano M647 pedals on mine. That would make it 1/2 heavier compared to regular XT pedals I think?
    Thanks - I did not see your frame size in the title. Makes more sense now.

mtbr member

Yep, and my L XT build came in at 29# without pedals. So all those numbers sound about right!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Always pushing harder!!!
    My guess is if I go for a 429 is that it would be a size M since TT is as long as a L in the Mach 4...I'm considering building the bike...$$$ and weight will be big factor...Still this is my end-of-year project for next season...

Thanks for the input...
    Last edited by carlostruco; 03-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Mine is a size small with a tapered steerer Fox 15Q with XX and I-9's. It's in tank mode right now with some 2.25 Ardents mounted for winter riding, but with IKON's on it's at a race weight of 25 lbs. AWESOME rig, I love it.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Stock 2010.5 (Talas fork, 3x10) XT build, size large + XTR pedals + rim tape + 2 scoops of Stan's each + 2Bliss Captain Controls (2.2, 2.0). 29.5 lbs. changed to Easton Havens and tubeless (same tires) + 2 scoops Stan's each. 29 lbs. Park scale rounds to nearest .5, so these weights could be off a few tenths just from rounding.

I changed to Haven's for the UST aspect since I didn't like dealing with rim tape.

WheelDancer
    I'm also looking at getting a 429 but am not sure about sizing. The large has the same TT and stand-over as my hardtail (Fisher, Paragon 29er) but I'm hearing you should size down for the Pivot.

Any insight would be welcome!
    Just another cyclist dancing on the pedals.
    http://wheeldancer.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AgileCarbon
    I'm also looking at getting a 429 but am not sure about sizing. The large has the same TT and stand-over as my hardtail (Fisher, Paragon 29er) but I'm hearing you should size down for the Pivot.

Any insight would be welcome!
    I have a large ( 19) 2009 Paragon it has a 105mm stem stock and is the same as my Medium PIVOT 429 with a 80mm stem. I have a longish torso and shortish arms and the fit of both is perfect
    Strongy

WheelDancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strong
    I have a large ( 19) 2009 Paragon it has a 105mm stem stock and is the same as my Medium PIVOT 429 with a 80mm stem. I have a longish torso and shortish arms and the fit of both is perfect
    Thanks!

I should have mentioned that I am 6' with a 32" inseam and have a longish arms & torso. My commuter is a Long Haul Trucker 60cm which fits great and I also have a large Karate Monkey but the cockpit is a bit cramped.
    Just another cyclist dancing on the pedals.
    http://wheeldancer.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have 32 inseam and am 184cm or 6ft even. Thwe medium Pivot 429 is the go.
    Strongy

Fat & Single
    At 6ft you should go the large IMO, even know you have only a 32" inseam you must have a long torso so longer reach.

Im just over 5"9" and ride a MED, my mate is 5'11" and ride a large comfortably.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member

Mach 429

So what did PIVOT do exactly to shave a pound of weight off the Mach 4 and could similar weight savings be achieved on the Mach 429??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    So what did PIVOT do exactly to shave a pound of weight off the Mach 4 and could similar weight savings be achieved on the Mach 429??
    I think that the Mach 4 lost 5/8 or a lb - still a lot of weight.

Here is a drawing that I saw that showed where they shaved weight off of the Mach 5 with the new 5.7. I would guess that many of the areas would be similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Itching for a 429...-mach_5_7_frame-720x465.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast